Instrument rating via fixed wing?

Hello folks, I've been a long-time lurker but I have to speak up with a question: I don't intend to start my helicopter training in earnest for two more years yet, as I need to finish my military career first. But during this waiting period, can I put that intervening time to good use? I already have my private pilot's license for fixed wing, so would it be useful for me to knock out my instrument rating via fixed wing before I begin helicopter training?

On the face of it, perhaps that would save overall cost from a full helicopter professional pilot program, which is what I intend to complete. But on the other hand, if I went that route would I later find out that my fixed wing instrument time "didn't count" toward my helicopter ratings, and I'd have to do it over in a helicopter anyway?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Cod

as I need to finish my military career first.

Fly as much as you can afford. Yes, I think having all your FW ratings would be great, but wont count against insurance or hiring requirements....it will get you a piece of paper quicker though.

If I was military, I would make sure every flying pilot was my best friend. I've heard of many times where some free stick time was made available while the CO was on the golf course.

Fly as much as you can afford. Yes, I think having all your FW ratings would be great, but wont count against insurance or hiring requirements....it will get you a piece of paper quicker though.

If I was military, I would make sure every flying pilot was my best friend. I've heard of many times where some free stick time was made available while the CO was on the golf course.

yep. Helicopter crew chief is the best enlisted job in the military.

That used to happen a lot. Not so much anymore. Aside from the fact that it would be almost impossible to get someone to let you do that (especially in an airframe that requires 2 pilots by regulations... not too sure about the 58 or something like that), but logging the time could probably get you in some real trouble. I doubt I would pass it up if it was offered though ;)

J-

Edited by Justin DBC

Hello folks, I've been a long-time lurker but I have to speak up with a question: I don't intend to start my helicopter training in earnest for two more years yet, as I need to finish my military career first. But during this waiting period, can I put that intervening time to good use? I already have my private pilot's license for fixed wing, so would it be useful for me to knock out my instrument rating via fixed wing before I begin helicopter training?

On the face of it, perhaps that would save overall cost from a full helicopter professional pilot program, which is what I intend to complete. But on the other hand, if I went that route would I later find out that my fixed wing instrument time "didn't count" toward my helicopter ratings, and I'd have to do it over in a helicopter anyway?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Cod

Cod,

Your FW time does count toward the flight time requirements of Pilot requirements. If you have an FW instrument rating, you do an instrument add-on rating for helicopter. The requirement is 15 hours of helicopter instrument time. Keep in mind that if you start out to do your helicopter commercial with a FW private, you will have to do a helicopter private add-on first.

Good luck and stay safe.