Distance Education

Hi all,

I'm a 26 year old who is very commited to making the right choices for a career in flying. The school I'm planning to attend is a part 61 and I need to be able to get some financial assistance, also I would like to have as broad a knowledge base in aviation as possible to be marketable. I am new to the aviation world and I would like to totally immerse myself. On the other hand, both programs that I am aware of are out of state so the cost would be more than getting an unrelated degree from a local (Lake Tahoe, Ca.) school.

-Has anyone out there gotten a degree from these online programs and was it a good experience?

-How did financing work out and did you have a good chunk left over for flight training after tuition?

-What is the view in the industry of these schools (Embry Riddle and Utah Valley University) and what kind of benefits will a degree from one have versus the other in the job market?

-Are there similar programs out there that you would recommend?

I hope this is not too specific as this is my first post, I've been a lurker for a while. I really appreciate anyone sharing their experience.

HKing.

I can't answer all your questions but I can give you some info. I am currently a student at UVU nearing graduation. First, in my opinion you can't go wrong with a degree. I can't speak to the industry feeling for any school in particular, or even for a degree in general, but it can't hurt. There are only a few jobs that require a degree currently, however that may begin to expand. Especially with the increasing popularity of degree programs and integrated degrees in flight training (i.e. College of the Sequoias).

On the financing end I can't be much help. I was only eligible for several hundred in grants per semester, barely enough to cover books, but better than nothing. The federal student loan access is helpful I've heard, but not the path I used. Overall, the actual school experience has been positive. The courses are challengeing and helpful, but not overwhelming. It has been pretty easy to complete as long as I take time weekly to stay up to date. Be aware however that any classes related to flying are fixed-wing based. You must learn the fixed wing info for the course then be able to separate that from your flight training for helicopters. Not a big deal, helicopter pilots are smart enough.

Recently, UVU changed thier policy, they now require airplane certificates and FAA exams for the flight and ground classes. That means that if you are training to be a helicopter pilot you cannot participate in the professional pilot emphasis. You must instead enroll in the aviation administration emphasis. I can't say too much about that program as I made it in before the change, but there are two problems I have with the new policy. You can't enroll in the flight and ground courses that go concurrent with your flight training. These classes are basically credit recieved for flight training. They are pretty easy, a little review, (albeit fixed wing) then you submit your FAA certificate for the flight classes or your FAA written test for the ground classes. This means that in order to meet the requirements and credits you must enroll in other courses that might not be as pertinent or interesting and require more effort since the flight training isn't being considered.

I would recommend a helicopter specific degree program if you can find one. Also, I started the aviation bachelors degree program with an associates degree from a junior college. This allowed me to concentrate on aviation courses only. I was not required to take any general ed. classes. If you don't already have an assoiciates degree, you might consider completing an associates at the local junior college before starting an aviation degree. Talk to an advisor at the school about any college credits you have and how they will apply or thier policy on honoring an associates from another school. Good luck.

Thanks for your help Big Bear. If you don't mind another one, how do you think the info you learned in the fixed wing classes helped you as a pilot? By that I mean, is it just more the lingo and regulations or have you used the practical aspects of what you learned from the classes while flying?

Hi all,

I'm a 26 year old who is very commited to making the right choices for a career in flying. The school I'm planning to attend is a part 61 and I need to be able to get some financial assistance, also I would like to have as broad a knowledge base in aviation as possible to be marketable. I am new to the aviation world and I would like to totally immerse myself. On the other hand, both programs that I am aware of are out of state so the cost would be more than getting an unrelated degree from a local (Lake Tahoe, Ca.) school.

-Has anyone out there gotten a degree from these online programs and was it a good experience?

-How did financing work out and did you have a good chunk left over for flight training after tuition?

-What is the view in the industry of these schools (Embry Riddle and Utah Valley University) and what kind of benefits will a degree from one have versus the other in the job market?

-Are there similar programs out there that you would recommend?

I hope this is not too specific as this is my first post, I've been a lurker for a while. I really appreciate anyone sharing their experience.

getting a degree is a great idea. my only opinion would be to get a degree in something other then aviation( kind of like a back up plan too). A degree in business would go a long way. That way if you ever decide flying is not for you or have a medical probelm, you have a back up plan. Just my .02

spencer,

funny you say that... 'cause that's what i thought when i went to Riddle and got a Business degree... couldn't really find a great job doing the 'business' side of it, finally found a management job, and about 12 months later, BAM... they were out of business... yeah, i'm not so sure i'd do that again. Good degree though, learned things for my personal life.

CHAD

HKing,

The fixed wing info. was interesting at least. Most of it isn't much different than helicopters. The difficulty came in learning regulations that are different for planes vs. helos, like VFR weather minimums for instance. Not that difficult but extra workload for a new pilot trying to memorize so many things, and now having to separate the two. Also the classes assume you are a fixed wing pilot so the more advanced classes require a knowledge of manuvers specific to planes, like chandelles and lazy eights that we don't really deal with. At least not in the same way, rudder pressure and the like. It was interesting to study the areodynamic effects as they relate to airplanes. Sometimes this was helpful in seeing a new perspective of the same idea in rotorcraft, sometimes it was confusing. Overall it wasn't that difficult and having the perspective of a fixed wing pilot and a glipse of what they go through, as well as how they operate can be helpful. The problenm is you are not eligible for those classes now, at UVU at least, unless you complete an airplane FAA certificate and written exam.

Also, I agree with what Spencer had to say about diversifying by obtaining a degree in some other subject. For now anyways, the helicopter industry in general doesn't require a degree. Having a degree of any kind will be helpful, and when a degree is required a specific type (i.e. aviation) is not specified. There are no jobs that I have seen or heard of that require an aviation degree. That all could change in the future as I mentioned, especially with the increasing popularity in aviation degree programs. In that case we will be ahead of the game (imagine that!). Also, I assume that aviation employers would like to see that your degree, even if not required, is in aviation. Plus adding a degree in aviation while flight training takes a lot less effort in my opinion than taking on a degree in another area. Keep in mind also, that in most colleges adding a degree as a bachelors degree holder usually requires less than coming in without. So if you get an aviation degree now, getting a degree in something else later could be faster and easier.

That kind of sucks that UVU has phased out their Heli option totally. I was grandfathered for my Commercial and Instrument courses but now I won't be going back because I wasn't already enrolled in other classes. From here on out, any new signups must take Fixed Wing classes only. Kind of lame.

I here Embry up in Prescott is pretty cool. Nice weather.