Letters of Rec.

Currently trying to get into the WOFT program and until Monday was trying to get into the USCG until they told me that there is no more Blue 21. :angry: Either way I was trying to get some letters of recommendation together for the WOFT and USCG OCS packets and curious as to what kinds of people to ask and what has worked for others in the past. I got a l lot of ideas from the USCG recruiters as to the content but I'm more interested in the choice of people that appear at the top of the letters. I'm having an old manager that was a Vietnam era marine core fighter pilot write one, my private pilot ground instructor write another, and the third I'm not sure on. Somebody that can vouch for community involvement? Somebody that has an important title? The recruiters at the USCG also said writing your own letters and having the person sign them has gotten people picked up for OCS in the past. I know the letters weigh pretty heavily for any selection board and want to choose carefully. What kinds of titles get you in?

If you could get a letter from a senior Warrant Officer in aviation, that would be your best bet. I just think that if you want to be a Warrant Officer, it would look good if a senior Warrant Officer recommended you. If you can't get that, definitely make sure it's someone who knows you well and can give a good letter and not a generic letter that they just add your name in. Just my opinion. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

Blake

No. But some background on me. I'm 30 years old, have a BA degree, have 100 hours of R22 and Schweizer flight time, 10 hours PIC. No private, thanks to many factors, mainly Silver State Helicopters related. I need 2 more solo XC flights and probably a lot of catch up from not flying for so long to go for my private at this point.......when I have the money to do that. Now that I'm out of a job and not flying anymore I'm looking for a way to do both. Coast Guard just cancelled blue 21 so Army looks like my best bet. Not like I had a realistic chance in the Coast Guard for a pilot slot anyway. I had the pleasure of visiting the USCG air base at SFO and while it was cool sitting in the cockpit of the Dolphin that's probably the closest I'll ever get to flying it. The experience the pilots at that location had before even joining the Coast Guard was pretty extensive. A Navy H-3 pilot with over 1000 of PIC time, An Army Apache pilot with over 1000 hours of PIC time etc....It put things into perspective.

Edited by rottenrobbie

Ok, you'll have to double check with the recruiter, but i am not sure you will need the LOR's from the AV officers when you aren't in... and applying through the street to seat program. I'm not 100% on that. You will need LOR's, but just supervisors/friends may work. Again, the recruiter would know for sure. Next best thing would be go to the local guard unit and/or active duty post and stop a warrant and ask.