axmen...

ohman

Who's the Nazi now?

Isn't it Nazi Week on the History Channel this week?

As stated, there was a discussion on Justhelicopters.com about this same topic and the pilot Steve Smith did join the discussion. Here is the link to that discussion. Steve joined the discussion about half way down the thread under the moniker of "fatnlazy".

He answered many questions in his posts. He may not have expected the beating he would get in the helicopter public eye after being made famous on a national tv show. He handled it well in my opinion.

Link Here

I just read that thread on JustHelicopters and it looked like only a couple of really assinine comments directed at Steve. I used to fly the right seat in a logging ship and I can tell you that you don't want to be there if you don't have to. A friend of mine tore his esophagus from vomiting so much from the right seat. I almost threw up my first time flying logs. Fortunately, it was so windy that the command pilot called it a day before I did. The first couple of days on a two week rotation were bad, but once you got used to it, you were impervious. I was always amazed at what gyrations the helicopter would be doing and it would have no effect on me at all.

Ah, so it was low rotor rpm horn and not a five minute fuel horn. Well, I guess I'll have to delete the one post and re-think what is seen and said on the tele.

What I thought was a little wierd was when Steve was burping and then shrugging his right shoulder. What does that do? Is that a tic?

Just wonderin'

Hey all,

sorry if this has already been discussed and dropped by the forum, but I was wondering if anyone has been watching the History Channel show Axmen? They've been following around a heli-logging crew in Montana, and frankly, watching their pilots scares the crap out of me, especially Steve who, according to the show is at roughly 100hrs long-line (no offense Steve if you're on the forum).

I hope it's just the gimmicks in the editing of the program, trying to make everything look worse than it is, but there seems to be a serious lack of safety, logging regardless.

If any of you pilots with experience have anything to say (ie. yup, that's how it is in heli-logging) I'd be interested to hear your comments.

Who know's, maybe being a CFI is more dangerous.

Also, the show is available to watch online

Never heard of the show until mentioned here. Took a peek at the online video and my first impression was, "theatric drama". For the guy to fly a Bell, longline, logging, he has to know what he is doing or he wouldn't be there. Having had my own Post Production studio, major editing tasks and the like; with editing, you can make "any" story you like.

The shows editors can make him look like a rookie when in fact the others factors are not seen in the production. When you see fast cuts between shots, you are usually trying to construct a storyline that doesn't follow the footage. They show the longline flying around on the ground, crashing through the trees etc...then immediately cut to the pilot (Steve) manhandling the cyclic like a first day student trying to hover. Bet ya, those two clips weren't even shot on the same day!

I have no experience logging let alone flying a Bell or even longlining, but I do know "drama" when I see it!

Cheers

Rotorrodent

Never heard of the show until mentioned here. Took a peek at the online video and my first impression was, "theatric drama". For the guy to fly a Bell, longline, logging, he has to know what he is doing or he wouldn't be there. Having had my own Post Production studio, major editing tasks and the like; with editing, you can make "any" story you like.

The shows editors can make him look like a rookie when in fact the others factors are not seen in the production. When you see fast cuts between shots, you are usually trying to construct a storyline that doesn't follow the footage. They show the longline flying around on the ground, crashing through the trees etc...then immediately cut to the pilot (Steve) manhandling the cyclic like a first day student trying to hover. Bet ya, those two clips weren't even shot on the same day!

I have no experience logging let alone flying a Bell or even longlining, but I do know "drama" when I see it!

Cheers

Rotorrodent

Hey I was right for once!

Lyn Burks pointed out external site where Steve talks about his situation. To quote from Steve himself.

"........ The show is scripted and edited so much that most of the conversations are not even close to reality. ......Most of you don't know me and most of you won't care, just keep in mind its not real, its TV."

rotorrodent

I just read that thread on JustHelicopters and it looked like only a couple of really assinine comments directed at Steve. I used to fly the right seat in a logging ship and I can tell you that you don't want to be there if you don't have to.

You should of said:

I used to fly the right seat in a logging ship and I can tell you that you don't want to be there if you don't have to be there.

The end of a sentence is not where a proposition should be at. :)

As stated, there was a discussion on Justhelicopters.com about this same topic and the pilot Steve Smith did join the discussion. Here is the link to that discussion. Steve joined the discussion about half way down the thread under the moniker of "fatnlazy".

Link Here

Hmm, we have a "FatNLazy" on VR as well......

You should of said:

I used to fly the right seat in a logging ship and I can tell you that you don't want to be there if you don't have to be there.

The end of a sentence is not where a proposition should be at. :)

That's an interesting proposition for a preposition. I ought not of put it there. :huh:

Tiercel, I shun thee over their there... is there another there there? Now Now there there. I shall repair to my lair, do you care? Is there hair under there? Their hair is fair fare. Later

I have done a several "reality" shows and let me tell you it's not "reality."

As another poster said these shows are edited to no end to the point that the real story gets twisted to provide more drama. It's TV guys/gals, not real life. Just because a show is labled as a reality show doesn't me it's all true.

Editors take bits of different interviews and camera shots and put it together to creat their own story line. Time has shown that the more dramatic a show is, the more viewers there will be. It's all in making money and increasing ratings. Historical accuracy is second to that.

JD

That's an interesting proposition for a preposition. I ought not of put it there. :huh:

LOL Check my grammar but not my spelling.

Propositions shouldn't be at the end of sentences either. :)

I just saw a new episode of Ax Men. Steve was replaced and the new guy seems to be doing well with Connor Aviation.

I am not a big fan of the theatrics of the show but it does emphasize that it is a tough job. It also shows the different methods used to log and that is interesting to me.

IIt also shows the different methods used to log and that is interesting to me.

When I was copiloting on a logging ship, I got to work with a few different command pilots. Most were really smooth, but we had this one command pilot who used the collective like a sledge hammer. I'd look over and see him pumping up and down on that stick like a UFC fighter pounding some guys face into a bloody pulp. I was always looking over my shoulder to make sure the rotor hadn't decided to go free agent and look for a less hostile work environment, but it hung in there. Eight hours of that a day for two weeks at a time. I definitely would not want to fly logs again.

On the last episode, where Steve is replaced, I noticed the new guy had the cyclic in his left hand and the collective in the right. I've never seen that, I assume its to be able to longline more easily from that side. If someone can shed more light on that it would be great. I rewound it like four times to make sure I saw what I thought I saw.

On the last episode, where Steve is replaced, I noticed the new guy had the cyclic in his left hand and the collective in the right. I've never seen that, I assume its to be able to longline more easily from that side. If someone can shed more light on that it would be great. I rewound it like four times to make sure I saw what I thought I saw.

that could be a case of them reversing the shot. I've seen it in alot of television shows. They will show a shot and then the mirror image of the shot to add a bit of variety i guess. I have never seen a helicopter with a left hand cyclic and a right hand collective.