Flight school instructor clothes what do you think?

1. Are you going to buy this helmet for them? Flight schools certainly aren't going to.

2. Have you ever tried to wear a helmet in the R-22?

I wear mine every flight in the R-22 and any other helicopter I fly. Sure I look a little different but I have a better chance of escape in a crash than the guy sitting next to me in shorts and a tshirt.

I think all flight schools should offer them to students. Yeah they can be a bit expensive but well worth the use. I know this hasn't been tested in the courts yet (I'm in DC so legal issues are always on my mind) but I wonder about the liability in a crash for the school if a helmet and protective clothing could have changed the outcome. I know they are expensive but I use the same rational for flying helicopters as I do riding motorcycles. On 90+ degree days I see people on bikes with shorts and tshirts and I am fully clothed in riding gear (plus it's all black so I get really hot in it) but if I go down (and I have) I know I will come out of it in better shape than the guy without the proper gear.

Well you would be way better off in a crash with helmet and nomex,on the other hand it can be distracting and very uncomfortable in the cockpit instructing so you are generating some risk, fatigue now comes into play and can be the precursor to a accident.

I'm really looking for what guys think should be the best choice of the 3?

Thanks

Of your three options, I would go with the Polo and chakis ALL the time.

My personal choice I think will be at the very least a flight suit if I can afford one when I'm at that point. From the perspective of a student looking for an instructor to trust, first impressions would point to the one that appears most professional.

Edited by Vert_ED

Well you would be way better off in a crash with helmet and nomex,on the other hand it can be distracting and very uncomfortable in the cockpit instructing so you are generating some risk, fatigue now comes into play and can be the precursor to a accident.

I'm really looking for what guys think should be the best choice of the 3?

Thanks

I don't agree (Especially in a small trainer like the R-22 with the fuel tanks above and behind the crew and in a crash guess where all that is going?). I and many others here flew (or fly) for hours on end wearing helmets, flight suits, gloves, boots and survival vests in small helicopters. I spent most of my Army career in a OH-58 sweating enough to fill a large swimming pool. At no point or time have I found them to be distracting (uncomfortable in the heat maybe) but it did not hinder my flying or attention to detail in any way. I think you develop more risk by not using than using this important survival gear. There have been numerous studies by the military proving the increased safety factor for the use of said gear.

Now having said all of this I know there has always been a lively debate about the use of said gear. I can't stress this enough though that the use of Helmets and fire protective gear will save a crews life. This is a important safety factor that need to be paramount in training. Even Robinson points out the necessity of it in the POH. By letting instructors fly without protective gear they develop a poor approach to safety in students who continue to use this as they go off to their careers. I would say 80% (a SWAG) of the market requires the use of at least a helmet. I know it’s a government contract requirement. Most police forces require their use and the same for EMS.

So other than the cost factor what else might be the reason to avoid the use of proper safety gear?

Not trying to bust your chops here. You certainly asked a reasonable question but I think you are asking the wrong one. I can't condone the use of any of the three original choices. I think Helmets and Nomex (or Amrid) wear is the only choice.

FYI, you can find brand new Nomex or Armind flight suits (CWU/27) on Ebay for $20 to $40 US. Roughly the same price as a custom embroidered polo shirt. Plus you can sell them at a higher price to your students and generate a little profit as well. A quick search on Ebay found 97 of them (not all new). http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=cwu+27&am...7&_osacat=0

Hello all what do you think is best for Heli instuctors to wear?Thanks alot for your input

A) Polo shirt w logo & pants.

B) Street clothes clean.

C)Uniform pant w leg stripe & white flight shirt.

It depends on your definition of “best”..

If I were king and owned a flight school, my instructors would have the ability to choose. Their choices would be; a company logoed shirt of their choosing (I’d have different types), jean type pants (blue jeans, Dickies, Dockers, etc). Or, they could wear a flightsuit. In any case, all must clean and pressed. And, I’d spring for the company logoed shirt but they’d have to pay out of their own pocket for the flightsuit. Helmets optional.

Realistically, it boils down to the “personality” or “culture” of the flight school and this is determined by the owner of course. If the culture is corporate-esk, you’ll likely see pilot shirts with epaulettes and Dockers. Conversely, if the culture is geared toward utility, then that’s what you’ll see, blue jeans and flannel shirts. From there, you can draw the line to everything in-between.

you can also get nomex pants and shirts instead of the complete suit for more comfort.

http://www.flightsuits.com/index.php?id=18...amp;prod_id=114

how is it possible that anything is more comfortable than a one piece flight suit?

Unless you're referring to heat comfort (where a two piece would let you air out prior to actual flight), the one piece can't be beat, imo.

how is it possible that anything is more comfortable than a one piece flight suit?

Unless you're referring to heat comfort (where a two piece would let you air out prior to actual flight), the one piece can't be beat, imo.

I liked my flightsuit, there are many people out there that are not comfortable in wearing a suit versus pants and shirt

Very well put, Permison. Comfort went out the window long ago wearing a flight vest over body armor over a flight suit with a pistol strapped to your leg and the temperature still over 100 degrees at 2AM all the while keeping alert while flying 8 hr sorties along the Euphrates. Its just something you get used to.

