Attention So Cal helo pilots !!

Goldy

HAH, gotcha!

I knew you couldnt resist reading this thread. PHPA has their upcoming safety seminar coming up on the 29th. This is always a great event, even better this year since LASD Air 5 will be there.

Here is a link to the flyer.

I'll be the tall good looking one working the check in desk.

http://www.phpa.org/2009/2009%20Safety%20Sem%20Flyer.pdf

Seriously, hope to see you all there.

Goldy

HAH, gotcha!

I knew you couldnt resist reading this thread. PHPA has their upcoming safety seminar coming up on the 29th. This is always a great event, even better this year since LASD Air 5 will be there.

Here is a link to the flyer.

I'll be the tall good looking one working the check in desk.

http://www.phpa.org/2009/2009%20Safety%20Sem%20Flyer.pdf

Seriously, hope to see you all there.

Goldy

That looks like fun! I'll try to make it!

J-

Hi

There aren't too many things I miss about flying in SoCal...but events like this is one of them!

Goldy if you attend be sure to get pics for us.

Regards,

IFlySky5

That looks like fun! I'll try to make it!

J-

Justin - we usually get 20 or so military pilots there. Coast Guard, Los Alamitos sends a couple, Army sends a couple, and so does NG.

Justin - we usually get 20 or so military pilots there. Coast Guard, Los Alamitos sends a couple, Army sends a couple, and so does NG.

Yeah... I was thinking one of my pilots was going to be down there... He's an IP with LASDs aviation section.

J-

Ugh... I just realized it starts at 0800. Hopefully someone at Los Al is taking an AFTP and flying out there so I don't need to get stuck in horrific traffic!!!

J-

I SO wanted to go. Just not a good time for me with clients and all. Wish it would have been an evening thing.

Looking forward to hearing about how it went

derek

The best part of these events is really the social aspects. You get to meet and greet with a lot of local pilots from all walks of life. Federal, Military, Police, Fire...everybody's there.

I have some great photos of Jeff and Rob in the ABLE 120 as they fight over who's in control of the aircraft on take off...nahh..j/k. But I think the 2 Huntington Beach PD ships had to take off first and lead the way. Some guys get lost and confused in the high altitudes of the San Fernando Valley! (800MSL)

I'll post some photos once I figure out why I cant download from my camera. It was pretty cool watching 5 ships taking off from the tarmac. The 412 blew so hard a couple guys had to hold down the wings of a Cessna nearby. Not sure I would park a Cessna on the ramp between an AS350 and under the rotor of a B412!

Good times always.

Goldy

I saw the guys holding down the wings of that Cessna as we departed, and certainly knew it wasn't for me or the NOTAR ships. I too had to question his logic in selection of parking locations. There was still plenty of ramp to the south. I think he just wanted to be close to the gate. Good seeing you Goldy.

ok, download completed !

Here's a taste of what you missed if you didnt attend:

EC120AV8R would be in the left seat...or is that him in the right one??

Edited by Goldy

EC120AV8R was in the left seat and doing the flying. I was in the right seat "monitoring". He is working on his CFI so I made him fly from the "wrong" side.

EC120AV8R was in the left seat and doing the flying. I was in the right seat "monitoring". He is working on his CFI so I made him fly from the "wrong" side.

Eagle- dont even get me started ! I flew the 44 down to TOA last week in the "wrong" seat. Blew me away how hard a time I had getting my coordination down. The 15 knot crosswind didnt bother me, but holding it solid in a hover sure did.

Oh well, more practice required for that one.

Goldy

It is amazing how much it changes your perspective the first time you try it. I have found that most fly way out of trim. I will comment on it and the response is usually "but I can not see the slip indicator from over here". Then I reply, "Ok, but can't you FEEL that in your rear"?

It dose change your perspective. I found the main problem I had was after I set the helicopter down I realized I parked it really crooked.

However, with time it becomes second nature. I had primary students and CFI students so I was swapping seats all day long as a CFI. Then the EC130 I flew was left side drive as well. Now I don't even think of it anymore.

Wish I could have been there. I want to take the family up to the Helicopter Show in San Carlos in June.

JD