CFI - ...Basically Brand New

Well, after having passed my checkride in November (8 months ago) I haven't flown since. I haven't really read much since except occasionally online and in magazines. I'm getting my first-ever student in about a month from now. I fly R22s.

Obviously I'm going to have to have a flight with a CFI so I can become current once again, but other than that, does anyone recommend anything extremely pressing I should be reviewing? I'm more concerned with ground knowledge than flight knowledge. Obviously emergency procedures and FARS are a must.

Perhaps I'm just looking for some reassurance! Looking forward to your responses, Fly Smart.

Edited by TheLorax

I was in pretty much the same position as you in January, having only instructed part time during 2008 for about 20-30 hours. I had taken the year out to do the JAA ATPL exams. The flying comes back pretty quick(within 1 flight you are pretty much back to normal). A good plan for the ground side of things is to teach 1 of your buddies(preferably another CFI) for a few days or so to get you back up to CFI checkride standards.

Well, after having passed my checkride in November (8 months ago) I haven't flown since. I haven't really read much since except occasionally online and in magazines. I'm getting my first-ever student in about a month from now. I fly R22s.

Obviously I'm going to have to have a flight with a CFI so I can become current once again, but other than that, does anyone recommend anything extremely pressing I should be reviewing? I'm more concerned with ground knowledge than flight knowledge. Obviously emergency procedures and FARS are a must.

Perhaps I'm just looking for some reassurance! Looking forward to your responses, Fly Smart.

Lorax,

If you look at NTSB reports of helicopter training accidents, you will find that the most popular cause of these accidents is, "Failure of the instructor to intervene in a timely manner." Keep that in mind while you instruct in order to stay alive! As you gain experience instructing, you will naturally give your students more latitude. Good luck.

~Jeff

Lorax,

If you look at NTSB reports of helicopter training accidents, you will find that the most popular cause of these accidents is, "Failure of the instructor to intervene in a timely manner." Keep that in mind while you instruct in order to stay alive! As you gain experience instructing, you will naturally give your students more latitude. Good luck.

~Jeff

Couldn't agree more. Allow your students to fix their mistakes as much as possible but always stay within YOUR comfort zone. That zone will widen with experience, but at the start should be quite narrow. I always remember what one of my instructors told when I started instructing, "Your students are always trying to kill you!!"

I would probably suggest doing what I am currently doing myself....just reviewing your ground lesson plans/141 syllabus and reviewing aerodynamics/wx/regs/etc.

It's amazing how much I have forgotten due to "disuse" (obligatory usage of FOI's).