Quality of life for a family.

Okard

Hello everyone, my name is Garrett, I am 18 years old and am very intrested in becoming a Helicopter pilot.

I live in the Texas D/FW area and have a few flight schools around me. I have been doing alot of research in to this and am very excited. I'm in a very good position to begin this career, I live at home and can do so for the next few years to save money, my parents will support me till I am done with my training so i can train full time.

Problem is I keep reading posts from professional pilots talking, they make sound like if I am lucky enough to get a job I might be able to make enough money to own a small shack even if I have a few years of experience and it's really only worth it if your passion is flying.

I am a very big family man, I'm sure I want a wife and kids in the coming years so how well would I really be able to support a family? Will I be home enough to see them? I would think working as a Helicopter pilot at a local place wouldn't cause me to be gone all the time.

Will I make enough money to support them without living pay check to pay check just to afford the simple things? I would love to fly but not if it means my family would struggle.

Any information (even if harsh) will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Garrett.

First things first, before you start down this road, make sure you are going to have access to all the money required to finish. I didn't say have all the money, just make sure that you will be able to consecutively train for your ratings. Nothing was more difficult than seeing my students going full tilt and then having to stop because they ran out of funds. Take whatever number the flight school tells you and add 20%. After all is said and done, everyone ends up spending more in the long run.

As far as the family life goes, most pilots will tell you that it all depends. What is your standard for family life. If you want have an 9-5 schedule with weekends off, then it would not be a good move. Even the best schedules out there require a "non standard" hitch. I work two weeks on two weeks off, which is fine for me. After a couple years, it tends to get a little annoying working a non typical schedule. While I don't live paycheck to paycheck, the loans I used to train make it hard to have the average lifestyle most Americans enjoy. I don't own a house, and probably will not for a while. I'm fine with that, but like I said, it all depends on what your desired standard of living is.

If you want my honest opinion, if I were you, I would look into going to a college to get out of the house. Helicopters are great, but they aren't the only neat profession out there. Get out, experience the world, get a little maturity and life experience before you commit to an expensive life changing decision. Now is really not the best time to be getting into this industry; it will calm down, but you don't want to be sitting two years from now with all your ratings and $800 monthly payments and no job saying "now what". Because there are plenty of people out there doing that already. Helicopters will still be here in a couple years, and at least you would be able to save a little cash and make an educated decision before you rush into this.

I'm not trying to discourage you from pursuing your dreams, but make sure that it really is your dream before you rush right in.

Thank you very much for the reply, I greatly appreciate it.

If this is what I decide to do my parents can pay for it even if I do throw on an extra 20%. what I have worked out now is my parents can and will pay for what I want to do and then I will pay them back over the years. I really wanna do this and have wanted to for the last few years.

Starting now feels like it would be the best time to get started. Since I dont really want to move out I have no expenses at all, I have free gas, food, car everything I need really. So that will allow me to take classes everyday, then when I get a job I can work full time and put almost all my money in to paying them back. I have this set up for the next 3-5 years of my life, so I should be able to pay them off and by the time I have to move out I can be sitting pretty with a few years of flight under my belt and no schooling to pay off.(atleast that's the plan but we all know those never work out right)

As far as schedules go I have always loved odd shifts, working a sunday to get a tuesday off or taking a night shift over a day shift, so 2 weeks on 2 weeks off sounds really great to me.

Also I should have included I dont plan on having a family soon, I meant more like 8-10 years down the road.

One last thing... I am only 5'3, 135lbs... is that an issue? I can put blocks on my shoes if needed. haha.

If you have real family support, being a professional pilot is a pretty good gig- a week or two at home, regularly, is a real benefit. It's tough to do, as you will be away from home when important family events occur. That grinds on family members, even if you come to terms with it. Far too frequently it causes serious issues with relationships, divorce is very common amongst professional pilots -some of that is due to the characteristic of the personality common to successful pros. My first wife couldn't hack it with the best intentions in the world. With the right partner, it's still hard but I wouldn't do anything else.

Having kids is especially tough. My wife understands why I leave...

P.S. The best pilot I ever saw was a little blonde not much taller than you- she had to carry ballast for some aircraft types.

Edited by Wally

I know alot of the jobs are 1 or 2 weeks on then 1 or 2 weeks off, now during those 2 weeks I am on am I just gone from home from the start till the end? even if where I am working is 15min away from home is that still 2 weeks were I am not allowed to do anything it's just work work work?

