Helicopter Heaven

Goldy

OK, so I took some helo pilot friends that were in from out of town over to check out LAFD VNY Air Ops. As I am standing in their huge hangar surrounded by $35 Million Dollars in helicopters I realize..this is it. This is truly Helicopter Heaven !

The lens on my camera isnt even wide enough to capture what the eye can see.

Check it out, then try to count the birds !

Oh yeah, they just picked up a brand new 206B3 with a great glass cockpit, so I threwpost-2917-1242106056_thumb.jpg that photo in as well .....

Tell me what you see.

Fly safe !

Goldy

Two 412's, two 139's, a 206L and a 206B3 by my count. :) I didn't realize they had more than one 139 already. I always thought LAFD's paint scheme was one of the best looking out there.

Eggbeater- you are correct. They used to have the old Bell 47 back in the corner....but it disappeared, I'll have to ask about that one!

Yeah, good looking paint scheme on all the ships. They got the second 139 about 6 months ago or so....and I think that's it. I can only remember them ordering the 2 of them.

JD- yes, your (former) tax dollars at work there !...and I dont even dare show you the LAPD hangar next door filled with B2's !

Goldy

Goldy: Thanks for sharing, I was just reading about the 139s in Vertical 911. I'm headed to the west coast in a month or two and I would love to see those ships up close ;)

You can get a little closer look at LA's AW139 by checking out this video we made while at Heli Expo.

AW139 VIDEO LINK

Eggbeater- you are correct. They used to have the old Bell 47 back in the corner....but it disappeared, I'll have to ask about that one!

Yeah, good looking paint scheme on all the ships. They got the second 139 about 6 months ago or so....and I think that's it. I can only remember them ordering the 2 of them.

JD- yes, your (former) tax dollars at work there !...and I dont even dare show you the LAPD hangar next door filled with B2's !

Goldy

Goldy, I had the pleasure of landing at Hooper one day several years ago. We got a tour of the LAPD facility. Quite nice. You are lucky you get to hang out with the LAFD!

JD

ok, trivia question.

In the hangar photo, if you're observant, you will notice that one of those 6 ships is not currently flyable (is that a word?). So the question is, which one...and why ?

As far as pilots, their newest started flying Robbies in the 90's....so there's hope !

Marlon- we can go visit when you are in town over the summer.

Goldy

The 139 in the foreground(where you see only the nose section) has the top cowl panel slightly removed. You'll notice the wire strike is ahead of the windscreen. If you look at the other 139 in the background, that is not the right position. Compare the two 139s and that is what you see. The A119 has a panel just like that only on a much smaller scale.

JD

The 139 in the foreground(where you see only the nose section) has the top cowl panel slightly removed. You'll notice the wire strike is ahead of the windscreen. If you look at the other 139 in the background, that is not the right position. Compare the two 139s and that is what you see. The A119 has a panel just like that only on a much smaller scale.

JD

Jerry & JD- you guys are good !!!!

Exactly correct. The location of the top wire strike should give it away. They were checking one of the engines and so they slid the canopy forward. I figured it would be fun but trivial !!

Goldy

Edited by Goldy

Jerry & JD- you guys are good !!!!

Exactly correct. The location of the top wire strike should give it away. They were checking one of the engines and so they slid the canopy forward. I figured it would be fun but trivial !!

Goldy

So you're saying the overhang isn't a sunvisor? darn.

does anyone know how the lafd hires... specifically for their pilot positions... im currently a firefighter in AZ and was wondering maybe, just maybe...

apply as a firefighter...physical test, oral interview, etc.....you work for atleast 2 years as a firefighter...with that and i think 500 hrs [or maybe 600?] they'll take you as a pilot...but of course no guarantee. it can be fixed wing, helicopter, piston, turbin...just about anything to get those hours. it pretty much works like trying to get into law enforcement flying.