Bell or Eurocopter? What's your preference?

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Bell
    • Eurocopter

Hey everyone -doin this for part of a research project and appreciate your responses.

<_<

Do you, as a pilot, prefer Bell of Eurocopter?

Why?

What model(s) have you flown, and in what kind of operation [tour, fire, etc.]?

Edited by DeLtaFoxY

Me thinks you might want to get more specific with your question. Are you asking for the operators point of view, the pilots point of view, or the average person who is bystanding and saying "look at the pertey chopper" :D ? Are you looking for particular models with emphasis on the performance of each one or just the look of each manufacturers different machines?

Maybe you could include a poll in the original post with more specifics. Just a thought. Sorry for hijacking.

Without specifics, there's no question to answer. Two different engineering philosophies answering the problems of helo operation in different ways:

Bell- generally easy to hover excepting power, T/R authority; really good autorotation, but crash very, very badly. Prefer the bigger Bell types to old tech Eurocopter/Aerospats;

Eurocopters- Fly really well and compromise hover to do so. Generally speaking, more powerful than Bells. Poor electrics compared to stuff built this side of the pond. Yes, I know about the Mississippi and Texas plants.

Edited by Wally

Each has their strengths and weaknesses, but speaking strictly as a pilot, it's no contest. Eurocopter. Great ergonomics. Smooth, quiet and comfortable with lots of shoulder, hip, head and leg room.

Hi

I'll fly whatever my employer puts on the contract.

There are a lot of open ended variables with such a question...way too many to list in all honesty!

There isn't the all encompassing machine that solves/fits the customer/contract requirements. That's why there are so many models and manufacturers around the world building a variety of machines to fill specific niches.

My personal preference would be Bell, and it is just that as a pilot...a personal preference.

IFlySky5

Bells. :wub: no other company has had such an impact on the helicopter industry, b47 the first commercially available helicopter and still going in a few roles. the huey nuff said, cobra, the first attack helicopter. jetranger most popular small turbine for how many decades.

what was eurocopters first heli how many on here know? was it the A star otherwise known as the deathstar!! :o

Bells. :wub: no other company has had such an impact on the helicopter industry, b47 the first commercially available helicopter and still going in a few roles. the huey nuff said, cobra, the first attack helicopter. jetranger most popular small turbine for how many decades.

what was eurocopters first heli how many on here know? was it the A star otherwise known as the deathstar!! :o

Go away kid, yer botherin' me.

Well do you want to know Eurocopter's first helicopter, strictly as Eurocopter? As a company, "Eurocopter" didn't come into being until about 1992. It's a grouping of companies that came together, primarily Aerospatiale of France and Daimler Aerospace of Germany. The AS350 (A-star), design was originally an Aerospatiale product (hence the "AS" designator), and it first flew in the early 70's (so it wasn't the first "Eurocopter"). It too is pretty ubiquitous, and is pretty hard to knock as a workhorse. I'm not certain what came before the Alouette in the Aerspatiale line-up, but I think it first flew in about 1951. Does that fairly answer your question about Eurocopter's first helicopter? if you are talking strictly as "Eurocopter", and not the dynasty companies that made up Eurocopter, the first newly certified ship was probably the EC120 if I'm not mistaken. I would say that the assertion that "No other company has had such an impact on the helicopter industry" paints with too broad of a brush. No doubt Bell is significant. But there have been other very significant companies, Sikorsky being at the top of the list. Just my two cents.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, there's two Eurocopter models that spin the right way...the EC135 and the EC145. I'm starting to sound like a Eurocopter apologist. :)

I'm curious...why do you think they changed on those two models ??

i seem to remember this coming up at the factory course on the 120. i believe it has to do with where the different helos are built and or designed, the ones with the "normal" rotating MRs are designed in Germany, the others in France??

dp

i seem to remember this coming up at the factory course on the 120. i believe it has to do with where the different helos are built and or designed, the ones with the "normal" rotating MRs are designed in Germany, the others in France??

dp

That's exactly right. The 135 and 145 were originally Bolkow designs from Germany, prior to "Eurocopter". The Germans build blades that go the "right way", for some reason the French just have to march to the beat of a different drummer.

The 145 started life as the Bolkow BK117, prior to EC.

That's exactly right. The 135 and 145 were originally Bolkow designs from Germany, prior to "Eurocopter". The Germans build blades that go the "right way", for some reason the French just have to march to the beat of a different drummer.

So there you have it eurocopter is theiving designs now eh. cant even make up there mind as to which way the blades should spin!!

Yes we know sikorsky was first but the thread starts with 'Bell or Eurocopter'

I'm off to watch mash to see if i there's any eurocopters on it. :P

thanks for the info on eurcopter but the blades still spin the wrong way. :D

So there you have it eurocopter is theiving designs now eh. cant even make up there mind as to which way the blades should spin!!

thanks for the info on eurcopter but the blades still spin the wrong way. :D

Are you taking the piss or are you just adverse to reading?

Hey everyone -doin this for part of a research project and appreciate your responses.

<_<

Do you, as a pilot, prefer Bell of Eurocopter?

Why?

What model(s) have you flown, and in what kind of operation [tour, fire, etc.]?

Haven't flow either of them, but the Eurocopter looks keen, sounds awesome and appears very ergonomic. Who really cares which way the blades turn. I want one!

Rotorrodent

i was taking the piss i'm sure. this really is just mines better than yours style of debate.

for what its worth i fly robbies the little ones too. i have flown a 47 and jetrangers but never eurocopters. although i've heard they are quite nice for the pilot except for the hovering bit. B3's are supposed to be a particularly good machine. until you try to get parts support for them. (that comes not from me but a friend who operates 4 of them).

To answer the threads original question of whay machine and why then my favorite is the 47. you really 'fly' a 47 as opposed to driving it.sure its slow and old but its tough and forgiving and really give's you a sense of the true freedom of flight.

Humour people.