Parking Overnight on LAX West Helipad

Hey Everyone -

I am making a trip to Florida to look at another helicopter on Friday and I wanted to fly out of LAX so I could get a non-stop flight to Florida. I was planning on flying my R44 up and parking on the West helipad but for the life of me I cannot find anyone at LAX that can tell me if its ok to park overnight.

I am leaving on Friday returning on Saturday. I called their operations department and I might as well have been asking a 10 year old how to reassemble a C20B blindfolded. I got absolutely nowhere. The people I spoke to didn't even know there was a west helipad.

If anyone knows the answer or can direct me to someone who has the answer I would be appreciative.

Jeff should be able to tell you. If you get a hold of him, ask him for the LOA. I had a copy of the LOA or it was just a document on the Helipad rules and stuff but either way it had that info in there.

I am sure you can. Also the door to the garage is locked so you'll need the code from security.

JD

Did you try any of these?

Manager: JEFF FITCH

ONE WORLD WAY

LOS ANGELES, CA 90009

Phone 310-646-0157

JEFF FITCH (310) 646-6450. LAX AIRPORT OPERATIONS - RAYMOND JACK (310) 417-0470.

Thanks...two of those were disconnected but I did get through on one of them...

Jeff should be able to tell you. If you get a hold of him, ask him for the LOA. I had a copy of the LOA or it was just a document on the Helipad rules and stuff but either way it had that info in there.

I am sure you can. Also the door to the garage is locked so you'll need the code from security.

JD

I got a hold of Dave and he told me in no uncertain terms that they allow no overnight parking on that pad.

Oh well, looks like Atlantic will be watching over my bird for the night....

Thanks Everyone...

I got a hold of Dave and he told me in no uncertain terms that they allow no overnight parking on that pad.

Oh well, looks like Atlantic will be watching over my bird for the night....

Thanks Everyone...

Hey Richard- I'll be glad to keep it in my driveway for ya! Good Luck on that new ship.....so whats it gonna be ?

Goldy

Hey Richard- I'll be glad to keep it in my driveway for ya! Good Luck on that new ship.....so whats it gonna be ?

Goldy

Hey Goldy -

If my inspection turns out ok, it looks like I will be the proud owner of a MD500E.

I am very excited. It will mark a good transition phase for me!!

Hey Goldy -

If my inspection turns out ok, it looks like I will be the proud owner of a MD500E.

I am very excited. It will mark a good transition phase for me!!

I'm speechless! Oh yeah, I'm jealous too !!!

Good Luck

Goldy

HeloJunkie Are you looking at N52550 ? if so I have some info on that ship..

Hey Jettset99 -

That is one of three I am looking at right now so I would be very interested in any information that you have!

Many Thanks !!

I'm speechless! Oh yeah, I'm jealous too !!!

Good Luck

Goldy

Thanks Goldy -

I am looking closly at three ships right now so hpoefully one of them pans out !! I will let you know!

HeloJunkie here you go seem these guys are heli curbers not a bad ship but their are way better. I don't buy any aircraft from someone who flips them they are in it to make money and don't have purchasers interest at heart only their bottom line .Ive been watching the 500E market for a year solid.

Notice of State Surplus Property Sale #14-08/09DOA

The State of Indiana, acting by and through the Department of Administration, for and on the behalf of the following state agency(s), will accept sealed bids on the following:

DOA/Fleet Services

Lot 1 1986 MD-500E Helicopter, serial #0166E, tail #N52550

Aircraft located in Indianapolis, Indiana;

Dual Nav/Com (Garmin/Apollo), Dual Garmin/King Nav System. High Gear, Aux tank.

Engine Comp/Turbine 28 TSO, M/R Blades, 228 TSN, T/R Blades 1583.4 TSN.

Annual due July 09. Transporter included. Records available on-site.

Minimum bid: $603,000.00

Lot 2 1977 Cessna 172/180 Conversion, serial #17268122, tail #94SP

Aircraft located in Indianapolis, Indiana;

9168.7 TT, 2372.9 Engine SMOH, 2372.9 TSO Prop, Fresh Annual.

IFR, Dual Nav/Com (ILS/VOR & VOR Narco), ADF, Transponder, TCAD.

180 Conversion, Vortex Generators. Records available on-site.

Minimum bid: $29,500.00

Both aircraft and records can be viewed on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 from 8:00AM until 4:00PM. They are located at 6700 Pierson Drive, Indianapolis, Indiana. Aircraft and records review can be accommodated at other dates and times by contacting Rick Barnett. See below for contact information.

Both aircraft will need to be removed from the location within fourteen days from the date of the successful bidders’ award letters.

Both aircraft are being sold “as is”.

For further information contact Rick Barnett at 317-234-3703 or rbarnett@idoa.in.gov.

Bidders must submit a payment for 10% of their bid for each aircraft. Bidders must submit a separate payment for each aircraft in the form of a cashier’s check(s), certified check(s) or money order(s) made payable to the State of Indiana.

The successful bidders must pay their 90% balance due within seven days of the date of their award letters. The aircraft cannot be removed until balance is paid.

Bids must be submitted on a State Surplus Bid Form, along with a non-collusion statement (included on the bid form) and mailed in an envelope to State Surplus, 601 W. McCarty Street, Suite 100, Indianapolis, IN 46225. You must clearly print the sale number and bid due date on the outside of the envelope as bids are not able to be opened until after the bid due date and time. Contact State Surplus at 317-234-3685 for a bid packet or you can go to www.in.gov/idoa/2286.htm and print off a bid sheet. Award decisions will not be made on the bid opening date. The State of Indiana has ten (10) working days after the bid opening date to make those decisions. Once the award decisions have been made the results will be publicly posted in the lobby at 601 W. McCarty Street, Indianapolis. All bidders will be notified by mail.

