EKG (medical question)

I thought I saw a post once before about an abnormal EKG, but can't find it. So I'll ask it anyway. Has anyone had an abnormal EKG? And if so, are you able to still get your medical? My primary care doctor just told me I have an abnormal EKG and need to see a cardiologist for further testing. I'm otherwise healthy. And gosh, I'm only 37! Am I really that old and decrepid? Well, obviously if further testing shows a serious condition, I'll understand if I'm not allowed to fly. But I've heard that abnormal EKGs are not super rare, and not necessarily an indication of something really bad. Anyway, just wondering if someone else may have had this and is still flying. I have to wait until next week for my appointment. Thanks in advance.

It's going to depend on what the abnormality is. I had an "abnormal" EKG years ago, when I was in my late 20's. It showed a slight "murmur". The flight surgeon deferred my medical until a cardiologist took a look at the charts and said it was fine. Subsequent to that I had a cardiac stress test, and it showed no abnormality. As long as you don't have a significant condition, you should be good to go.

Thanks for the replies. What you've said is very encouraging. Hopefully I'll get good news from the cardiologist, too.

Tony- become an AOPA member and utilize their medical assistance program to help you navigate this...you don't want to screw it up and have it come back and bite you in the *ss.

Goldy

I help run a cardiac monitoring company on the civilian side (family business). Almost everyone is going to display some ectopy from time to time. "Abnormal" could mean that your doctor saw a PAC or PVC. In my experience, it's more abnormal NOT to throw a few every now and again. There are plenty of things that will pop up on an EKG that are completely benign. If you know what was on it, or can describe it, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my opinion.

J-

Just saw the cardiologist yesterday. He said that abnormal readings can be picked up if the medical assistant who is performing the test doesn't put those things (sorry, don't know the terminology) on your chest in exactly the right places. And for what it's worth, he mentioned that women with breast implants have a very difficult time getting a correct reading. In my case, I wouldn't be surprised if the assistant messed up, because I over-heard her out in the hallway before the test complaining that they were going to fall behind schedule by doing my EKG since I was only supposed to have a 15 minute appointment. Anyway, I was glad to get reassurance from the cardiologist that he's confident my heart is fine. I only hope I don't have to jump through extra hoops when it comes time to renew my medical since "abnormal EKG" is part of my medical records.

Just saw the cardiologist yesterday. He said that abnormal readings can be picked up if the medical assistant who is performing the test doesn't put those things (sorry, don't know the terminology) on your chest in exactly the right places. And for what it's worth, he mentioned that women with breast implants have a very difficult time getting a correct reading. In my case, I wouldn't be surprised if the assistant messed up, because I over-heard her out in the hallway before the test complaining that they were going to fall behind schedule by doing my EKG since I was only supposed to have a 15 minute appointment. Anyway, I was glad to get reassurance from the cardiologist that he's confident my heart is fine. I only hope I don't have to jump through extra hoops when it comes time to renew my medical since "abnormal EKG" is part of my medical records.

That can be an issue too. We have a lot of offices that we do analysis for who, for the life of them, can't seem to do a good hook-up. It makes the data VERY difficult to read and if there is a system doing an automated analysis it will register all kinds of messed up arrhythmias that aren't really there. I would say about 3/4ths of my day is spent sorting through that kind of garbage :angry: .

J-