Training in an Enstrom helicopter

I trained in an Enstrom F-28a in South Texas at a school called Salaika Aviation. I cannot say enough good things about the school or the aircraft. I am not trying to pitch a sale for the school, but the helicopters are great. You cant ask for a better trainer. I am now flying some turbines, 300c's, and R44's and I am a firm believer that flying that helicopter helped me get to where I am today. The helicopter requires more attention, as well as a pilot that can ACTIVELY stay on top of it. the newer Enstroms have correlator's in them, which is nice. The A model I flew in had neither a correlator or a governor. So flying that aircraft was 100% on the pilot. The autos in the Enstrom are great as well. Nice and smooth with a heavy rotor system that can really store some energy in it. I know that I went from Enstrom, to turbine, to 300c, to R44 and every one has been an easy transition. I don't know that the other way around would be so effective. Ive flown with people who have never done a lot of governor off work, and the lack of governor/correlator really kicks some peoples butts. another nice thing on the enstrom is its stability. You can trim it out, and it will damn near fly itself. the helicopter really is a forgiving machine and a blast to fly when you get the hang of it. I think when I did my training in 2006 I was paying around $230/hr for helicopter, instructor, and fuel .

Go fly one! you'll love it

Clay

I flew the 28A at Salika also. Since the ship I flew was an instrument ship, it was heavy and add a 260+ pound instructor, I was not impressed with the performance. I am currently flying a 28C and flew a 280C. I am happy with their performance. The biggest thing to get used to is the turbo lag. Once you get comfortable with that, I don't thing there is a helicopter that you will have a problem with as far as handling the engine.

What does flying the 28C cost for you these days?

Depending on what I am doing, the costs vary a little. Cruising around I burn about 10gph and if I do mostly takeoffs and landing and hovering, it burns around 13gph. I do my own maintenance as allowed by the FARs. And I assist in the annual. Oil burn averages about a quart every three hours. I added an after market oil filter, so I change my oil every 50 hours. I shop around for the best prices on quality and you will surprised where I have found aircraft oil for sale.

I just sat down and figured out that I am spending about $56/hr in direct operating costs and around $100/ph in indirect operating costs. Those figures are without reserves. Since I purchased this helicopter used, I decided not to plan on reserves until the component was overhauled before I decide to start the reserve process. If I do it or not will depend on the IRS rules at the time.

• 2 months later...