Vertical Challenge June 20

I went to this last year, and will be going again. I'm not sure about the parking, but the day is full of fun. Quite a few ships on display, and a handful of shows and whatnot.

A good time for sure, and well worth the $17!

Sorry that I don't have more info to offer :)

Hey Rick, funny thing as I was just going to post something on this show. I was up at CMA last weekend and ran into Chuck and asked him if he was flying the Red Bull B105 up for the show. Turns out he will be exhibiting, always fun to watch him flying upside down!!

As far as transient parking, if you check out their website I think they have links for aircraft flying in, and I'm sure you could get space at the other end of the airport. The show is right in front of the Hiller Air Museum on the tarmac. Lots of fun, lots of great helo's.

Not sure yet if I can get up there. Been thinking about flying the 44 up. If I go, we'll exchange cell numbers so we can hook up.

Anyone else going?

Goldy

Hey Rick, funny thing as I was just going to post something on this show. I was up at CMA last weekend and ran into Chuck and asked him if he was flying the Red Bull B105 up for the show. Turns out he will be exhibiting, always fun to watch him flying upside down!!

As far as transient parking, if you check out their website I think they have links for aircraft flying in, and I'm sure you could get space at the other end of the airport. The show is right in front of the Hiller Air Museum on the tarmac. Lots of fun, lots of great helo's.

Not sure yet if I can get up there. Been thinking about flying the 44 up. If I go, we'll exchange cell numbers so we can hook up.

Anyone else going?

Goldy

Umm... what is it exactly?

J-

Goldy,

Maybe you could use some extra ballast for the trip up or back from San Carlos. My wife would love to fly by helicopter. I will get to fly the Zlin with baggage. Where do you like to refuel on the trip from CMA to SQL? Ocenao has a nice restaruant, Mama's Meatballs, is near the field toward the beach. The name is scary but the food is good.

VC is always a good time. Unfortunately the timing is wrong for my frequent San Diego trips and I'll be back in Dallas that week.

Somebody be sure to take a camera with some decent glass!

What could be more appropriate than to fly a Hiller to the Hiller museum for the vertical challenge.

I guess they don't have any flyable Hillers going, so I might be the only one... :D

I guess they don't have any flyable Hillers going, so I might be the only one... :D

Couple years back they had 2 or 3 nice ones there. Including an older model that had a sort of "half" windshield..didnt pay attention to which model it was.....beautifully restored though.

Rick- we may talk, I was planning to go up early that morning and return before dark....well... at least get over the grapevine by twilight!! Havent really figured out who all is going yet..

Goldy

Couple years back they had 2 or 3 nice ones there. Including an older model that had a sort of "half" windshield..didnt pay attention to which model it was.....beautifully restored though.

Rick- we may talk, I was planning to go up early that morning and return before dark....well... at least get over the grapevine by twilight!! Havent really figured out who all is going yet..

Goldy

Half bubble would be an "A" model I believe, they have the cyclic coming in overhead off the swashplate...kinda goofy.

I'm sure they will have some show up unannounced, I guess they don't have any signed up yet...but mine may be in for an annual that weekend... <_<

Half bubble would be an "A" model I believe, they have the cyclic coming in overhead off the swashplate...kinda goofy.

I'm sure they will have some show up unannounced, I guess they don't have any signed up yet...but mine may be in for an annual that weekend... <_<

Hey!! thats the one ! I remember the cyclic now and I think it did come down thru the top...either way, it was a very clean....and very old ship !

Goldy and everyone else, I am planning on attending VC this year and am trying to drag along a friend or two as well. It would be a fun XC trip to fly down, but will probably end up driving I think.

It would be a fun XC trip to fly down, but will probably end up driving I think.

I'm planning the XC right now. Hoping on the weather Saturday. As always if the ceiling is reasonable and the wind under 15 knots, it will be a great flight. Actually, doesnt matter the conditions., it will still be a great flight!

Hopefully nothing gets in the way between now and Saturday. If you see a 44, N688SS on site.,..then you know I made it !

Unfortunately, we are size limited, so I figured I could only take 2 pilots, 20 pounds of bags, and then we have to refuel before 1/3 tanks...too damn much forward CG!!

Maybe I could throw a 20 pound weight on the tailboom?

Goldy

Wow I would love to go to this! Unfortunately, between the high cost of flight school (im nearing my PPL Checkride..hopefully next weekend) and the current state of our economy (resulting in the downsizing of the company I was working at), I cant even afford the gas from Temecula, CA to San Carlos haha. Wish I could convince my flight instructor to do a XC from F70!

Edited by joshroyse.com

I flew to San Carlos for the Vertical challenge. I flew my Zlin, arrival had a horizontal challenge of a nice 15 knot crosswind. The fairfield hotel directly next to the Hiller museum is very convenient and nice. I watched several arrivals from the hotel room.

I was expecting a fly in type environment where all involved were helicopter nuts. This was a public event with many kids. The friday beer party was very well atttended. Wind cancelled all flight demostrations except the kites.

Saturday had big crowds. Wind was calm in the morning and increased through the day. Police and fire department flight demonstartions were nice. The Chinook is a lumbering monster that can go remarkably fast. The formation kite team did a terrific choreographed show. The finale was the red bull sky divers and acrobatic helicopter flight.

The Hiller museum has very nice displays. I am especially fond of the tiny Hiller rotorcycle helicopter.

Oh nice. I'm jealous haha.

I flew in with a friend in his twin-engine plane. Got there just before they closed the airport for landings and enjoyed the 2 shows on Saturday. LOVED the Red Bull heli acrobatics, upside down loops - that was the first time I saw him fly.

There were quite a few helicopters with Propane jet burners that were attached to the end of the rotors...though I've seen these before I'm so curious as to how they actually fly.

Great to see the show as well. Lots of people.

The Chinook fast fly by was so incredible.

The Hiller Museum is a must see for sure too.

The picture attached is of one of the Propane helis - notice the simple setup. I seem to have missed the actual jet burner on the end of the forward blade with my phone though.

post-12827-1245730786_thumb.jpg

Awesome pics deerock, thanks for sharing!

JR