Pilot found 100% at fault in filming crash.

I'm happy Bristol and the power company were exonerated, knid of sucks for the pilot though....

Recent news atricle....

A Polk County jury today awarded $7.2 million to the widow of a cameraman killed and $4.1 million to a co-producer of “The Final Season” movie who was injured in a June 2006 helicopter crash near Walford.

After two days of deliberations, six members of the seven-person jury found pilot Richard Green of Hudson 100 percent at fault for co-producer Tony Wilson’s injuries and 75 percent at fault for the death of Roland Schlotzhauer, 50, of Lenexa, Kan. The jury found “The Final Season” movie company at fault for the other 25 percent in the wrongful death lawsuit brought by Kathryn Schlotzhauer, whose husband died in the crash.

The jury did not assess any fault or cause of the accident to Bristol Aerospace, a Canadian company that manufactured a wire-strike protection system that was mounted on Green’s helicopter when it snagged overhead utility wires and crashed in a cornfield along Highway 151 during aerial filming for the movie.

Under Iowa law, since Green was found to be more than 50 percent at fault in the accident he cannot recover damages. His attorney had sought $2.8 million in actual losses and up to $14 million in punitive damages. The jury decided that pilot error was mostly to blame for the mishap June 30, 2006.

background ...

A pilot, a movie producer and a widow from a deadly 2006 helicopter crash all sought multimillion-dollar jury awards Thursday against a Canadian aerospace company they blame for the accident.

Eight Polk County jurors will start sorting through the case today, after Bristol Aerospace defends itself in closing arguments and the lawyers try to rebut the claims.

At issue is a June 2006 helicopter crash that occurred during production of "The Final Season," a film about the Norway High School baseball team's 1991 state championship win.

The helicopter, flown by a seasoned pilot, struck power lines as crew members filmed an aerial road scene near the eastern Iowa town of Walford.

The cameraman, Roland Schlotzhauer, was killed. The pilot and a producer, Tony Wilson, were severely injured. The crash victims later blamed the crash on a wire-cutting safety blade attached above the helicopter's windshield.

"This case is about an aircraft equipment manufacturer that failed to follow one simple rule: If it's not broke, don't fix it," Gary Robb, a lawyer for Schlotzhauer's widow, Kathryn, told jurors. "Now, it's time to talk about another simple rule in our system: You break it, you buy it."

Lawyers who investigated the case discovered internal documents showing that Bristol Aerospace had shortened the blade and removed certain parts to save money. A lawyer for Bristol has blamed pilot error.

Robb asked jurors to award the widow between $15 million and $20 million through her husband's estate. Bristol should pay 90 percent of the award, he said.

The complex, monthlong civil trial turned emotional as attorneys described the injuries their clients suffered in the eastern Iowa crash.

The helicopter pilot, Richard Green, lowered his head and cried as his lawyer tallied dozens of injuries and showed jurors family pictures prior to the accident.

The crash left Green with a shattered arm, a broken sternum, multiple rib fractures, back injuries, vision loss in his left eye, pelvic fractures and loss of his bowel and bladder control, among other ailments, his lawyer said.

"There were two causes of this failure," his lawyer, David Luginbill, said as he closed his case. "Reason number one was equipment failure, and reason number two a failure of teamwork."

Luginbill asked jurors to award Green nearly $2.8 million, plus personal and emotional costs ranging from $8.4 million to $14 million.

Wilson's lawyer, Kevin Driscoll, described the "unchanging pain" his client will endure the rest of his life. Wilson, the producer, has undergone years of painful surgeries to recover and no longer can control many of his bodily functions. His leg was shattered beyond recognition, Driscoll said, and his recovery at U of I Hospitals and Clinics has progressed slowly.

"He isn't going to get a vacation from it," Driscoll said. "He's not going to get a break from it. Aging will be hard for him."

Driscoll said Bristol Aerospace deserved 90 percent of the blame, and asked the jury to award his client $5.3 million for medical expenses, pain and suffering, and other legal damages.

A lawyer for the film itself, Roland Peddicord, disputed allegations that the accident was caused by disorganization among the film crew.

Green, the pilot, "still had the obligation to know what was going on," Peddicord said. "If he didn't know, he should have asked."

