Still working on the dream

O.K. So I found myself a 141 school I think. I also found me a Community College in the area that offer a Degree in Aviation...

Now that bad news.. It's fixed wing only. But I have realized, after finally doing some math, that going FW and then RW will be better. Not to mention cheaper in the long run. And maybe a FW career will help to pay for that dream of mine of flying helicopters like so many of you on here have done or are doing.

So I guess now the big question is really should I do the Professional Pilot degree route even if I'm not planning on the Big Airlines? I know education doesn't hurt but the jobs that are out there nowadays are they requiring it? I'm thinking that it might give someone an edge over one who doesn't have one. It's been so long since I've been out of high school and a little less time from the Marine Corps that I've really gotten out of touch with these things. On here some say yah while others say nah. I figure two years with even a minor little degree could be a good thing esp. since I'm not a spring chicken anymore. And it might even help me to accomplish the Paramedicince degree I never finished.. :)

I know I'm rambling but I just got off a 24 hr shift and the kids are up so no sleep in the immediate future.... :(

Feel free to hand off some thoughts on the current wants, wishes, and desires from employers nowadays. All I read is dual ratings are better...

And thanks in advance for your input....

Helicopter operators want helicopter time. I am sure if two guys walk into an interview and they both have 1200 hours of helicopter time they would be considered equally. However if they both have 1200 hours of helicopter time and one has a dual rating I think the one with the dual rating would be more strongly considered because they have a more rounded knowledge of aviation. However at the price of aviation training I guess you just have to consider what it is worth to you. Personally if I had to choose between a degree and fixed wing dual ratings I think would choose the degree.

Helicopter operators want helicopter time. I am sure if two guys walk into an interview and they both have 1200 hours of helicopter time they would be considered equally. However if they both have 1200 hours of helicopter time and one has a dual rating I think the one with the dual rating would be more strongly considered because they have a more rounded knowledge of aviation. However at the price of aviation training I guess you just have to consider what it is worth to you. Personally if I had to choose between a degree and fixed wing dual ratings I think would choose the degree.

Well Slick that's what I was thinking too!! My heart is in RW ever since my demo flight what seems a lifetime ago now. The cost is the hard part. So while I'll be spending more for this degree I'll also get up to CFI ratings in FW. And it's the only one this part of the state. I never thought I'd do the FW stuff but money is money and we all know that is tight these days. I'd have a better chance of getting hired to fly FW right now too which, from things I'd read here, can open doors too. Networking like most jobs is key.

So I guess the degree part might be more worth my while in the long wrong despite waiting maybe a little longer to fly.... Hell I'm 38 now what's another 2 years give or take!?! :) Thanks again!

On the FW to RW being cheaper topic. Is that based on getting both done in the minimium amounts of time? Reason I ask is, what if one or both start taking longer than minimium times, it could turn an expensive thing into a really expensive thing, especially if you don't really plan on doing much with the FW portion of things after getting the RW done.

Just a thought, but any flying is better than no flying.

On the FW to RW being cheaper topic. Is that based on getting both done in the minimium amounts of time? Reason I ask is, what if one or both start taking longer than minimium times, it could turn an expensive thing into a really expensive thing, especially if you don't really plan on doing much with the FW portion of things after getting the RW done.

Just a thought, but any flying is better than no flying.

Nope that is based on minimums. The biggest thing is that a local community college does the program which means financial aid would be or could be available which means I could actually get to fly something in this life time. At this point doesn't matter if it's FW or RW. While I prefer RW I'll take what I can get. I miss those days of flying with my grandfather in his PiperCub. Those were the days! lol

Well folks after today's discussion with the gentleman from the local community college I have in fact started all the financial aid paperwork for my AAS in Professional Piloting. Yeah it's F/W but I gotta start somewhere! It will take me all the way to CFI at least so I might be able to do something at least.. Not the ultimate dream but it will get me in the air and with any luck maybe a little extra money to help pay off the schools and also if any is left over to pay for the R/W add-on's!! :)

Just wish I had thought of this a few years ago though when my GI Bill was still active. Sucks they put a 10 yr. limit on it! So maybe with any luck next summer I'll have my F/W stuff and get a little closer to all you on here.. :) I still have that dream of flying a helicopter and I just won't let it go... I was so hooked after my demo flight...