SFAR-73 Instructor question

I have a clarification question & cannot find a clear answer on interpretation. I took my CFI checkride in an R22 and received the instructor endorcement from the DPE specified in SFAR73. At the time I didn't have the required hours in an R44, but do now. So do I need a separate endorement for the R44 as an instructor or not. Most I've spoken to say my endorement I already posses to instruct in Robinson's is universal because as the last paragraph reads in the SFAR73, it don't separate R22 from R44 and that I only needed to meet the hour requirement.

Anyone know the real answer?

Thanks

The FAR doesn't differentiate the 22 from the 44, but as a student I got two different endorsements to train in each of them, they just did it as a safeguard I guess. Technically I don't think it is required, but if it isn't too difficult might as well get it...

Just recently did my SFAR-73 checkout in the R44 with the local DPE.

True, the SFAR technically makes no distinction between the two aircraft for teaching - however, flight reviews ARE specific to each aircraft. Also, since you need a minimum of hours in either aircraft in order to act as PIC (without a flight review every 12 calendar months), pretty sure that means you need an endorsement that makes the distinction between the two in order to teach. They also have different flight characteristics (i.e., max glide config., min. descent rate, cruise speed, flight control rigging, etc.). Let us know if you find out otherwise!

Heres one for ya: Does the SFAR 73 instructor endorsement count as a proficiency check to satisfy a flight review?

That one is very much open to interpretation. I've spoken to some DPEs & FSDOs that say no and others that say yes. It's all down to the area that you're flying in. I called my local FSDO(Allentown, PA) on that very question about 3 weeks ago, and the response I got was, "Yes, it does satisfy the Flight Review."

Certain FSDOs in certain areas do things in certain ways, so I like to operate by the old saying "When in Rome, do as the Romans do".

Ok guys here is the official word: R22 and R44 is a separate endorcement for instructor's. If you read the Sfar carefully, it still doesn't spell it out in plain language but does hint at it being separate. As a matter of fact, if you order the SFAR 73 training packet from Robinson, they even include an example of both endorcements for CFI sign off.

As far as the SFAR counting as a BFR, as long as you get the SFAR & the BFR endorcement signed in your log book, then the answer is YES.

Edited by coptermedic

So what does this mean for someone who is checkedout to instruct in the r22 and now wants to instruct in the r44? What will you have to demonstrate to the DPE to get the instructor endorsement from him?

Mainly just the SFAR stuff. Low RPM recovery, enhanced auto's, governor off, etc. Should be no big deal.

You'll definitely do some in some Hydraulic off stuff, and probably talk/discuss some about fuel injection as opposed to the carb'ed 22. I just did an hour flight and an hour ground with a guy from the local FSDO to get my 44 instructor endorsement. He also counted it as a BFR.

Edited by BlackHwk27