Schools in So Cal

South Coast = Helistream/KSNA

IE = Western Ops/L67

Central IE = USA Academy of Aviation/F70

N. County = Civic Helicopters/CRQ

I'll let others pipe up about South Bay, SFV, and points southward & westward...all have different strengths, but these 4, IMHO, provide excellent training across the spectrum - some more 'operationally inclined' than others.

-WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

Lots of great schools out there...... I personally recommend Civic Helicopters out of CRQ... send me a message and I can forward some information to you.

I have some opinions of schools from Long Beach to Camarillo and over into the SF Valley. Just throw me a PM.

From all these posts you should get a good feeling about 3 or 4 schools. That narrows the list, then you need to go check each one out on your own. Its a big investment, you need to fly where you fit in.

Good Luck,

Goldy

Los Angeles Helicopters at Long Beach treated me really well, had competitive pricing, and the level of instruction was top notch. As has been said above though.... Shop around and find a school that meets your needs. Don't just talk to one. Also consider location. You get a lot more practice dealing with ATC if you have to deal with them every time you take off rather than just on certain cross country flights. There are a lot of great schools around here... I'm sure you'll find one that suits you.

J-

You might want to consider training out of state, I live in SoCal and I call the weather and terrain "too perfect" its always sunny which is a plus or hours but when your a pilot anywhere else it wont always be sunny with nice weather, that and its mostly cities so there's not much mountain flying unless you go North. I recommend Hillsboro Aviation where I'm going, they have mixed weather, mountainous terrain AND the traffic pattens you would find in SoCal B)

You might want to consider training out of state, I live in SoCal and I call the weather and terrain "too perfect"

Do we live in the same So Cal ? I have special VFR departures, May/June are so hazy and foggy I couldnt even lift off last Sunday at VNY. Ceiling was down to 800 and I was flying to 3000. I have huge mountains, taller than 6500 feet to try and cross, wicked wind filled canyons like the Newhall Pass, airspace everywhere, and even traffic in every quadrant! I get Santa Ana winds gusting over 50 knots everywhere, and so many brush fire and Presidential TFR's you lose count.

But I admit, today was gorgeous, wish I was up there.

Goldy

I'm not saying there isn't any weather or terrain just not as much as I'd like there to be for my flight training I mean if you fly a straight line over the mountains North of LA your in Mojave in about ten minutes, I'd prefer a little more wilderness, but I guess it comes down to what you preference is.

if you fly a straight line over the mountains North of LA your in Mojave in about ten minutes,

Yes, and while I like the restaurant at Fox Field, I do NOT recommend their cactus and eggs for breakfast.

Also good for logging high DA (over 5K) landings when it gets warm in the summer..if you want some big mountains, tough terrain and turbulence, I might recommend Big Bear Airport !!

Goldy

I'm not saying there isn't any weather or terrain just not as much as I'd like there to be for my flight training I mean if you fly a straight line over the mountains North of LA your in Mojave in about ten minutes, I'd prefer a little more wilderness, but I guess it comes down to what you preference is.

I get more than enough weather in L.A. On top of that, it's a great place to practice dealing with complex airspace. It seems like we have a bit of everything within close reach.

J-

• 1 month later...

Hi I'm working with a well known established outfit in So Cal ,I have been Flying helis from 1985,my private was earned when I was 18, most instructors today are very very good but they just don't have the knowledge that comes with time heck the last BFR I did the chap didn't know that R22s used to be non governed equipped ,did he really know why SFAR 73 was issued???? Most R22 pilots are only told about low G ,throttle chops and rotor decay, I was trained in the day when your instructor tried to kill both of ya and thought he was doing his job good by diverting your attention to the fake flock of pigeons and snapped the throttle off,Low G in a R22 I've done it and if you didn't get the positive rate of roll you pushed over harder the next try... rpm decay they used to slowly roll the throttle off when you were getting a call from ATC...anyways I've worked out a deal putting a fresh overhauled R22 Beta in the flight line to compliment a already impressive fleet. So if your short on cash and want time building/training contact me and you wont be ridding along taking pictures of trees!!! Ill get you going,Ill be throwing out a few free demos and some great package deals. I would like to reach out to anyone who needs to finish their private or build time for their commercial I can help you. Ill be booking some hours for new students who need to finish private ratings at 50% off just to help them get motivated and back in the seat and finish their rating. In So Cal were going into the best weather for heli training the morning gloom is all but gone clear sunny sky's a little warm great for power management skills a must for new pilots flying piston ships. Thanks and happy hovering! ;)

These ships would happen to have Lima Echo somewhere in the registration would they.................

I've always thought that LE ships were pretty well rebuilt??

JetSet- where you flying out of? (yes I remember the days when we were taught low G rolls in R22 Alphas, we had no governor, and I never knew what that carb heat knob was for!....1986- Watson Helicopters at WHP)

Goldy

Edited by Goldy

Is there any place in So Cal that trains with Enstroms?

Not that I know of. The closest type would be the B47, and a couple schools train in that.

If you find an Enstrom close by let me know. I've always wanted to put some time in one.

There used to be an Enstrom Dealer out in San Dimas, I notice on their website that he is no longer listed...

Goldy