Airport Altitudes

clay

Hey guys, I have been doing some digging, trying to find the highest flight school in the U.S. not the highest airport. but the highest airport a helicopter school is BASED out of and does daily flights in and out of. so... whats the highest you know of?

so... whats the highest you know of?

Sorry, no clue. I probably win for the lowest. I think its 77 MSL !!!

Goldy

Edited by Goldy

reason I am asking is that I am wondering if the school I work at is one of the highest. . . . 5885' MSL............ I know the one on the other side of town is 5673' MSL,

oh yeah... Goldy, where I trained at in Danbury, TX (07TA) was 30' MSL. if you spilled a glass of water, it would flood.

Edited by clay

reason I am asking is that I am wondering if the school I work at is one of the highest. . . . 5885' MSL............ I know the one on the other side of town is 5673' MSL,

oh yeah... Goldy, where I trained at in Danbury, TX (07TA) was 30' MSL. if you spilled a glass of water, it would flood.

How about this one: http://www.helitahoe.com/index.html in Tahoe, 6264'. I used to see his Raven II parked up when we'd drop in on X-countrys. I don't know the guy that owns it but he used to instruct in Mazzei before I was there I think.

The lowest one I know of so far though is Pegasus Helicopters in Linden, NJ at a whopping 23'.

we are not discussing HAATS. flown up there, it is a school strictly designed for mountain flying and high altitude ops. I am more wondering about schools that do initial training-CFI work. aside from helitahoe, i think im still in the lead (5885)

Clay,

Are you SURE Danbury is that high? You scratch the ground with a stick you get salt water.

hmm. I was taking Captkirk's word that they where at steamboat and theirs that they do flight instruction. but I can't find a mention of steamboat on their sight or of them on the steamboat airport.

Leadville Co, has the highest airport in the country but unfortunately for them they only offer fixed wing instruction. Zephyr in steamboat springs is up there but don't know the altitude. don't drink to fast up the booze will hit ya hard. How low is Bristow in Titusville fl?

But to Clay's point, I dont think you can get any training at the springs...

Actually John Whitte DOES do training up in Steamboat. Primary thru turbine. He's also an AIG insurance check pilot.

So, sorry Clay. Plus, you're at the Heliplex now. That's in a hole about what...25' lower than APA? So anyone at APA would be technically higher.

• 4 weeks later...

Confirmation

Helitahoe provides training out of the South Lake Tahoe airport in a Raven II, at 6264' With Zephyr at 6882' that would make it the second highest helicopter training in the country.

Looks like they offer an Enstrom 280-C, wonder how that is at high DA's?

Roger.

Edited by Rotorookie

Confirmation

Helitahoe provides training out of the South Lake Tahoe airport in a Raven II, at 6264' With Zephyr at 6882' that would make it the second highest helicopter training in the country.

Looks like they offer an Enstrom 280-C, wonder how that is at high DA's?

Roger.

The Enstrom is an awesome High density altitude aircraft. That's why you primarily see so many in the mountain states.