Aeronautical degree in helicopter world?

Sheam

Hey all. Wanted to get your guys opinion on a subject. I'm currently out of training after finishing my ppl and I'm trying to figure out my next move. I plan to use my GI bill for the next part of training but with the new post 9/11 bill that just came out I'm curious about going to college to attend their Aeronautical science program. From what I can tell it's all about fixed wing and my heart is set on rotor. But with the job market the way it is it a good time to be a student (I think). I guess I'm wondering if a degree is worth it when I'm pursuing a career in helos. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Sheam

Mostly I think it depends on what you want to do in your career. Any degree can be a big help if you ever decide to get more into the management end of things. An aviation specific degree can be even better if you ever get tired of flying or can't fly because of medical issues etc. but want to stay in the industry. When it comes to flying jobs I think a degree can put you ahead of those with similar qualifications but no degree but your flying experience is ultimately what gets you the job. As far as the school itself goes, I'm not sure. Sometimes they will allow you to do rotor-wing instead and give you the same credits as fixed-wing. You just have to talk to the school. Whatever you choose, good luck!

I have a History/Political Science degree (works just like a business) and loved getting it at the same time. Anymore employers see a degree as a degree. I'm just the opposite in the Aeronautical degree side of the house, in that, if I can't do anything else but fly, I don't want to be around it. I would want to be flying too much. But that's just me.

Well I can say after much discussion with people on here and also people around my home town my buddy and I have decided to put RW on the back burner. Just a temp thing though as we are going to get our FW stuff first. There has been A LOT of discussion on here about being dual rated and how it's better in the long run. Not only that but getting the RW ratings later will be much cheaper too. Once I did the math and saw it in black and white did I see what everyone was talking about.

I personally am getting into (or trying) one of our local Community Colleges that offers a Professional Pilot program (AAS). With any luck my Paramedic course will help reduce some of the credits I need for that degree and hence reduce costs. Financial aid right now sucks big time so I'm still on hold for starting any training. If they offered a degree while doing RW I'd jump on that in a heartbeat too but not around here.. :( Only one RW school left in the immediate area now as it is and well I'll just leave it as that....

I realize it doesn't really pertain to your question directly but it's my 2 cents. I too am trying to finish up my GI Bill too but it's over 10 years now so I think my chances are probably none to none.. :( But I'm still hopefull! :)