Susie helicopter checkride on Sunday

My household is now helicopter all of the time. My wife is stressing about her upcoming checkride on Sunday. She is so well prepared for the oral exam. I never study that thoroughly. I expect her to pass easily, she is not so confident.

She is browsing Trade-A-Plane for a helicopter. A bright red or blue R22 or R44 would win her heart. We would probably fly it about 100 hours the first year. The R22 is really fun when solo at sea level. It would be tight for a trip. The R44 is much more steady, and suitable for longer trips. An Enstrom is cool but hard to fit in our hangar. What helicopter should she get?

post-14194-1248198753_thumb.jpg

If you can afford a R-44 that would be the better way to go. Don't let the paint sceme limit you though. You should look more closely at remaining times and what not rather that the look.

If you need something cheaper I might look at a 300CB rather than a R-22. Operating cost is slightly higher than the R-22 but you will be more confortable on longer flights.

JD

Susie would like a helicopter that would be in some ways special. It must be in very good condition and have nice appearance. The helicopter must have an attractive paint scheme. I think that we could manage $300K.

Rick, there are a lot of very sweet, very low time R22's and 44's out there right now. PM me and I can send you some links and stuff on some very nice birds for sale.

Tell Susie good luck on her checkride, be sure and tell us how it goes. BTW- I'm thinking of taking the 44 up this Saturday over to the coast. Maybe hook up at CMA for a bite if you two are around?

Goldy

just go for quality. . . get Enstrom. I think the 280FX has only 9 life limited parts on it....

Even a 28f...little uglier...but a little cheaper...

Edited by adam32

Here is a photo of Susie trying an Enstrom on for size at vertical challenge. It looks pretty good to me. She is so excited about all helicopters right now. She got a ride in a Hughes 500 a few days ago, and was hovering for hours afterward.

post-14194-1248289102_thumb.jpg

Women always look good in a helicopter...has anyone else noticed that?

Heligirl- just come back to CMA for that CFI factory checkride and I'll fly them both down and say hi !

This time, though, you're buying the bad Chinese food !!

Goldy

Susie's instructor noticed that she was getting anxious about the checkride. He solved that anxious waiting problem by moving her checkride up to tomorrow, Friday.

Heligirl and Goldy come visit us at SZP. We are there or flying every weekend. Our hangar is at the far west end, the one with the big window. Helicopters are welcome at Santa Paula, do not use the runway, fuel island, or interfere with fixed wing traffic. Approach from the river below 500 ft msl. Land at the helipad. It is a bit sloped. Depart by turning toward the river and depart over the river.

I've always thought that was the best thing to happen to someone that is nervous.

You're dreading that day and the days get longer and longer the closer you get to it. I think the best thing to do is surprise the hell out of them by moving it up.

I wish you luck, Susie. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Next time, Goldy, I'll seek better foraging recommendations from the locals instead of following the crowd!! :D

Rick - glad Susie's checkride got bumped up!! That's the BEST way to solve the jitters...get it over with! I'll try to hook up with Goldy and the R44 next time I'm down in LA...I'll have to skyvector your strip but it would be great to meet up and oooh aaah over your new toy! :D Luck to Susie tomorrow!!

HG03 (emily)

It is a bit sloped.

Yeah, its a bit sloped alright! Not what I expected for a helipad...I just assumed it was flat first time I landed....hey wait, I'm hanging on one skid here...what the heck...the damn thing is sloped!! lol

PM responded to ..

Goldy

Susie passed her check ride. Dan Benton was the DPE. I am sure that she learned some stuff. Congratulations Susie.

Most excellent- Dan is highly regarded and definitely not the easiest DPE around. Something Susie should really be proud of.

Goldy