A brief explanation of my current situation and then some questions:

I started a packet 2 years ago (was 20 then), exceeded all the test score requirements, passed my phsycial (which I believe I have to take again anyways), and completed my packet. My recruiter was assigned to another area RIGHT as he was organizing my board meeting. I didn't hear from him for several months and about that same time I was offered a record contract and toured Europe for about a year (tried out for American Idol...crazy stuf). When I came back I decided to continue pursuing my passion as a helicopter pilot. I am about to take my PPL checkride. I am thinking about applying for WOFT again.

There are a few questions that I have. I am not sure if the security clearance ever went through. If it did, is it still good? If it didn't, do I have to do all the paperwork again or can I use all my prior paperwork that I have saved? And now the big deal: CREDIT! A global tour and flight training within a 2 year time span has effed up my finances. My management based out of Switzerland stole ALL of my money and left me to dry and I've been working my a$$ off to get back on track, but my credit is a wreck. I am not going to let personal financial difficulties keep me from being an Army Aviator, so if anyone out there has ideas or would like to help/mentor me in that area, I would genuinely be grateful. I am on my own and have had to learn through my own experience, so hearing your opinions would greatly help.

Thanks,

Josh Royse

Forgot to add, I have a 3/4 tattoo sleeve on my right arm that was not there before. They were perfectly ok with the one on my left arm before, but when is it 'too much ink'?

I'm not sure what point you got to with your security clearance. If it went all the way through, it should still be valid. If not, just redo it. Of course they look at your credit/finances, but from what I know, they look at it realisticly. I had a few hickups on my credit and didn't have any problem because everything is currently resolved and the 2 accounts that were sent to collections were paid in full. If you still have some outstanding debt, but you have a payment plan, specify that. They don't expect perfection, just that you have your finances in order. That's why they have the explanation blocks on the SF-86. Oh yeah... And don't re-fill out a paper version. I just learned the hard way that they went to a computerized version so I had to do the whole damn thing over again <_< .

As far as tattoos... Army policy really got lenient back in '06. It sounds like you're probably initial entry so they might put you through a process, but if you don't have anything sketchy, it's usually not a big deal. I think they did away with the % coverage regs, but don't quote me on it. I have full sleeves, chest, back, etc etc etc and I don't get any grief for it. Hell, you can even tattoo your hands and part of your neck now.

Someone else may be able to get a bit more detailed... but bottom line, if the credit thing is a one time deal that you're close to getting squared away, I wouldn't sweat it too much. The Army is really looking for pilots right now so this is a great time to put in your packet.

J-

Apply - let them say no. The credit is checked to see if you're responsible, but more importantly, it is considered in the clearance due to bribery purposes. For instance, I was an MP at a 'mission sensitive' site and one of our MP's, who was in extreme debt, made deals with undercover fed govt agents to sell base layout information among other info....needless to say he's now at Leavenworth. That's the type of situation they want to avoid. Just make sure that you're dwindling the debt instead of neglecting the accounts. I had a few negatives on my credit at one point from when I was 18 and in college, teamed with a substantial amount in undergrad/grad loans, car payment, etc and not only received my initial secret security clearance but just had mine renewed as well. I've never heard of anyone getting denied a secret clearance, however, I've heard of them taking extremely long to clear though.

Tattoos should not be an issue...if you have to redo your clearance, add them to the new app...if not, wait until you get it renewed to include them.

Awesome. I knew the Army was hurting for pilots. Seeing that I will already have my private helicopter license by the time I am putting my WOFT packet in again, I better be considered competitive! haha.

Ok, so keep everything digital. That makes it easier for me anyways. I really appreciate the post. I might actually call Sallie Mae and let them know I am joining the Army and see how we can come to a payment agreement based on that. Loan companies love to hear when we are joining...they pretty much know they will be getting paid then. lol.

Thanks again for the post...it gives me a LOT more confidence. I will ask my recruiter if my clearance went through. IF it did, however, that means it went through prior to my credit wreck. I don't want to be sitting around in Fort Rucker with nothing to do just because some guy trying to work his way up in the FBI did an extensive background check on me for my security clearance and found discrepancies on what I reported as my credit. (I dont know how that works, I was just assuming lol). So I guess the question is, should I re-apply for security clearance, or is that a recruiter/MEPS question?

edit: question answered. Thanks Fighter13.

Edited by joshroyse.com

Awesome. I knew the Army was hurting for pilots. Seeing that I will already have my private helicopter license by the time I am putting my WOFT packet in again, I better be considered competitive! haha.

Ok, so keep everything digital. That makes it easier for me anyways. I really appreciate the post. I might actually call Sallie Mae and let them know I am joining the Army and see how we can come to a payment agreement based on that. Loan companies love to hear when we are joining...they pretty much know they will be getting paid then. lol.

Thanks again for the post...it gives me a LOT more confidence. I will ask my recruiter if my clearance went through. IF it did, however, that means it went through prior to my credit wreck. I don't want to be sitting around in Fort Rucker with nothing to do just because some guy trying to work his way up in the FBI did an extensive background check on me for my security clearance and found discrepancies on what I reported as my credit. (I dont know how that works, I was just assuming lol). So I guess the question is, should I re-apply for security clearance, or is that a recruiter/MEPS question?

edit: question answered. Thanks Fighter13.

