Honest Assessment for Ex Military Pilot

EW64

I've enjoyed reading the questions and answers from members of this forum so I'm posting one to ask for an honest assessment of my marketability as a helicopter pilot.

I'm retired, 52, former Army AH64 IP, been out for almost 14 years, total HC 1,381, total simulator 288, PC/IP 773, FW 70, Commercial and Instrument rated.

Fortunately money isn't an issue so I'll literally fly for peanuts, anywhere in the world, perhaps if I can get back into it I can get closer to home just north of Port O'Connor, Texas some day.

All comments will be appreciated, to include where you suggest I start.

Also, can simulator hours factored into the flight time minimums posted by employers?

Cheers,

EW

Fortunately money isn't an issue so I'll literally fly for peanuts, anywhere in the world, perhaps if I can get back into it I can get closer to home just north of Port O'Connor, Texas some day.

Well unfortunately I am doing this to make a living, so pls do not do it. Just buy a rotorway or something and have fun...

yes you can do it, yes your simulator time can be counted... start by figuring the segment you want to start out in... ie.. training, eng, tours, gulf etc... you don't have ALOT of hours so you'll be squeeking in on the good 'ol military boy line. When you know your segment I would suggest going to the factory school to become aquainted with the type aircraft you'll be flying.. that will be short and easy (hey, you said money wasn't an issue) This will make you a quicker pick-up pilot by some company and get you current.

Go for it.

Well unfortunately I am doing this to make a living, so pls do not do it. Just buy a rotorway or something and have fun...

Strongly agree. Anytime you work for peanuts, you screw over us who need to make a living.

What is your PIC time? That will make a huge difference. Most companies want a certin number of PIC hours. I suspect in your post you mean PC to be Pilot in Comand time. If that is the case most companies want a minimum of 1,000 hours PIC. That is unless you instruct or find a different avenue.

Since you have been out for s while I would recommend going to a flight school and get your feet wet again. 14 years is a long time, would you be prepared to go on an interview flight right now for a company? Proably not. So it would be best to get some dual time, get current(flight review) and do some ground study.

Could you do it? Sure you could. You would more than likely start at the bottom of the pole though and have to work your way up. For example, instruct and do tours then maybe get an EMS job in Texas some day.

And yes, working for peanuts sets us all back by helping to keep wages low which are already to low for most of us. So, if you accept something, do so with a more typical salary please.

JD

instruct and do tours then maybe get an EMS job in Texas some day.

JD

Hmmm, instruct, do tours, fly EMS...now who does that sound like ????

Have you considered going home to Mother Rucker and becoming an IP there? (Either for the -67, or -64) I don't know what opportunities exist for the -64, but last I heard, flying the -67 was pretty easy to get in to.

Or even...bear with me on this one...come back to the Army, altogether? I know we're hard up on 64 pilots. You could get another ten years in.

I know we're hard up on 64 pilots.

Mind if I ask where you get this information? I only ask because I had considered the military route but I know for fact ( through second hand mind you ) that my instructor's nephew is sitting in limbo waiting to start flight school - or whatever it is called by the military - and he is not the only one as I've heard. In other words, from what I've heard, there is a surplus of 53a WOs right now.

Surplus is dependent upon the reference. Surplus compared to what the Army requires for manning? Not really. The manning level is determined by airframes, which has not gone up in recent years. Surplus compared to the available slots for training? Yes.

EW64 is 52, retired and 14 years out of the cockpit. Doing the math, that sounds like entered the military at 18 and retired at 20 years, plus 14 years since Army retirement. Which creates a whole set of problems for the Guard or returning to Active Duty (AD). However, if the retirement is based on other government service, and not military service, there would be fewer issues.

EW64, when I retire I'm going to do as one poster suggested and attend a civilian flight training program, to learn how the civilians fly, just like the military teaches how to fly for the military. If I'm as good a pilot as I think I am, it will only help to reinforce any good habits I've developed and identify the negative ones I need to eliminate.

Mind if I ask where you get this information? I only ask because I had considered the military route but I know for fact ( through second hand mind you ) that my instructor's nephew is sitting in limbo waiting to start flight school - or whatever it is called by the military - and he is not the only one as I've heard. In other words, from what I've heard, there is a surplus of 53a WOs right now.

Don't confuse the (in)efficiency of Fort Rucker with the number of qualified (and combat experienced) pilots in the Army. From what I understand, part of the problem causing all of the holds is a lack of Apache IPs available at Rucker. (For -64s, that is)

I don't know exactly where he got his information from, but one of our older pilots found out about a -64 pilot or two out in TX, I believe, who managed to get age waivers to continue flying through age 64. The best we've done (-60s) was 62. (He wants to be on our next deployment, but isn't going to make it :(...he was researching options.)

Basically, there's a surplus at Rucker. Not in the operational Army. If that were the case, there wouldn't be so many at Rucker :)

Edited by CharyouTree

Don't confuse the (in)efficiency of Fort Rucker with the number of qualified (and combat experienced) pilots in the Army. From what I understand, part of the problem causing all of the holds is a lack of Apache IPs available at Rucker. (For -64s, that is)

I don't know exactly where he got his information from, but one of our older pilots found out about a -64 pilot or two out in TX, I believe, who managed to get age waivers to continue flying through age 64. The best we've done (-60s) was 62. (He wants to be on our next deployment, but isn't going to make it :(...he was researching options.)

Basically, there's a surplus at Rucker. Not in the operational Army. If that were the case, there wouldn't be so many at Rucker :)

Oh I see, thank you.

HOLY CRAP! I haven't looked at this post yet.. but WOW. Port O' Connor Tx huh? I didn't know people actually are aware that it exists...where do you live, name, etc? I grew in P.O.C, graduated in Port Lavaca and I am currently in Denver flying. send me a PM if you want or an email. .