Mode S Transponder

I was wondering what information a mode S transponder provides to ATC. I believe it provides the controller with your tail number, but does it give them any additional information besides the stuff mode c give them?

A Mode S transponder has it's own discreet hex address which is broadcast along with the N number or call sign for the flight. It's also - as far as I know - wired to interface with TCAS.

Wired to interface with TCAS isn't "exactly" correct. The mode S transponder can detect and relay location information for other mode S transponders to whatever display system it is connected to (i.e. garmin 430). It cannot, by itself, detect non-mode S transponders. For that you need a TCAS with active radar, or a system that detects ALL transponder signals, like SkyWatch.

Wired to interface with TCAS isn't "exactly" correct. The mode S transponder can detect and relay location information for other mode S transponders to whatever display system it is connected to (i.e. garmin 430). It cannot, by itself, detect non-mode S transponders. For that you need a TCAS with active radar, or a system that detects ALL transponder signals, like SkyWatch.

Excellent points, thanks!