Being able to record ATC audio

Question to the VR Forum:

I have a mini DV cam, and would like to video tape while flying! BUT, I would like to record ATC too. Can I buy a router box that I plug my headset into, then plug the camera AV cable into while filming?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Rob

R91

or the better route: buy a small wired mic and put it inside your ear-cup. . DP made an in depth post about his set up, but his was drilled and mounted. I have students just set it inside the earcup, less destructive.

I was just talking to someone about this the other day who swore that he'd get back to me with the answer (slacker). He said that the last time they deployed some guys had rigged some kind of an adapter into the ICS and he thought he knew someone that knew how to do it. As soon as I find out, I'll post it. It will probably be more of a DIY project than a link to buy one though.

J-

I bought the mic at a local store - I don't see exactly the one I got on line, but it's just a basic condenser mic small enough to stuff into the ear cup, picture attached. The recorder I already had - one of the cheaper Olympus ones. To be clear that wasn't part of the $5. :-) mic.jpg

I bought the mic at a local store - I don't see exactly the one I got on line, but it's just a basic condenser mic small enough to stuff into the ear cup, picture attached. The recorder I already had - one of the cheaper Olympus ones. To be clear that wasn't part of the $5. :-) mic.jpg

I have an Olympus model VN-4100PC, paid $60 for it 2 years ago, 144 hours of recording time.

I bought the mic at a local store - I don't see exactly the one I got on line, but it's just a basic condenser mic small enough to stuff into the ear cup, picture attached. The recorder I already had - one of the cheaper Olympus ones. To be clear that wasn't part of the $5. :-) post-3229-1243476106_thumb.jpg

Thanks.

Jordan

I have used a cheap Radio Shack microphone connected to a digital recorder in the headset during UH-60 ops as well as in the R-22, and it works really well without modification to the headset, helmet or ICS. Plus it only cost about $5.

Wait... So the mic sat inside your helmet by your ear? If that's the case... Damn, I can barely tollerate CEPs!

J-

Just an outside chance - have you tried LiveATC.net? If by chance the ATC your talking to is on there, you should be able to record off of there. I know it might be a bit of a pain but you could have the computer record it two different ways = 1) When I play it in Realplayer it saves it to a file and you can rewind, 2) or you can use a sound recorder program that is on the computer. Granted this is stuff you would have to do before departing the airfield.

There are also cell phone connections that attach to the headset. I have wondered if maybe one of those would attach to a recording device?

Brandon