Hillsboro Aviation

I'm going to start training at Hillsboro Aviation in about 3 months and I was wondering if there is anyone on here who could give me the layout of how the school works, how it is, how long till you fly ect

I'm going to start training at Hillsboro Aviation in about 3 months and I was wondering if there is anyone on here who could give me the layout of how the school works, how it is, how long till you fly ect

Dude, you should know this. Before you drop $65,000, you might want to do some research.

Hey Turbo,

welcome to the world of helicopters... and to one of the best places on the web for information about helicopters in general.

you are doing the best thing you can by collecting information before you leap! keep it up.

go to this topic and read it all.. especially the posts about large sums of money...

http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.c...showtopic=10871

good luck on your journey and keep us informed.

aloha,

dp

Okay, okay. I misunderstood that "I'm..." = "I am possibly considering thinking about maybe...". In my language, that contraction is definitive (eg, if I say "I'm going to go downstairs to get a beer.", expect that I will soon have a cold beverage in hand).

Tatooed went to Hillsboro for a while I think...PM her. Otherwise, drop in on the school and ask them those questions. Better yet, if you meant that you are starting training in 3 months and wanted to know what good schools were on the west coast, there are at least a half dozen you can check out. You will learn more by walking in, seeing their facility, and talking to their instructors and office staff.

Hillsboro isn't the only car on the lot. Go kick a bunch of tires and find out what you think will work for you. You may be surprised to find that it isn't Hillsboro. You can PM me and I'll make a couple of recommendations for you to check out.

I didn't train or work at Hillsboro, I was at Quantum. However, I know the only places we would hire outside CFI's from was either Bristow or Hillsboro. I've flown with a couple of Hillsboro pilots and I agree they seemed to know their stuff and were happy with their training.

That said, I don't think their instrument program was nearly as rigorous as ours was based on discussions I've had with some co-workers from there. I have heard really good things about some of the DPE's up there though, one in particular has a great deal of experience.

Other than that, you have weather to contend with. Phoenix has something like 300+ flying days a year, so I'm was a bit spoiled. ;)

Did my private add-on at Hillsboro (not quite finished - juggling schedules for final stage check and check ride). And I can't compare to other helicopter schools because my other training has been fixed wing.

The four HAI instructors I have flown with were all good (I had more total time than two of them and was surprised at how good they were). There is clearly a lot of oversight going on behind the scenes as little things would often pop up that somebody had come across while auditing my folder.

Lately scheduling has not been a problem, but during the winter before the student count dropped there was a period when they had too many helicopters in maintenance and not enough flying. They corrected their maintenance backlog about the same time that students started running out of money and lately it isn't a problem to get a helicopter or a local pattern.

I certainly had days this winter when I was grounded by weather. But I welcome the weather, personally. I'm new to the Portland area (a long story) and I've enjoyed flying in the area.

All in all I've been happy with HAI and would recommend them.

I didn't train or work at Hillsboro, I was at Quantum. However, I know the only places we would hire outside CFI's from was either Bristow or Hillsboro. I've flown with a couple of Hillsboro pilots and I agree they seemed to know their stuff and were happy with their training.

That said, I don't think their instrument program was nearly as rigorous as ours was based on discussions I've had with some co-workers from there. I have heard really good things about some of the DPE's up there though, one in particular has a great deal of experience.

Other than that, you have weather to contend with. Phoenix has something like 300+ flying days a year, so I'm was a bit spoiled. ;)

ya I flew at Quamtum! Ya nice weather Nice weather isant fun or a challenge. Neil is a great guy that is the only reason i liked the school. and HILLSBORO hhaahhaha ya good luck with your flight suit pulled tightly up your ASS! as u can see im not happy with them, I did some flying for them and 1 year has gone by and Still no $$$$!

There's a nice little school a little south of the metro Portland area in a little college town. A little south of the city of Corvallis, you'll find Corvallis Aero Service, a friendly, pay-as-you-go school that has reasonable rates and a lower cost of living. Did I mention the Willamette river? Many places to land on the river during the summer, and look for tubers on the hot days.

Just a taste of the small town with a nice flight school.