Well, after hearing more about your situation, it sounds like you've thought it out and have a good financial plan for getting through it.

Just remember what I wrote in the previous post about the current job market. Most civilian pilots these days get their magic 1000 (more like 1500 now) instructing. And with the economic situation combined with financing drying up (Sallie Mae just quit giving loans to flight students) you might find yourself either with only one or two students or worse no job. Just remember it is a gamble, but if you work at it you will get there eventually. :D

There are many different schedules for different companies, so you need to realize that things can change. You'll also need to be prepared to move often, and some family members don't adapt well to that, especially children. 14/14 is a poor schedule IMO, because 14 days is too long to be away from the family, and the other 14 is too long to be with the family, in some cases. On either a 14/14 or 7/7, you'll be away from home much more than half the time, because of travel time, recurrent training, workovers, etc. I missed lots of important events for my wife and kids, including birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas, Thanksgiving, concerts, graduations, and the list goes on and on. You absolutely must have an incredibly strong marriage, and incredibly forgiving children. Otherwise, you'll inevitably be a victim of AIDS - Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but you should know the truth before you commit your life to something. Aviation is not a family-friendly vocation, and it's even more so for a helicopter pilot. If you want to continue knowing this, then good luck to you. BTW, size really doesn't matter, nor does physical strength. Hydraulic systems do the heavy work for you. Other strengths are far more important. 135 lb is far better than 235, because that's an additional 100 lb of payload available (or fuel). Lighter is better, and you can always carry a bag of lead shot if you have to.

Edited by Gomer Pylot

I know alot of the jobs are 1 or 2 weeks on then 1 or 2 weeks off, now during those 2 weeks I am on am I just gone from home from the start till the end? even if where I am working is 15min away from home is that still 2 weeks were I am not allowed to do anything it's just work work work?

You're not ordinarily confined to a compound. That said, you have to remember that helicopters are useful where ordinary surface navigation stops as a practical, economic proposition. The folks using helos are very aware that every minute counts and is chargeable, so they want you as far forward as possible and want as much bang for their buck as possible. That's all to say that sometimes even a 15 minute drive might be too far after a few 14 hour days.

It depends on the job. Most that have 7/7 or 14/14 schedules are not in places where most people would want to live - that's why the schedule is the way it is, so people can commute to the job, and not have to drive every day. Port Fourchon, LA, is not my first choice of a place to live, and I would never move there, but I've worked there.

If you're 15 minutes from home, you can go home every night, of course, but the normal 12 hour (or more) schedule doesn't leave a lot of time to do much during your hitch. Jobs near normal cities tend to have different schedules, but they all tend to be 12 to 14 hours per day when you're on schedule. Never plan on getting off before 14 hours, and even that won't be possible once in awhile. There are no 9 to 5 aviation jobs that I know of.

I wanna take a look down the road, let's say if I got a job as a pilot right now (assuming I have training and everything) and I worked full time, 10 years from now would I have a good chance of being able to get a job in the DFW area? doing whatever works, Ems, law enforcement w/e.

I know I want this and I can handle pushing through the hard times even if they last years and years but by the time I'm in my 30s, (12 years from now) will I be stable or am I gonna be moving from job to job and never feeling like I have job security?

My dream is to live in the area I currently live in and not have to drive more than an hour to get to work, but still make decent money. Decent being the average wage for a pilot, I am willing to spend you know the next 10 or so years working for that. Is that practical or am I just reaching for the stars?

It depends. There could be 8 hours of flying (10 if it's a 2-pilot ship) or there could be none. The FAA allows 14-hour duty days, so companies take advantage of it. On EMS jobs, it's usually only 12 hours, because there are two pilots, day and night, but if you catch a flight at 11 hours and 30 minutes into your shift, you have to complete it, and it could take more than 14 hours total, with the return trip, or part of it, being flown under Part 91. You then get 10 hours off, and your relief gets to cover until you come back. On offshore jobs, you're on duty until you can't make a trip, or until the manager lets you go. Sometimes you can go to your quarters, sometimes not, it's a crapshoot, depending on the base and the management.

Why would that be so hard? I believe there are a pretty good amount of helicopter jobs in the area, alot of hospitals, different police departments and there are news companys. Pretty much any time I go outside I see atleast 1 bird in the air, so why after 10 years of work is one of these jobs so hard to land?

Please note that I am in no way saying you are wrong, just simply asking for more information as to why it is so hard to obtain.

14 hour days? What exactly is involved in that long of a day - do you get to take a nap? - How much of that time is actually flying? - Is there allot of sitting around at the rig?

