GI Bill

I'm a Marine currently serving in Iraq. I will be returning to the states around September and I will be getting out of the Marine Corps to become a civilian. I have wanted to do helicopter school for a long time but I am unsure of the financial situation that is involved. Does anyone know how the GI bill works for flight training? Also, what are the odds of getting loans these days? Any help would be great, thanks.

post-14465-1248419284_thumb.jpg

I'm a Marine currently serving in Iraq. I will be returning to the states around September and I will be getting out of the Marine Corps to become a civilian. I have wanted to do helicopter school for a long time but I am unsure of the financial situation that is involved. Does anyone know how the GI bill works for flight training? Also, what are the odds of getting loans these days? Any help would be great, thanks.

You have to go to a helo flight school that is approved for the training of vetrans I belive (141). The GI bill wont help pay anything towards you private rating but will help after you obtain it. Most guys get there private at around 80 hours a lot more than the minimum requirements. Its a hard gig to get into but after you get you foot in the door your alright. When you get back to the states come down to Ky well go fly man. Semper Fi Rick Rice 3rd lar scout 1998-2001

You can get all of the training cost approved, including private, if you go to a school that will except the post 9/11 GI Bill. If you use the regular GI Bill it will pay about $30,000 towards your training. I believe Northeast Helicopters is excepting both GI Bills right now. Sallie Mea is pretty much your only loan option. Its been tight but they have loosened up reciently.

Well, Jonny, I'm doing the same thing you are. I got out of the Marines last Sept. and am starting helicopter training this fall. The old GI Bill only reimburses 60% of your flight training and that's only after you get your private certificate.

The new Post 9/11 GI Bill doesn't cover flight training alone; however, if the training is part of a college degree, then it is covered. So far the only school that I know of that the VA has approved for covering the flight training fees is Central Oregon Community College, who is teamed up with Leading Edge Aviation in Bend, OR. Your tuition and fees, including flight training, are 100% covered plus you get the stipend for housing which is the equivalant to BAH for a Sgt w/ dependants for whatever zipcode your school is in.

Portland Community College and Hillsboro Aviation were working with the VA to get approved for the same thing the last I talked to them (in OR as well).

If being a helicopter pilot is what you want to do when you get out, then I would definintly apply for the new GI Bill as soon as you get out.

I'm not sure how the post 9/11 GI Bill is going to work or how far spread that's gonig to get for flight training any time soon. Going to Oregon is so far out of the question for me right now, so I guess that's out. The old GI bill is great, but I ended up running out of money after a personal loan fell through. Now I have my private and I'm trying to find a good way to keep going. The 60% reimbursment is great, but you have to have the money to put up first, and you still have to pay the 40%, which is no small chunk of change. If you go that route... you're definitely going to need to get a loan, so fix any issues you have with your credit and try to start sweet-talking a cosigner.

J-

I'm not sure how the post 9/11 GI Bill is going to work or how far spread that's gonig to get for flight training any time soon. Going to Oregon is so far out of the question for me right now, so I guess that's out. The old GI bill is great, but I ended up running out of money after a personal loan fell through. Now I have my private and I'm trying to find a good way to keep going. The 60% reimbursment is great, but you have to have the money to put up first, and you still have to pay the 40%, which is no small chunk of change. If you go that route... you're definitely going to need to get a loan, so fix any issues you have with your credit and try to start sweet-talking a cosigner.

J-

I'm sure there will be more schools popping up across the country that the VA will approve for the new bill. That one in OR is the only one I know of right now. I figured the free ride all the way through CFI is definitely worth the move for me. I'm in Pittsburgh now finishing up my airplane PPL.

Someone recently posted a reply on a thread in the flight training forum titled "Post 9/11 GI Bill" or something like that. He said you can call the VA for a list of schools that are approved for the new bill to cover flight training.

The way I see it, this new gi bill is just too good to pass up if you can just find a school that will work for you.

You can get all of the training cost approved, including private, if you go to a school that will except the post 9/11 GI Bill. If you use the regular GI Bill it will pay about $30,000 towards your training. I believe Northeast Helicopters is excepting both GI Bills right now. Sallie Mea is pretty much your only loan option. Its been tight but they have loosened up reciently.

Hey Crash, do you know if Precision Aviation in Newberg, OR is running the GI Bill in association w/ Portland Community College?

Hey Crash, do you know if Precision Aviation in Newberg, OR is running the GI Bill in association w/ Portland Community College?

I don't think so, but I'm not positive. I don't see anything on their site about it. I know PCC is affiliated with Hillsboro Aviation though. The last I talked to them was a few months ago and they were still working with the VA to get the new GI Bill to cover the flight fees. It sounded like they weren't going to be ready by this fall, but then again that was a few months ago.

GI Bill Comparison Chart

Here read it for yourself. Don't take here say. I know they were addressing flight training. I do believe the Voc Flt Training is out. But, institutions of higher learning "MAYBE" eligible. You will have to ask the finacial office at a school you would like to attend if the VA has approved their course, like someone else mentioned up the thread.

The VA had to approve part 141 schools too, nothing different about this. Just being a 141 didn't guarantee them to have a VA program.

Good luck keep us posted. I have been kickin the tires on going ANG or AFRES and work towards gettin my Mont GI Bill reinstated.

Later