Are you trying go to go Warrant Officer? Active or national guard? The army (national guard in particular) is hurting for pilots, but there also is no shortage of qualified applicants. if the board does not have the 'warm and fuzzy' confidence in you as a candidate, they won't send you. They're primarily looking for candidates with pronounced leadership traits who will be flying with them for 20-30 years (I know of a few people who did not pass national guard board selection because they told the board that they wanted to go active duty after flight school). The private helicopter license will help a lot but they are also looking for undergraduate and graduate education. One of my good friends is heading to the board in august and is disadvantaged because he is 4 classes shy of his bachelors....

Also, do you have any previous army experience? it makes a difference if you are a commissioned officer, an NCO with WLC, an NCO without WLC or below as to what type of seats the unit will have available...

As for the clearance, definitely ask the recruiter to furnish a copy of your security clearance....if you did complete it, it will be valid for 10 years from initial inception. if not, he will not be able to find it...and knowing recuiters, won't be able to find your initial paperwork either....

Are you trying go to go Warrant Officer? Active or national guard? The army (national guard in particular) is hurting for pilots, but there also is no shortage of qualified applicants. if the board does not have the 'warm and fuzzy' confidence in you as a candidate, they won't send you. They're primarily looking for candidates with pronounced leadership traits who will be flying with them for 20-30 years (I know of a few people who did not pass national guard board selection because they told the board that they wanted to go active duty after flight school). The private helicopter license will help a lot but they are also looking for undergraduate and graduate education. One of my good friends is heading to the board in august and is disadvantaged because he is 4 classes shy of his bachelors....

Also, do you have any previous army experience? it makes a difference if you are a commissioned officer, an NCO with WLC, an NCO without WLC or below as to what type of seats the unit will have available...

As for the clearance, definitely ask the recruiter to furnish a copy of your security clearance....if you did complete it, it will be valid for 10 years from initial inception. if not, he will not be able to find it...and knowing recuiters, won't be able to find your initial paperwork either....

I am going for Warrant Officer. My initial plan had been to go for active, but I will go where the Army needs me most if it comes to that. I don't have a degree and I don't have prior military experience. I have listed my management positions and sports leadership roles as examples of my ability to lead: Fortunately my all-star baseball team placed second in state when I was the team captain, and my football team were district champions and state quarter finalists when I was the defensive captain as linebacker. Unfortunately, I don't know how much value they will hold in those 'leadership' positions. I was also a leader of a construction team as a missionary in Mexico. I graduated highschool with only a 3.19, so that worries me, but all of my test scores were always off the charts. I scored the highest on all Advanced Placement course exit exams in my highschool and I did decent on my AFAST with a 136 (prior to having any aviation knowledge). Don't remember my ASVAB score or the GT score, but I remember them being well over qualifications.

I was lucky to have a very dedicated recruiter that genuinely wanted to see me accepted. He was on his game...in fact I just contacted him and he is ready to pick up where we left off. I'll call him tomorrow and see what the status on my security clearance is.

My main hope is that they look at my test scores, which are all qualifying, and look at the fact that I am already a helicopter pilot. It only makes sense to me that the Army would send an applicant who already has experience in the category and class of aircraft that I will be training in. It saves them so much money. As far as a degree goes: A degree in ice cream making means nothing once you are in the cockpit of the aircraft IMO. I understand that a degree shows diligence and discipline to obtain it, but so does a private pilots license. I understand my 'disadvantages' so I have to understand that it's my job to show the board that I am still fully qualified. I am trainable, subordinate, competent, competitive, and dream of flying for my country. If you guys have any more advice or insight keep throwing it my way. It really is helping me design a competitive packet and I greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again fighter13!

I think you'll be fine - it can sometimes be tough going from 'street to seat', though your flight experience may help you out a lot. The top of the evaluation sheets for our national guard flight/warrant boards lists your scores for ASVAB, AFAST and APFT. Below that are sections regarding the actual board interview like presentation, communication/speech skills, leadership ability consideration, packet completion/education and finally, what you know about flying. I was fortunate to have a warrant officer strength manager lobbying on my behalf, recruiters can be a little harder to work with. As for high school, I don't think 3.14 is that bad, plus since you have to include a copy of your HS diploma, they may not even talk about high school experiences unless you do. Just get your security clearance, complete your packet and turn it in, see what they say - I guess either way you'll be in the air...

I appreciate it sir.

I will keep you updated. I saw your post about 400% strength in fort rucker...any news on that? That's a bit scary haha.

Are you flying for the national guard?

Josh

Nah...I'm currently an SGT/E5 flight engineer/crew chief in the national guard. I completed my packet...now just have boards coming up here in August...hoping to pick up a shortfall seat asap....wasn't sure if I would be able to if the classes were full. I figured that if they were, at the least I would be able to do all training up until specific airframe but was wondering what the wait would be after that...not that I mind...can't wait to get some downtime in at the gulf... ;)