How long does it take to do a 100 hour on an R44?

RkyMtnHI

Just wondering how long it takes (i know, it's relative due to the ship and all the little issues found), but on average, how long do you have to give up your ships for inspections?

two of our ships have less than 1200 hours, one has around 600 if that matters.

seems like ours take up to four or five days.... but there is mostly only one mechanic on the job at all times, so, i guess the amount of hours spent could be a more accurate estimate.

thanks for your time,

dp

I had one done recently (300 hours on the clock) and they show 24 man hours. It lists 100/300 hour inspection, annual, altimeter, encoder, elt. Total for all work done was 2,900.00 CAD.

Matt

Depends ;) I've seen them done in a day, pretty rare. Ours usually take about 4 with one mech and a helper if everything goes smoothly with no extra parts needed or problems. Now if it's over a weekend and the shop is closed on sat and sun then 4 can turn into 6. Parts can also be hard to get from the factory during the weekend.

Mechanics are funny, if you try to rush them they just take longer. Helicopters are funny too, if you really need them ready asap then they have a tendency to be needy. Especially a robbie.

I guess the answer is about 4 if everything goes right but when does that happen in helicopter world?

100 hour on R44 average time is around 12 man hours. If you are getting charged $2,900 for doing a 100 hour with no replacement parts you need to find a new mechanic or shop to do the work.

Robinson also lists suggested time for doing required maintenence such as 100 hours. These are to calulate costs, cost per hour of flight, etc. If you go to their manuals, website you can find those suggested hours.

It has been my experience that it is very worthwhile keeping an eye on your maintenance while it is being done. Plus check the bill very carefully. I have found myself double and triple billed for stuff and billed for time that the mechanics were working on other aircraft. The bigger the shop the more likely it seems this will happen. It shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 days. Maybe a day longer if they have not done one before. Plus whatever time it takes to repair any discrepancies they find.

The answer to your question is... It depends...

Is this a working aircraft that has a full time mechanic who knows it front to back?

Is this a helicopter going to someone new who has never seen it before?

Is there one mechanic working on it part time? 2 working on it full time?

All of those answers will affect the outcome.

• 2 weeks later...