Sealed bids must be received before 2:00PM on Thursday, March 5, 2009 at 601 W. McCarty Street, Suite 100, Indianapolis. Any bids received after the designated time for any reason will be returned to the bidder. Once a bid has been opened and read, it cannot be withdrawn.

The State of Indiana, by this invitation, does not hold itself out as a merchant in the ordinary course of selling such property, and expressly disclaims any warranties, expressed or implied, as to its merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. Any and all such property shall be sold on an "as is" basis, with award to the best and highest bidder.

The State of Indiana reserves the right to reject any and

Edited by JETTSET99

HeloJunkie here you go seem these guys are heli curbers not a bad ship but their are way better. I don't buy any aircraft from someone who flips them they are in it to make money and don't have purchasers interest at heart only their bottom line .Ive been watching the 500E market for a year solid.

Jettset99 -

Many thanks for the information and your willingness to share your findings. I was aware of the auction as that is where I first heard of this particular ship. I was scheduled to go to the auction, but family matters kept me from attending.

I too have been scouring the MD market for some time - Or in actual fact, the folks at Civic Helicopters in Carlsbad have been looking for me. I bid on several 500s at auction and didn't get either of them because I felt the cost was too high for what I was getting.

I take no ones word for anything when it comes to purchasing an aircraft. The records and logs tell a story, but the ship tells all if you know what to look for during the inspection. Chin Tu (of Civic Helicopters) is arguably one of the top MD guys in the business with 17 years of test flight experience with MD and he is the one that does all of my inspections and test flights. So far we have eliminated all ships we have looked at but two. I am very confident that any problems this ship may have, he will find before I buy it.

As to Jim and his crew making a profit, I am not opposed to that. I have been in business for almost 18 years and I love to make a profit. Moreover, my 90 employees love it even more when I make a profit since it keeps them employed.

What I can tell you is that Jim was totally upfront about what he paid for the helicopter when I asked (and I verified since it was a public auction) and what he put into it after he bought it. He is asking a fair price for the ship as indicated by the market right now and has bent over backwards with every request that I have made of him concerning the ship and its paperwork.

Truth be told, I plan on taking the ship, flying it for awhile, putting new paint, interior and avionics in it and then flipping it myself when the market turns. Hopefully no one will judge me too harshly for doing so. :D

I have not made a final decision on which ship I will buy - the personal inspection will determine if I go for this ship or not. I have the two other ships with offers and counter offers on them so we will just see who wants my cash the most and go from there.

Thanks Again - Its always nice when people are willing to help others with information!!

Yes Chin Tu My first 500 flight was with him Back in the 80s what a pilot!!! left a lasting impression, he made my friend puke!!!and your in good hands with him. I purchased several aircraft and delt with curbers nothing but trouble.You cant make any money on that old state ship its worth today what it will be worth tomorrow minus or plus what you sink in it.I saw it pre and post you could of got a mint 89 500E in England for 475k with 2200 hours. Owner purchased new from factory,I know of several ships that kick its but they don't have the autopilot and I think that's what drawing you in?

Yes Chin Tu My first 500 flight was with him Back in the 80s what a pilot!!! left a lasting impression, he made my friend puke!!!and your in good hands with him. I purchased several aircraft and delt with curbers nothing but trouble.You cant make any money on that old state ship its worth today what it will be worth tomorrow minus or plus what you sink in it.I saw it pre and post you could of got a mint 89 500E in England for 475k with 2200 hours. Owner purchased new from factory,I know of several ships that kick its but they don't have the autopilot and I think that's what drawing you in?

Its funny - people say they can find really cheap helicopters that are in perfect shape, but no one has the name and number of the guy selling them. ;) In all my years of business one thing that I have found out is that if a deal is too good to be true..it is! We spent the last 18 months looking for the perfect 500 and never found it....

If I buy this one, the autopilot is going to come out and air conditioning is going in its place. Not sure a 20 year old auto pilot is worth anything anyway, but I am not buying the helicopter to have the auto pilot fly it for me! So the autopilot is no factor in buying the ship at all.

Rich type in GSOO at airliners that ship went for $500K ,It needed the containment ring and 1/2 wheel in 140 hours 45k max had the quote he was a private owner who purchased a new 500E money wasnt a issue he just wanted a clean deal, this is the seller you need .I keep everything on 500s that are market trend setters. The last ship I purchased was local TB21 for $239 loaded mint 2003 w 250 hrs, Avex selling them for 385K at the time....

Rich type in GSOO at airliners that ship went for $500K ,It needed the containment ring and 1/2 wheel in 140 hours 45k max had the quote he was a private owner who purchased a new 500E money wasnt a issue he just wanted a clean deal, this is the seller you need .I keep everything on 500s that are market trend setters. The last ship I purchased was local TB21 for $239 loaded mint 2003 w 250 hrs, Avex selling them for 385K at the time....

Very cool. Well, I am going down to take a look. I like new engine, new blades, new 530, etc. Looks like a good deal based on everything out there...guess we will see how the inspection goes!

Thanks Again

If it were me I'd look for a clean D model. Most E's including mine are heavier and don't fly as nice due to the pointy nose. Every D I've flown out performs the E hands down. I also prefer the smaller panel in the D which greatly improves forward visibility. I was attracted to the looks of the E but now prefer the D.

My 2 cents.