Utah Valley and helicopters?

BigBear

Some recent threads have mentioned college (specifically Utah Valley) as a possible alternative source for flight training funds. As a current student of Utah Valley nearing graduation from the Bachelor degree program I would recommend including education in the flight training process. I personally cannot comment on the validity of recieving funding through college, as this was not an option for me.

Utah Valley State College (UVSC) is now Utah Valley Univ. (UVU). With the switch to Univ. status there have been some changes. Most notably a new message states that; for flight classes an airplane certificate and written test results must be submitted to meet the requirements. In the past, helicopter certs. and tests were acceptable. There is a grandfather clause for students who were enrolled in these types of courses previously, but new helicopter students will not be eligible for these classes. Helicopter students are now required to enroll in aviation admin. courses as opposed to professional pilot courses.

This should not affect me, as I'm nearly finished and will fall under the grandfather clause. Just thought I would make folks aware. The courses an Utah Valley are definatly fixed-wing oriented, but heli pilots are smart enough to learn the heli info. on thier own and learn the fixed wing specifics to pass the course. I'm bothered that heli pilots are no longer eligible for these courses. The pro. pilot courses are much more interesting and pertinent to flying than admin. courses. Not to mention the reduced course load, taking ground and flight courses that are concurrent with training is a lot less work than taking added administration classes along with training. Maybe with some added interest from heli pilots looking to start training and earning a degree the school will take notice of thier helicopter students. Also, it can't hurt to mention this issue and even complain to the school (in a polite way) that we would like to be included as pilots as well.

Thanks for the info. I've just attained my "less than 1 year to go" mark before I discharge from the Army after 4 years of crewing blackhawks. I'm looking into a few schools right now, 2 of them being Universities with flight programs (UVU included, as well as University of North Dakota.) One of the commissioned guys I know in my unit, attended UND and had nothing but great things to say not only about their flight program, which fixed wing and rotary training was attainable, but the University as a whole.

I'll be sure to check more about UVU after what you said. Thanks!

Ragman, you should check out Leading Edge Aviation in Bend, OR www.leadingedgeavn.com. They're a part 141 school which accepts the GI bill, and partner with Central Oregon Community College if you want to go the degree route http://aviation.cocc.edu/. Bend is an awesome town to live/train in. High DA and mountain flying, plenty of aircraft/instructors, commercial turbine operations, etc. There's talk of a new GI bill program which would cover 100% of flight training if it goes through..