Help a new bloke out..plz

wopilot

Got out of the Army a little over a year ago to pursue other opportunities, well not too long ago I competed my FW side of the house and am currently working on my FW CFI and CFII. I have found a place to complete my CFI and CFII for RW and will do that as soon as I can. I have about 800 hours of RW time and seem to be stuck right in that "just short of a job" hour line.

My question I guess is this: What is the best way to get hours in RW in the Civilian world? Do companies take 700 hours and give any creedance to the fact that it is Military time and shorten the hours requirements? Any info to make the transition would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sure this question has been asked a lot, but I could not find one on the first couple pages, I'm probably just looking in the wrong spot.

Thanks in advance.

WOPilot, please give us more info. Is it 800 or 700 hours? How much is PIC? How much time in what aircraft? Have you attained the FAA RWH Commercial Certificate and Instrument Rating? What aircraft will you be using for RW CFI? More info helps us give you good advice! Best to you, MikeMV

Its closer to 800, 500 of which are PIC in both the B206 is about 150 and the 64D is a little over 600. I did do the Mil-comp and have my commercial-instrument. There are 2 places near-by that one uses the Enstrom and one uses R22's and R44's. I'm thinking the Robinson because its a more widely used aircraft.

I have about 300 tt in FW, 55 ME, and the rest in a Cirrus.

I've never heard of anybody giving 'extra credit' for military flight time. That said, the personality that got you into that seat is often an asset if you can get some face time with the decision makers. I don't think it'll be multiplier of flight experience, it's a strong discriminator amongst those potentially qualified.

Your biggest immediate problem is, as you recognize, a definable deficiency- insufficient flight experience- in an especially tough market. The market will improve as the economy does. Lots of pilots have been where you are, but it kills lots of careers if a way of building experience isn't found.

In the long term, if you're serious about EMS, you face a second challenge- unaided night flight experience. You don't mention any, and it's a common stumbling point for pilots aiming at EMS. As you build time, get some.

Thanks Wally,

I realize the problem in the unaided night time. I actually have a lists of the mins posted up to keep me chugging towards them. My POA is the Robby CFI and go from there.