Robinson Safety Course in June - Cheapish Accommodation

Hey guys!

I'm very excited because I'm finally going to be able to attend the RHC safety course on the 1st of June. On the letter they sent me almost all the accommodation is in the region of $80 per night. Perhaps that is reasonable, but I've just finished my commercial license and, well, you know what the money looks like then. I also have some terrible exchange rates to deal with. So, I've saved up, I have paid for the course, the airline ticket from Cape Town and all the visa application fees etc, but I'm going to have to live rather frugally when I arrive.

I've been looking at backpackers etc. on google maps, and there are a few in the region, but I'm not too sure what the transportation options look like. I'm also not that sure about renting a car since I'm used to driving on the left (ie. the correct side) of the road ;)

Do you guys and gals perhaps have some insight or experience for living on budget in Torrance? :) Will they let me set up a tent on the threshold of the runway? :P

Oh, I also see on the form I'm supposed to bring my own headset. I've never had the need for one since where I work the helicopters have their own headsets. Does anyone know if I can rent some somewhere?

Thanks kindly!

DF

Edited by DigitalFudge

Hey Fudge,

you will love the course.. as far as accommodations perhaps someone from Torrance can help you with that, or maybe someone here on the forum can share a room if they are going. I could have hooked you up last week but my guys are home now.

as far as the headset, Robbi has some you can use.. they are painted pink tho so be prepared for that! :P

there have been many posts about the class here, you can do a search and get some info about others that have gone.

aloha,

dp

You could probably try to find someone else to rent a room with, maybe you will have some luck here, it will cut the cost in half. I didn't rent a car, I got a shuttle from the airport to the Ramada. The Ramada is close enough to walk, and you will find a ton of other pilots are also staying there. I also found someone at the course who gave me a ride back to the airport on the last day so I did not have to pay for that. I wouldn't say you need a car, especially if you are tight on money.

Hey there

I LIVE In torrance. I know the cheap places to go, and a lot of which are walking distance from the ramada/robby course. As for a car... I suggest not getting one if you are not use to driving in heavy traffic. However, if you need a ride from the airport to the ramada I can see if I can't get you one. No promises, but if I can, I will. I've done it a few times for some of the guys and gals here on VR. Feel free to PM me, and I'll give you all sorts of ideas for places to go near KTOA and Ramada for cheap food, good food etc.

don't they offer a free r44 ride to LAX for those who stay for the whole week (fly on the last day)? i forget the details, or maybe it was just a one time thing, i dunno. worth looking into anyway. good luck.

If you pack light enough (the bag can fit under the seat in a 44), Robinson provides shuttle rides to LAX on Friday ONLY! I went for the first week in March, made sure to pack light and when I got there I found out they only run that for Friday but I was leaving on Thursday. :(

If you pack light enough (the bag can fit under the seat in a 44), Robinson provides shuttle rides to LAX on Friday ONLY! I went for the first week in March, made sure to pack light and when I got there I found out they only run that for Friday but I was leaving on Thursday. :(

When I did the course, I THINK I remember them also doing it on Thursday.... Not sure though.