Polk County Judge Donna Paulsen scheduled the final closing arguments for this morning. Every lawyer will then have a chance to challenge each other's arguments before the jury receives the case.

Jurors must reach their decision unanimously within the first six hours of deliberations.

After six hours, according to court rules, a seven-juror majority can decide.

For those of you that dont know the plaintiffs lawyer was stating that by removing the serrations and changing the angle on the WSPS they rendered it ineffective. Whereas according to the tests, it was more effective with the new design....

I'm amazed that blaming the manufacturer was even considered a relivent idea... Wire-strike cutters are a great idea and not putting them on an aircraft that routinely flies low-level is irresponsible, but bottom line is that flying into wires is pilot error in almost every case regardless of how well the cutters work. That's like blaming injuries from a negligent settling with power accident on the crashworthiness of the seats!

J-

..."Wire-strike cutters are a great idea and not putting them on an aircraft that routinely flies low-level is irresponsible"...

Would be nice, but ever wonder why Robbies don't get'em installed?

..." but bottom line is that flying into wires is pilot error in almost every case regardless of how well the cutters work"...

With you on that.

Don't need strong muscles if you have a strong mind;I'm a big proponent of effectively training pilots and crews to common standards and then keeping them current - especially with wire strike and obstacle avoidance.

-WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

I dont think the robbbie has enough sructure to support one, nor enough momentum to cut the wire if it had. You gotta remember, you are talking about steel core aluminum wire anywhere from 3/8 inch to 3 inches in diamater. In the first place, the cutters only work on the small stuff, 3/8-to MAYBE 5/8 inch or so.

But the cutters work by using the helicopters momentum to cut the wire, so yes, they wont work in very low speed flight. I cant give you numbers, but I do know they work at 40 knots on 3/8 wire, and unless I'm mistaken, its curring ability only increases with speed.

..."I dont think the robbbie has enough sructure to support one, nor enough momentum to cut the wire if it had."

'zackly...kinda like autos, it's all about kinetic energy. Somebody (Austrailian if I'm not mistaken) has suggested that if a wire strike is unavoidable while flying a helo without the cutters - even a R-22 - roll the aircraft & use the M/R blades to cut through. Of course he did have the standard disclaimer, but he would post anyone's experience who made it out. And I aint got the berries to be the first to try this.

Still better, use the trained noggin so we don't have to get to these low level discussions.

-WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

There was an accident a few years back where a C-130 had its vertical stabilizer removed by a powerline... A R-22 Rotorblade hasn't got a chance. I've head of 212 rotor blades cutting 3/8 galvanized guy wire with only moderate damage to the rotor. But a 212 blade weighs 10X as much as a r-22 blade, so theres really no comparison. Sledom in wirestrike accidents do wires "break" and when they do, they are the small distribution lines, and they usually dont break at the point of contact, they break off at the pole, thus wrapping around the helicopters moving parts and pulling them to a screetching halt. I agree that the solution is in training, but the phrase, "watch out for wires" implies they can be seen, which is not always the case. but thats a whole dofferent issue.

Fly safe.

Dave.

P.S. there was another wirestrike today in marysville, CA. looks like everyone onboard survived this one.

I agree that the solution is in training, but the phrase, "watch out for wires" implies they can be seen, which is not always the case. but thats a whole dofferent issue.

You don't always need to see them to know where they will most likely be. Unless you need to, don't fly through valleys or under the peak of a ridge. I guarantee you that you won't find any wires that go up from the highest point in the area. I know that sometimes it can't be avoided, but too many people like to fly through a valley because it's fun and the view is amazing (which is true). You can get away with it 1000 times... But all it takes is the one wire you didn't see to say to yourself, "Why the f*** didn't I climb to a safe altitu... *BAM!*

J-

You don't always need to see them to know where they will most likely be. Unless you need to, don't fly through valleys or under the peak of a ridge. I guarantee you that you won't find any wires that go up from the highest point in the area. I know that sometimes it can't be avoided, but too many people like to fly through a valley because it's fun and the view is amazing (which is true). You can get away with it 1000 times... But all it takes is the one wire you didn't see to say to yourself, "Why the f*** didn't I climb to a safe altitu... *BAM!*

J-

Or, recon it before you fly it as you would a confined area.

...The helicopter, flown by a seasoned pilot....