1. Are you going to buy this helmet for them? Flight schools certainly aren't going to.

2. Have you ever tried to wear a helmet in the R-22?

I'm 6' 2" and I always wear my HGU-56 in the 22, no problems getting in or out. The first time you knock your head on the frame, you will wish you had one on.

I think we should all fly in shorts, flip flops, and tank tops.

My old CP used to wear just that. I am not advocating it, but when it was 105 outside, doors off in an old R22A, it sure felt good.

I prefer rather loud Hawaiian shirts. They help me avoid mid airs as you can now see me from 2 miles out...even before conflicting traffic can spot the bird they can see the shirt. ( uhhh, LA Tower I am still looking for the R44, but I have a large flash of bright orange coming at me at 2000AGL)

I am not positive, but I think ATC radar and TCAS picks me up better as well.

If you don't believe me, well, you've never seen my shirts.

Goldy

My old CP used to wear just that. I am not advocating it, but when it was 105 outside, doors off in an old R22A, it sure felt good.

I prefer rather loud Hawaiian shirts. They help me avoid mid airs as you can now see me from 2 miles out...even before conflicting traffic can spot the bird they can see the shirt. ( uhhh, LA Tower I am still looking for the R44, but I have a large flash of bright orange coming at me at 2000AGL)

I am not positive, but I think ATC radar and TCAS picks me up better as well.

If you don't believe me, well, you've never seen my shirts.

Goldy

Heh, I have a few of those. They are the ultimate safety gear. They repel everything. You'll never crash because the ground would keep away from for fear of being associated with you. Fire would run the other way because your shirt was too hot, and Women.....well they just have no taste in clothing. Long live the Hawiian shirts!

Heh, I have a few of those. They are the ultimate safety gear. They repel everything. You'll never crash because the ground would keep away from for fear of being associated with you. Fire would run the other way because your shirt was too hot, and Women.....well they just have no taste in clothing. Long live the Hawiian shirts!

Now you guys are on to something!! I am somewhat partial to Hawaiian Shirts as well...

but, i have to throw water on the slippers idea (very important, don't ever call them flip flops in Hawaii). I have had one car accident in my driving career, very minor and i met a really nice looking lady (no i didn't do it on purpose!), but it was caused by my slipper getting caught on the brake pedal.. those things get hung up on everything!!

dp

Now you guys are on to something!! I am somewhat partial to Hawaiian Shirts as well...

but, i have to throw water on the slippers idea (very important, don't ever call them flip flops in Hawaii). I have had one car accident in my driving career, very minor and i met a really nice looking lady (no i didn't do it on purpose!), but it was caused by my slipper getting caught on the brake pedal.. those things get hung up on everything!!

dp

Funny you mention that. I rent a room from two friends of mine when I am traveling to one of my contracts. They are two nurses at the local hospital (begin threes company theme song). Anyway, they went out partying one night and come back and smashed into my jeep doing a few 1000 dollars worth of damage to the front right side. Still not sure how they did that as my jeep was parked in the drive way front of the car to the garage. Apparently Tweedle dumb was wearing "sandals" while driving tweedle dee's car which is a manual transmission. Her sandal slipped off and she lost control of the car. Moral of the story Kids, don't drive without proper fitting shoes.

Poor Jettset99, your thread has really digressed at this point. I wonder if they make a Nomex flight suit with Hawiian print? :lol:

I'll agree it depends on the culture of the school. Personally, I think that you should be wearing at least slacks (dockers) and a company provided polo. We were allowed to wear dockers shorts also, but besides looking like an idiot (I'm sorry, not many can pull off this style) I found them to be hotter in the AZ sun. Sitting under the bubble, more sunlight made it to my legs instead of my pants.

I also think that flight suits are a good idea. I know that's the standard uniform at the Bell Training Academy. Its functional and tends to promote safety. Sadly, they seem to promote egos too.

As for helmets, I think that should be a personal choice, same as for motorcycles (in AZ at least.) I'm not really a fan of regulation telling me what I can or can't do when it doesn't pertain to others, but also there are times when you just can't wear a helmet. I tried mine on in the R22 and felt restricted. In the 206 I don't like to fly without (who put the door frame so close anyway!) Problem is, I don't fit inside a bubble window on a 206 with a helmet on, so I'm forced to use a headset if I'm long lining with the door on. And below 30ºF, I'll have the door on thanks.

Oh, and last, I always wear flip flops when I drive. I just have the common sense to slip them off as I sit down so they are out of the way. Been driving a stick, barefoot, for over 10 years. The only time there is a problem is with metal pedals when its 150ºF in the car!!

Z

Oh, and last, I always wear flip flops when I drive. I just have the common sense to slip them off as I sit down so they are out of the way. Been driving a stick, barefoot, for over 10 years. The only time there is a problem is with metal pedals when its 150ºF in the car!!

Z

Yes, but you have one important thing going for you. a "Y" chromosome. :lol: