A600 Talon

Roondog

Sorry if this a double post. I forgot a topic on the last one. Question is, does anyone have experience with or opinions about the Rotorway A600 Talon? Will it have a place in the training market now that it does or will have FAA certification?

I know they are TRYING to get it certified, dont think its slated to happen until 2011. I like their supercharger concepts on paper..have never flown one.

The best thing about the Talon is the model that shows it off in their new ad. However, I will say that I was hooked at about age 9 on buying and flying a Scorpion....kinda dates me. I guess I owe my love of choppers to their ads.

Goldy

I thought they were trying to get the Exec certified? Guess I could just look at their website, but I figured a useless post was in order.

Nope, its a useless post. Its the new Talon they want certified..

Will it have a place in the training market when certified? Yes.. although it is a crowded market. The talon is a great LOOKING aircraft. It tries to address some problems with the exec that made it more of a "toy" helicopter. The talon is still underpowered compared to all the other helicopters in the training segment. It will be interesting to see if they can certify that engine and what changes that will entail. It has good numbers... better cruise than a 300 but way less power and useful load. Pretty similar flying qualities of a R22 but with more inertia, little more gross weight. Really the Talon is just an Exec with a tail rotor drive shaft and cog belt drive... (I know there's more but that basically sums it up).

My opinion of the helicopter is that it is still more of a "toy" helicopter for the recreationist. I have my doubts that it will pass certification testing without some major rework.

Hey guys...just FYI Lyn and I recently visited RotorWay and I am finishing up editing the video. Lyn gives his opinion on the Talon after taking the controls for a bit.

Keep an eye here on the boards and at JustHelicopters.TV for more info....

Jim McNeill

Executive Producer

JustHelicopters.TV

• 2 weeks later...
I know they are TRYING to get it certified, dont think its slated to happen until 2011. I like their supercharger concepts on paper..have never flown one.

The best thing about the Talon is the model that shows it off in their new ad. However, I will say that I was hooked at about age 9 on buying and flying a Scorpion....kinda dates me. I guess I owe my love of choppers to their ads.

Goldy

Goldy -

Were you hooked by the chopper or the model...? :D

Bad News.. looks like an A600 went down at Chandler Muni this morning. Was apparently in a low hover and dropped hard...

http://www.azfamily.com/news/homepagetopst...9.de9b7c26.html

Good news is the CFI and student walked away..

We're still putting together that story, so stay tuned!

Why were they doing training in an experimental/homebuilt??

Rotorway has their own flight school to train purchasors of their aircraft before delivery. The student was probably a future owner that needed either initial helicopter training or type training in that airframe.

See more about the flight school in Rotorway's video series online:

Rotorway Videos

From what I heard, the fuel tank on the Talon is tiny, you only get 45-60 min worth of flight. I would think it would be tough to do much training in something like that.

Don't know, just what I heard somewhere.

Scott

I really don't think that they will certify the talon any time soon. I built a 162 with the turbine conversion, and made many improvements as I was building it. Kit helicopters aren't the same as what comes out of the factory-plain and simple. Then you add in the fact that some builders really aren't qualified to change the oil in their lawnmowers, but somehow they are authorized to build a helicopter (in the eyes of the feds). I'm not saying that it will never happen, but they really need to incorporate a new engine that will go beyond 2-300 hours without tearing it down. The Talon would have to be built under a factory setting to even consider certification. The Rotorway is still a sweet looking and reliable ship, fun to fly, and gets more attention than my R44 when parked side by side. There have been some guys out there making some great improvements on the original design, which the Talon now incorporates, and there are still some improvements under development.

post-5661-1240494737_thumb.jpg

post-5661-1240495381_thumb.jpg

post-5661-1240495449_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Just curious as to when we get to see the video of the Talon done by Jim McNeil and Lyn?

Hey there 'dog!

Should be pretty soon. Not sure how long the cut version will be. Really just an overview of the helicopter and me getting a little stick time. We did get a great interview which covers some of the history of the company, as well as their intent with new turbine Rotorway.

I was the hold up on getting it done. While we were at Rotorway, I did one of those walk up intro's on video. Then we shot for a couple hours. The next day, Jim and I parted ways and I headed back to FL. Afterward, we found out that we had somehow recorded over my intro.......doh! So from my home office in FL I had to act out me getting a phone call, being sent to Phoenix as the new intro. We will see how that goes. :blink: I am new in front of the camera so I am still trying to figure it all out. I finished the intro last week so Jim should be finishing up soon.

I will also be writing a full article for Rotorcraft Professional Magazine on my experience with Rotorway in the near future. I will say this........compared to other light piston helicopters..........you get a lot of helicopter for the money. I was impressed with the Talon from a pilot/aircraft owner standpoint.

Stay tuned.