New Rotorway 300T, yes turbine

mechanic

The enstrom turbocharged engine has 225 horsepower, while the C model hiller has 210. Also, the enstrom engine is not vertical, so installing it in a Hiller would not be practical. Not much of a gain to install a 4 cylinder engine in place of a six.

The E model engine has 340 horsepower, derated to 305.

The best performing piston hiller was the SL3, with an injected turbocharged engine, and improved main rotor system. It was able to use 315 horsepower.

Then you had the Soloy turbine conversion. 420 horsepower turbine engine, derated to 301. Hard to beat for utility operations in it's day.

Yeah I know the Enstrom engine isn't vertical, but the extra power would be nice especially with the turbo at altitude. And Franklins aren't known for their reliability...I know its not practical but something along those lines would be nice. :D

E models are a nice machine, but more fuel burn and lots of finite parts compared to a C model.

Is the SL3 the one that was never really built, only a few were put together but never approved? Now the Aussies are trying to get them certified?

I think some SL3's were built. I have time in 12D, E, SL4 and 12-Soloy. SL4 was great. Pilot sat in forward center position and then held 3 pax on bench seat behind the pilot. Cabin, of course, was extended and the rotor head did not have paddle system like C, D, E's. Autos were excellent with SL rotor system. I actually learned to fly in a 12D(OH23D) in 1967. Best to all, MikeMV

Hi the notar patent is exspired! you forgot about insurance OUCH ! The 66 better sell or Robinson will be in deep dodo....Thiers over 400+ R44 for sale right now cant be good for new orders?

Might want to try the spell checker out...............

What do you have to back up that statement?

RHC is a sole proprietorship owned by Frank Robinson. He is funding the development with his own money. What data do you have that RHC will be in trouble if Frank never brings the R66 to market?

sorry for reversing some letters wile typing ROTOR WEED!!!!!! your name says it all haha

Well here you go Mr Smart one!!!

http://www.ainonline.com/news/single-news-...-future-to-r66/

Why dont you educate yourself instead of trying to educate others on use of things & Helis and the Heli business its obvious you know so much!

Edited by JETTSET99

In case you have trouble understanding MR WEED

Company founder Frank Robinson is characteristically blunt about it. “The only thing that we can count on to save this company,” he said, “is to get that R66 on the market as soon as possible, and at that point we can stop having layoffs.”

Why dont you educate yourself instead of trying to educate others on use of things & Helis and the Heli business its obvious you know so much!

"on use of things & helis"? WTF?! :rolleyes:

OK I ask again where is your DATA that "The 66 better sell or Robinson will be in deep dodo...."?

I too saw the 5 month old AIN article; Frank basically said the R66 production will save the company from having to down size it's work force; also he put on hold the planned expansion. Where does the article say he is in "Deep dodo"? Many companies are downsizing their workforces, that doesn't mean they are in deep trouble.

If Frank never brings the R66 to market the 400+ helicopters you keep pointing out are for sale; are still going to need to be overhauled every 12 years or 2200hours. They will still need service, parts, and accessories.

If you read the rest of the article he is also quoted as saying “Demand for the R44 will always be there,It has more appeal to private individuals because of initial and operating costs.”

The article also says one if their markets is not slowing down "ENG".

I think some SL3's were built. I have time in 12D, E, SL4 and 12-Soloy. SL4 was great. Pilot sat in forward center position and then held 3 pax on bench seat behind the pilot. Cabin, of course, was extended and the rotor head did not have paddle system like C, D, E's. Autos were excellent with SL rotor system. I actually learned to fly in a 12D(OH23D) in 1967. Best to all, MikeMV

Do you have any pics of the SL3 or SL4? I searched the net but couldn't find any...I also found info on a TL5 that Hiller made, PT6 turbine... :D

Hey Mechanic,

I think personal use and turbine transition will be its only true market to start with. Yes, you could use the machine thru CFI but then you would walk away with experience in an aircraft that is used very little in the field. That would mean transitioning to a piston aircraft anyway unless you are fortunate enough to find a turbine job with very little total time. I think mixing aircraft throughout training limits your marketability when its time to go to work. Putting your eggs (hours in type) in one basket early in the game may get you working sooner, especially with the extensive use of the R22, R44 and S300.

Unless they have added some shoulder room the benefit of a greater useful load will be of little use to the big guy on the long x-country trip. Even if the 300 is cheaper to rent for the IFR training I would stick with something that will pad your experience/resume in type. The clockwise rotor system is no big deal-small potatoes compared to all the other issues on the table.

The best part about this whole thing is the fact its taking place in such tight times. I think its exciting for the industry and wish them the best. The chain in the oil bath thing is a little creepy, I hope they do it right.

Cutter

Cutter49,

Thanks for your reply! I love to hear others opinions.. What makes VR a great site.

Adam32 and Mikemv,

Is this the Hiller you guys are talking about? I had saved it awhile back, think I found it on trade a plane or controller. It was for sale at the time.

I found this, link, has a pic of a E4 and SL4, they look the same to me! Both sit 4..

Ah, went back and reread your guys posts. I see now, he he. Rotor head is prob the main difference.

Better pic of SL4. Is the SL4 the ship I heard about, that was a UH12E4 with FH1100 style rotorhead on??

N4277X_20left_20full.jpg

Hiller_20SL4.jpg

Hey thanks for the pic! The one on the left is an E4, notice the paddles. The one on the right is an SL4, see no paddles. I know of one being rebuilt, hopefully I'll get some more detailed pictures of it. I wish they would start building them again!! Oh and the turbine is the E3T or E4T.

I am thinking the rotorhead is the FH1100 design. If so, they, Hiller, sold the rights to the FH1100 so they can't offer this head anymore on the UH series???

It looks like the FH1100 design, buts its actually different. Not sure how, but I guess it was A LOT better then the FH1100 system...

• 2 months later...

For the quoted price listed by another individual which was stated as being $400-$500K is too pricey. Why pay that when one can purchase a Bell 206B in great condition and excellent remaining times on components for $350K and it will seat 4-5 individuals very comfortably. The Robinson R44 may be built for 4 but in reality the back two seats are extremely cramped.

• 1 year later...

I have an A600 Talon but i would like to chance the motor for another one more powerfull? Someone could tell me which one it work, for this helicopter

Strange that you would bump this thread for that question, but it is really one that should be asked on rotorwayownersgroup.com

Your options are pretty limited. The most popular conversion is to the t62 solar turbine, but that is a fairly major modification.

The only other real option currently is Andrew Burr's VPS engine. vphelo.com

Burr's test ship "Frankenstein" just went down a month or so ago, so I'd still consider his engine to be unproven. NTSB details still pending.

• Like 1