First Solo!

Follow the link and you will see footage on my first solo flight. This morning I finally got to take the R22 Helicopter up alone. I was quite nervous, but completely confident as well.

My instructor didn't get my first take off (probably too busy keeping his fingers crossed). So, you will see my first landing and second take off. I edited it down to just those two clips, but if you want to see more, I also uploaded the full video.

My mother always said that if you keep making that face it will stick that way. Hopefully this one will.

Grinning from ear to ear...

Those first couple takeoff's and landings while solo in an R22 are completely nerve wracking. Without the extra 150 or so pounds that are normally in the left seat, I remember feeling like I was pushing the cyclic into the glass trying to compensate. Good times.

Great video, and congratulations on the first solo!

ohman

Looks like you did great...good control for your first solo. You've obviously been practicing !!

Good Luck in your training,

Goldy

Follow the link and you will see footage on my first solo flight. This morning I finally got to take the R22 Helicopter up alone. I was quite nervous, but completely confident as well.

My instructor didn't get my first take off (probably too busy keeping his fingers crossed). So, you will see my first landing and second take off. I edited it down to just those two clips, but if you want to see more, I also uploaded the full video.

My mother always said that if you keep making that face it will stick that way. Hopefully this one will.

Grinning from ear to ear...

Congratulations!! My grin has never left since that time. Enjoy the training ahead.

Cheers

Rotorrodent

Gratz! I remember my first solo. Scared to death. I remember how quiet the cockpit got (Even when I was floating around long beach airport). I remember looking over and not seeing my instructor but I could still hear him yelling at me in my head lol.

Thanks, folks. You all have been great for helping me out with my newbie questions, and just reading all the stuff that gets talked about on here.

Got to do my second solo this weekend. I think my first was actually better. There was a bit more wind this time, so it was a bit more twitchy. It is amazing how much difference 160lbs can make. Was giving it a bit too much forward cyclic this time, and kept wanting to scoot forward on take off. I think the stress of fighting the wind was making me a bit more stiff, so was over controlling a bit especially when having tailwind. However, I Feel pretty confident that when the zombies attack I will be able to safely get the heck out of dodge with one lucky friend of mine.

Still have a long ways to go. Just taking it one hours at a time.