Whale Warz

Witch

I caught part of Whale Wars on Planet Green, and someone, while during an emergency, nicked what looks like the trailing edge of a rotor blade leaving a small dent in it. The pilot and captain seemed to blow the damage out of proportion saying the blade might shatter or cause unusual flight characteristics.

My thought is the damage didn't look all that bad. Then I got to thinking aboot the axmen show and the dramatization going on there.

Thoughts?

Later

I do believe that in the fixed wing world, a propeller strike (even if the engine is not running) has a mandated engine tear down. Don't know from experience, but a guy I work with worked as a FW mechanic. And he has some pretty outrageous stories...

That and I do not know if I would leave my life in the hands of a dented rotor blade...

Edited by thrilsekr

If you are flying a ship with damage to m/r or t/r blades, you have now entered the catagory of test pilot. Only good thing about slinging a portion of a m/r blade is it will probably snap your neck so you might not have to endure the horror of the fall back to earth. I am reminded of the words of Clint Eastwood, do you feel lucky today?

Seems to me that the show is a great example of what happens when you put morons in charge of a boat and an aircraft.

What I took from that particular episode was the pressures that bosses will put on you to fly your aircraft and your own desire to complete the task, knowing that you're pushing the limits.

The initial decision after the pilot consulted with his mechanic on shore was to ground the aircraft. He explains the situation to the Captain...which is accepted, no prob.

At some point they changed their minds. Not sure why. They decide to test fly it, hovering close to the boat to check for unusual vibrations.... :huh: In the end, a non-event but I feel that you should always stick with your first instinct on these type of decisions, whether it is mechanical or wx related.

No flippin' way I'm flying damaged blades without some expert advice. There's enormous forces at work out there, example- the blade's centrifugal energy is often 20 times the weight of the aircraft, that's why they're rigid in-plane. Add fatigue and stress localization, and finally aerodynamic considerations... Nope, not me.

Those "morons" risk their lives everyday to try and save sentient beings who are on the road to extinction. If more people had the compassion and empathy they do, the world would be a better place.

yeah, saw that when it first aired a couple of months ago. The whole show is about this immature idiot who pushes the boundaries as far as he can...and then 'cries out loud' all over the media when people take the bait that he puts out there. It's not the way to handle the campaign that he is leading. Plus, he doesn't lead. He just kind of sits there and looks like a giant toad.

Anyway, after that rant (can u tell I didn't like this show?)....they eventually get the helicopter off the boat cuz it can't be used...they do make a better decision eventually.

In the series, they eventually fly the bird all over the place and that dent proves to be a non-issue. So knowing what you know now, do ya think that the dent in the blade was embellished with drama?

Later

yeah, saw that when it first aired a couple of months ago. The whole show is about this immature idiot who pushes the boundaries as far as he can...and then 'cries out loud' all over the media when people take the bait that he puts out there. It's not the way to handle the campaign that he is leading. Plus, he doesn't lead. He just kind of sits there and looks like a giant toad.

Anyway, after that rant (can u tell I didn't like this show?)....they eventually get the helicopter off the boat cuz it can't be used...they do make a better decision eventually.

This is the typical response of someone who can't walk his talk bashing someone who does. What do you do to change the world? How can you say it is not the way to handle the campaign? His campaign is to garner media exposure on atrocities. He does a pretty good job at doing just that with a much smaller budget then Greenpeace. He does more in a day then Greenpeace does in a year. In fact, Greenpeace doesn't even promote the one thing that would have a greatest impact on the environment.

And as for his leadership. These people who volunteer to save animals and risk their lives are not mindless grunts. Every single one of them has defied the norm because they are free thinkers. They are all anti-authority and wouldn't be caught taking orders from just anyone with a title. The mere fact that Captain Watson is able to accomplish so much with a ship full of leaders is a testament to what a great leader he actually is. Everyday he has to resecure their respect for his authority.

You put a bunch of free-thinkers in a room and try and give them an order. See how far you get.

Captain Watson's outright lie to the media regarding the illegal boarding of the Japanese whaler destroyed any bit of credibility he might have earned by fighting the good fight. I am all for saving the oceans and the whales, but his tactics are questionable at best. If you want to garner attention for your cause, lying about the facts to create a media frenzy is probably not the best tactic. On top of that, the unauthorized boarding of a vessel of a foreign nation in International waters is a risky proposition for the boarders...it could very reasonably be viewed as an act of piracy by the vessel being boarded.

Ryan

Captain Watson's outright lie to the media regarding the illegal boarding of the Japanese whaler destroyed any bit of credibility he might have earned by fighting the good fight. I am all for saving the oceans and the whales, but his tactics are questionable at best. If you want to garner attention for your cause, lying about the facts to create a media frenzy is probably not the best tactic. On top of that, the unauthorized boarding of a vessel of a foreign nation in International waters is a risky proposition for the boarders...it could very reasonably be viewed as an act of piracy by the vessel being boarded.

Ryan

He is fighting fire with fire. You don't get any media exposure by protesting. Direct action is the only thing that will turn results. Watson is a hero. 100 years from now, there may not be any whales left. But if there are, parents will tell their children of the courageous stories of the men and women of Sea Shepherd and their leader, Captain Watson.

He is fighting fire with fire. You don't get any media exposure by protesting. Direct action is the only thing that will turn results. Watson is a hero. 100 years from now, there may not be any whales left. But if there are, parents will tell their children of the courageous stories of the men and women of Sea Shepherd and their leader, Captain Watson.

HERO, no, he tactics mirror that of the Samalli pirates, I as the captain of a ship would order all crew to use any and all means necessary to repell boaders, that includes fire hoses, guns and any other weapons that can be manufactures from what is on board.

forcefully boarding a ship of people trying to make a living (whether you agree with it or not) have a right to take all measures necessary to defend themselves.