But was he a seasoned film pilot? There is a difference. There is pretty extensive regulation for aerial film production:

Issue a Certificate of Waiver for Motion Picture and Television Filming

According to the accident report...

"...the operator of the helicopter had not received a waiver from the FAA for the operation. FAA order 8700.1, Chapter 52 requires that FAA Form 7711-1, Certificate of Waiver or Authorization, must be obtained for helicopter motion picture and television filming operations."

...did he even posses the required Motion Picture and Television Operations Manual? Did the production company know that he did not? Was the production company, as is often the case, trying to do it on the cheap by hiring the local pilot instead of someone with a Motion Picture Manual? If so, the family should have gone after them. Very sad for all. :(

see also: http://www.aerialcinematography.com/sfty.html

Or, recon it before you fly it as you would a confined area.

Another good option. Even when it's necessary to go into a risky area, there are only a few circumstances I can think of that would nix out a recon.

J-

..."I dont think the robbbie has enough sructure to support one, nor enough momentum to cut the wire if it had."

'zackly...kinda like autos, it's all about kinetic energy. Somebody (Austrailian if I'm not mistaken) has suggested that if a wire strike is unavoidable while flying a helo without the cutters - even a R-22 - roll the aircraft & use the M/R blades to cut through. Of course he did have the standard disclaimer, but he would post anyone's experience who made it out. And I aint got the berries to be the first to try this.

Still better, use the trained noggin so we don't have to get to these low level discussions.

-WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

Personally I think it would work. Did you guys see the video at the factory where they hack the tail boom off? Or the one where the military helicopter is doing an air refueling and hacking the fueling boom off with the main rotor. However there is one major flaw with this theory in the R22. If you slammed the cyclic forward to hack the wires you would probably end up with low G mast bumping. The better alternative as they say at the factory course is a ton of aft cyclic to balloon up and hopefully over the wires if you do happen to see them before it is to late.

Personally I think it would work. Did you guys see the video at the factory where they hack the tail boom off? Or the one where the military helicopter is doing an air refueling and hacking the fueling boom off with the main rotor. However there is one major flaw with this theory in the R22. If you slammed the cyclic forward to hack the wires you would probably end up with low G mast bumping. The better alternative as they say at the factory course is a ton of aft cyclic to balloon up and hopefully over the wires if you do happen to see them before it is to late.

the tailboom was nothing but sheetmetal.

And the helicopter that chops its own fueling boom off was a CH-53. A little bit more inertia than a Robinson.

Here is a secion of powerline next to my coffee mug. this stuff is almost 5lbs a foot.

It doesnt matter how much inertia the rotorblade has, if the blade is weaker than the wire, it will break insted of the wire.

wiremug.bmp

I think that the effective mass and energy of the blade is important with respect to cutting a power line.

I suspect that the rotor blade would have great difficultiy cutting a power line. Each blade is about 30 lbs, The tip speed is about 700 ft/second. The part of the blade that directly might contact the wire is about 3 inches, and weights 0.5 lbs. The nearby part of the blade that might add further energy might weigh 3 pounds. The energy of that part is 27,000 ft lbs.

The entire helicopter might be traveling at 50mph, 75 ft/second, and weighs 2000 lbs. The energy is 175,000 ft lbs.

The head of a sledge hammer might have energy of 8 ft lbs.

I have no idea how a powerline might absorb the energy of an impact. I would love to see a video of a helicopter line cutter in use. Do pilots volunteer to do that kind of test?

I think that the effective mass and energy of the blade is important with respect to cutting a power line.

I suspect that the rotor blade would have great difficultiy cutting a power line. Each blade is about 30 lbs, The tip speed is about 700 ft/second. The part of the blade that directly might contact the wire is about 3 inches, and weights 0.5 lbs. The nearby part of the blade that might add further energy might weigh 3 pounds. The energy of that part is 27,000 ft lbs.

The entire helicopter might be traveling at 50mph, 75 ft/second, and weighs 2000 lbs. The energy is 175,000 ft lbs.

The head of a sledge hammer might have energy of 8 ft lbs.

I have no idea how a powerline might absorb the energy of an impact. I would love to see a video of a helicopter line cutter in use. Do pilots volunteer to do that kind of test?