That all depends. Some days you sit, might even get a nap; some days you're working as hard and as fast as you can until you have to stop. Your only 'hope' of a break on the busy days is that you'll reach max crew duty (8 flying hours single pilot, 10 2-pilot) and have to stop flying. You can't physically fly every duty second, you have to prelight and prep, plan, fuel and service the bird, and load or supervise that.

The busiest day I ever had in the GoM, I timed out between 10-11 duty hours. EMS, 8 hours single pilot logged took a little over 14 hours. There is very, very little slack in a day like those. One day of working like that isn't too hard in the summer's heat and good weather. Two days doing it and you'll feel it. After that, it's a question of stamina, especially in the GoM.

OKARD,

It sounds like you have a real passion and determination to become a helicopter pilot. You also have the means and support to realistically achieve your goal.

There are plenty of folks that will tell you you will likely never have a normal family life, never earn a living wage, never get a full nights sleep, etc. Well, that may be true, but maybe not. Some helicopter pilots with 1000's of hours are unemployed right now. Others with less than 1000 hours work 9-5 M-F and earn well over $100,000/year. The odds might be 10 to1 against you achieving all your goals, or they might be 1000 to 1.

You'd get the same advice (and have similar odds) if you were an aspiring film maker, archaeologist, or clarinet player. If it's what you want to do and you have the means, then just do it.

Hello everyone, my name is Garrett, I am 18 years old and am very intrested in becoming a Helicopter pilot.

I live in the Texas D/FW area and have a few flight schools around me. I have been doing alot of research in to this and am very excited. I'm in a very good position to begin this career, I live at home and can do so for the next few years to save money, my parents will support me till I am done with my training so i can train full time.

Problem is I keep reading posts from professional pilots talking, they make sound like if I am lucky enough to get a job I might be able to make enough money to own a small shack even if I have a few years of experience and it's really only worth it if your passion is flying.

I am a very big family man, I'm sure I want a wife and kids in the coming years so how well would I really be able to support a family? Will I be home enough to see them? I would think working as a Helicopter pilot at a local place wouldn't cause me to be gone all the time.

Will I make enough money to support them without living pay check to pay check just to afford the simple things? I would love to fly but not if it means my family would struggle.

Any information (even if harsh) will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Garrett.

Life is about the experiences and the journey. Not the destination. So get out there and enjoy the choices you make and learn wisdom from those choices. Every choice you make will take you down a pathway that branches out into thousands of other pathways. Don't be too eager for the family thing at your age. It will all come in time. Start your journey first of all, then you will pick up that family along the way. Several different pathways later in fact. A little secret, pilot training and families do not go together well. Established career pilots and families do!

As for the flying? If that is your choice, by all means do it. However, don't do it because you think that it will make you financially sound. Aviation requires dedication, steadfastness, perserverance and the ability to not give up. You must eat, sleep and drink aviation. There is no link between an aviation career and financial wealth. You will make a living and you will survive. We all have. I know very few people who are professional pilots who say "I wished I had done something else". I do know 100's of folks who say, "I wished I had become a pilot". FWIW

Helicopter or Fixed Wing. Your choice. Both are great and each has specific satisfactions and rewards. Don't be too concerned with the current job market. It will rebound. Aviation goes on a 30 year cycle. The last one was in the 70's post Viet Nam. 10,000 pilots and 1 job available. The past 30 years has been awesome! Today is about the same but with the world wide economic concerns. Life goes on.

There are no regrets in life, just disappointment from "poor" choices. But that's how we learn wisdom and balance. You probably won't have a million $ house flying helicopters, but flying helicopters is sure much more fun than spending all of your time maintaining and cleaning a million $ house!!

All the best in "your" journey and welcome to aviation!

(song from Harry Chapin...."she took off to find the footlights, and I took off for the sky")

cheers

Rotorrodent

Thanks for the encouragement palm, it really does mean alot to me. I know everyone has been trying to make sure I know how harsh it can be so I dont screw myself, so hearing things from the positive side makes me feel better about what I know I want to do.

rotor, you're right, if I just focus on getting to one place in my life then I'll let all the other great times slide by and never really appreciate them. I'm not looking to get rich quick but I am looking to have a great time doing something I love.

I've decided this is what I want to do, I have talked to my family, friends, girlfriend of two years and they all support me 100%. I have a flight school called Epic Helicopters about 5 to 10 minutes from my house so I am going to look in to their school.