67November....I completely agree....In international waters, unwanted boarders=Pirates, and all bets are off when it comes to repelling boarders. Captain Watson will be remembered as a radical who operated without any regard to his fellow mariners, and the job they had to do. I believe that he places the safety of the whales above the safety his "crew." Did anybody see when they attempted to put the RIB in the water while cruising at a pretty good clip. There was no oversight of the operation, and a crew member failed to control a line as they put the RIB in the water and it overturned putting several people into the water....Maybe he should concentrate on being a safe mariner and Captain instead of screaming about how his crew were "captured" when in fact they boarded a ship of their own free will.... Captain Richard Phillips (Master-Maersk Alabama) will be remembered as a hero....one who placed the safety and well being of his vessel and crew above his own needs/agenda/concerns etc.

Hmmm, let's see. When the U.S military forcefully boards a ship, it is their right because we passed some laws giving us that right. But when someone else does it because of what they believe, they are a pirate?

Try thinking for yourself and stop letting the government do it for you.

Hmmm, let's see. When the U.S military forcefully boards a ship, it is their right because we passed some laws giving us that right. But when someone else does it because of what they believe, they are a pirate?

Try thinking for yourself and stop letting the government do it for you.

RMP

The U.S. Military along with any other military can board ships of interest because of international treaty. Watson ( and I will not call him Captain, because he does not deserve the title) is not a government body covered in the treaty. His actions smack of piracy. Piracy has been a loathsome crime since the beginning of time. His actions are no better than the Somali pirates. While his cause may be just, his actions are not. He was attaching seaman conducting their LEGAL commerce on the seas. There are better ways of accomplishing that.

From what I saw on the program, all he cares about is getting his face on TV and screaming about 'his' cause. I was not impressed.

I think it is worth noting that there is a long tradition of civil disobedience in this country. ie. breaking an unjust law in order to draw attention to the magnitude of the injustice.

What you have with this crew is an extension of that tradition into the murky waters of international law. Captain Watson and his crew are committing an act of Piracy and they know it but they are doing it in a way that illustrates and draws attention to the despicable practice of whaling.

rick there are questions about the legality of whaling as there are questions about all applications of all international law. Out of curiosity what better way would you suggest to achieve their aim?

RMP, I am just going to go out on a limb and say that you are probably one of those people who think Police Officers are just criminals with a badge and that you could do better on your own...the whole anti-government movement in this country makes me sick...I am both a veteran and a Police Officer and it drives me crazy that there are people like you who think the U.S. Government is trying to run their lives with microchips and big brother cameras. Given that... I applaud you for having your own opinions...and lest we not forget that the Government and the men and women of this country that support that government, fought so you can have your own opinions. My opinion happens to be that if you are not satisfied with our government, and the rules they impose on you, you also have the freedom to immigrate to another country and try out their government.

Answer me this, if you believe that one of the regs in the FAR's is unjust, Is it ok for you to violate it to champion your cause...NO...you will still get violated by the FAA....it is the same principle with Watson..just because he doesn't agree with the whaling, that does not give him the right to interfere with international commerce...and the Navy is operating under strict rules of engagement based on internationally agreed laws...not just because they have a cause to promote...

RMP, I am just going to go out on a limb and say that you are probably one of those people who think Police Officers are just criminals with a badge and that you could do better on your own...the whole anti-government movement in this country makes me sick...I am both a veteran and a Police Officer and it drives me crazy that there are people like you who think the U.S. Government is trying to run their lives with microchips and big brother cameras. Given that... I applaud you for having your own opinions...and lest we not forget that the Government and the men and women of this country that support that government, fought so you can have your own opinions. My opinion happens to be that if you are not satisfied with our government, and the rules they impose on you, you also have the freedom to immigrate to another country and try out their government.

rmiller.

I want to be clear that I'm not one of the people you mentioned and I applaud your service. That being said I think that you have miss represented the point of the country in your above post through oversimplification. let's separate people who protest the actions of our government from true anarchists that want to do away with all government. those that protest on both sides from tea parties to weed legalization and anti war demonstrations are a vital part of this union. If they make you sick perhaps you should ask yourself why you are living in this country where among the first and most explicit rights enumerated in the constitution are the freedoms of speech and and free assembly? but you already pointed out that the government and the people who support it, you among them, fought for those freedoms so they must be important to you. So why the us vs them mentality? We aren't a country of love it or leave it, are we? Aren't we a country dedicated to the ideas and principals pluralism, and individualism? If you look to the founders of this country you see a group of men with little in common with broad disagreements who came together "in order to form a more perfect union..."

Us vs them and love it or leave rhetoric cheapens that effort and every effort sense made on it's behalf.

back the the opp of course the tv crew cut the footage to accentuate drama. That is their job.

Edited by beckwith

Beckwith...What bothers me is that people scream about how the government is trying to control everything they do, but the only thing they do to change it is complain....

Government has its purpose.

Don't be mistaken. I am not a government robot who agrees with everything that Uncle Sam has to say....there are things that I would love to see the government do differently. The difference is I convey that desire in the way that I vote....That being said, I love the freedoms that are afforded by my government. I don't begrudge anybody from voicing his opinion, what I have a problem with is when one of those people tell me to "start thinking for myself and stop letting the government do it for me." Being a law abiding (and enforcing) citizen, and believing in doing things through the proper channels is NOT government brainwashing. RMP however would like you to believe that we are just the minions doing the devil government's work. Those are the people that irk me...that is who I am referring to when I say like it or leave it....not the people are protesting unfair taxes, or corporate kickbacks to politicians etc...