And 2156 ACSR (a commonly used overhead line) has a rated breaking strength of 60,300 pounds.

I'm sure your formula is correct, But I still feel something is wrong is missing from the equation. I personally viewd one of these wire that was impacted by a blackhawk with 5 marines on board where only three strands were broken.

Do line cutters actually work? What happens in a collision between a helicopter and a power line? There are so many grisly options.

Perhaps a light helicopter might fare better with some kind of device to catch on the line and prevent the helicopter from falling to the ground.

More times than not the helicopter ends up like this. This is the R-22 wirestrike from last month. The line it hit was only about 3/8 inch in diamater

yeah, that has happened where helicopters ended up suspended in the wire, rare but its happened. Problem is, it takes more than one wire to "catch" the helicopter and if your helicopter touches more than one energized wire it arcs phase to phase and its the same as being grounded. you are almost better of dieing in a crash.

Besides, the one I know of that stayed in the wires both pilots broke thir necks.

Dont underestimate the deadlyness of wires. The are the #1 killer of helicopter pilots. According to the NTSB 58% of wirestrikes are fatal, usually to everyone on board. And that seems low to me.

post-13733-1248203967_thumb.jpg

Before I was laid of at my last job I was working on a wire strike safety presentation for the FAA Safety Team, hopefully at some point I'll get back to it. In doing that research did get some great info from Bristol on thier WSPS.

To clear up a few misconceptions about wirestrikes.

1. They are not the number one killer of pilots. They have killed pilots, but they are far down the list of total people killed. Engine failure due to mechanical problems in the number one failure. I don't have the charts in front of me, but thats straight from the NTSB data.

2. They are fatal just over half of the time, so you've got a 50/50 chance of dying if your in one.

3. They are the most destructive type of accident for aircraft, meaning the aircraft is a total loss almost 100 percent of the time, but, they are not the most common type of accident, in fact its not the most likely type of destructive accident because they are uncommon compared to other tpyes. (engine failure, CFIT). They are number one proportionality, meaning if you have one its almost 100 percent your aircraft will be toast. I can did up the numbers, but its all from the NTSB and International Safety team data.

They are most common in day vfr with higher time pilots, can't remember what the threshold was for 'high' time.

In most cases where a pilot has survived to be interviewed, he's stated that he knew the lines were there.

The wire strike kit is great, but does not work every time. It has been proven to work at speeds as low as 15 knots. The video of its testing phases is very impressive and it has been retained by the US military on all ships because it works as designed (most of the time, but its not foolproof). I flew with one and was glad to have it, even though I didn't plan to fly into wires! The Army had a large list of aircraft that had confirmed wire strikes where the kit saved everyone on board and it was only through the early 90's.

General rules for wire safety (as said by Aaron but not invented by me)

Assume there are wires until you know otherwise.

There are wires across every canyon, until you verify with a high recon

If you flew the recon yesterday, the wires went up that morning

All freestanding poles (radio towers, power lines wooden powerlines) have guy wires coming off them until you know otherwise

Any powerline that changes direction has a guy wire coming off of it

Assume powerlines have a higher line at the tip top to the other powerline, above the visible main line.

Cross at the pole, higher than any other obstacle.

Fly safe everyone!

Good info but...

NTSB statisitcs complied this year by the NTSB for a client of mine said 58% fatal, very close to your 50/50 statistic.

Both NTSB, My reasearch for a client of mine, Robinson (as stated in the safety course), and UAS, who teaches the flying inthe wire enviroment couse cite Wirestrikes as the #1 cause fatal accidents in helicopters. Either your search included airplanes, or you did not querey the datapase correctly, I read every accident on the NTSB database from 1992-january of this year fir my study. the problem is invistigators will call them powere lines, wires, transmission lines, utility lines, poles, towers, high tension cables etc. So I found the only accurate way of doing it was to read every one. I also have a letter from a freind in the FAA that states "there is on average a wirestrike every 10 days in the us and a fatality due to a wirestrike on everage every 17 days".

And judging by preliminary reports, so far this year we have:

Fatal accidents

Wire Strike 3

Mechanical failure 3 (2 Experimental)

CFIT 2

Bird Strike? 1

Unknown 1

Fatalities

Bird Strike 8

Wire Strike 6

Mechanical failure 4 (2 Experimental)

CFIT 3