Setting radio Freq into your memory

Hey all,

First, i wanted to say that we visited Clay at Elite's hangar yesterday!! What a cool place, if you folks get a chance you should do the same. Right now there are two twinstars, one 407, one 206, one BO105, two R44's and a space shuttle mock up.. (really). Hope i didn't forget anything. It was very cool to see all of those helis in one spot. They work out of a building called the "Heliplex" at Centennial airport in Denver. (KAPA) The building is owned by a company called "AirCam" that operates the twinstars. The BO105 is in for turbine work and i have photographed it before while at it's home in Boulder: (go to page 3)

http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm243/R.../Other%20helos/

there are also some photos of other helos at the Heliplex. Sorry i didn't take any photos yesterday, i didn't have my camera.

Now to the important point. Clay showed us something that i had never seen before on our radio in the R44, hopefully he will post on exactly how to do this in detail. On the cyclic there is a button that switches thru ten memory settings. You can input the airports that you frequent and switch between them with just quick push of the button. UNREAL.. i can't believe no one ever showed me this before. The two instructors that i spoke with about it didn't know it either!!

Makes me wonder what else i don't know yet!!! :huh:

aloha,

dp

Switch is usually a centre off Flick one way you can switch active and standby, the other steps through the 10 saved frequency's.

It is in the radio instructions, as an option, 3 wires & a centre biased N\O switch.

On the KY 196 \197 momentarily connect pin 7 ground will transfer use standby freq in display, momentarily connect pin E to ground will increment to the next memory channel, if I remember correctly. ( but I am old so check if you fiddle yourselves )

If any one interested will try and scan instructions on how to set it up & use.

That was something I taught my students how to do early on. For one it's another tool there to help make things a little easier. It came in handy on their X-C flights. I am suprised several of your instructors didn't know about it.

Having said that, the only aircraft I have flown where I have had that option is the R-22/44 and EC130B4. I wish they all had that option but my primary radio now is the G430 and G530 GPS/Com which I don't think has the ability recall freq via a remote switch.

JD

Having said that, the only aircraft I have flown where I have had that option is the R-22/44 and EC130B4. I wish they all had that option but my primary radio now is the G430 and G530 GPS/Com which I don't think has the ability recall freq via a remote switch.

JD

The 430 and 530 can if you have it hooked up to the buttons on the cyclic. I use it every day, works great. You can store up to 14 channels

Edited by highaltrotor

The 430 and 530 can if you have it hooked up to the buttons on the cyclic. I use it every day, works great. You can store up to 14 channels

Now that is cool. If only I had some extra switches. It seems to be a a Robinson thing. The EC130 I flew had them but I think mostly cause it was left hand drive.

JD

I've got it on my 300cb and the jetty. Its the KY196. Thinking back most schweizers Ive come across have a two way flip switch on the cyclic nect to the china hat-forwad to cycle the memory, back to swap.

Reading the avionics manuals for your aircraft is a neccesity. It took me longer to figure out what all the buttons did than to fly the helicopter when I switched to turbines.

I've got it on my 300cb and the jetty. Its the KY196. Thinking back most schweizers Ive come across have a two way flip switch on the cyclic nect to the china hat-forwad to cycle the memory, back to swap.

Reading the avionics manuals for your aircraft is a neccesity. It took me longer to figure out what all the buttons did than to fly the helicopter when I switched to turbines.

It's been so long now I can't remember if the 300 I flew had it or not. I know the R-22/44 it's standard. The EC130 had it but that's the only turbine I've flown with that installed. Made life a lot easier. Our A119's don't have anything like that installed.

JD

It's funny how many people look at these buttons every time they fly and never wonder about what they are good for. The king radios have a few other neat features that few people seem to know about. For example, do you know how to activate the "display failure" mode?

I think that kind of stuff is just as important to know as anything else related to the operation of the machine, so whatever radio you have, read the instructions!

The King manual is available online, can't find a link right now but i can email it to you if you want it. 2.2mb .pdf file.

The other R44, 20130, and 58274 all live on the right side

...and they are not allowed to play with the other helicopters....

Must be nice to fly a helicopter with a good avionics package...

Blackhawk= F'ing awesome, but...

only 1 VOR

only 1 VHF

ADF and VOR are both analog tuned, with no presets

The VHF has...20? Presettable frequencies, but there's no way to tell what's actually stored in any one preset position. You just have to hope that if a radio has been replaced, someone updated the presets (beyond home station ATIS, Ground, and Tower).

The FM is good, assuming it's a SINCGARS, and not the old school. UHF, you can see what's stored in preset, but not everyone uses it...

Oh, and while I'm complaining, (generally speaking) the GPS isn't IFR certified.

I'm done :P