Going in the Army

LFGuard10

Well guys and gals, I've decided to enlist in the Army. I'll hopefully be going in as 15-Tango (Blackhawk Helicopter Repairer). After being enlisted for a few years, I'm going to make a stab at WOFT. I've wanted to fly helicopters for a LOOOONG time now. I've been a lurker here with only a few posts, and there's a wealth of information here. Thank you to all who make this site what it is.

Anybody else here in Army helicopter maintenence?

Not that being a 15-T is a bad thing, but I would highly recommend putting in your warrant packet and being an officer. They have it so much better than enlisted. I can speak from 1st hand experience after 6 years of being a tango and a 60 crew chief. Don't get me wrong, I've had a hell of a blast being a tango and a crew chief, but the warrants have it better in every single way. I really would recommend looking into putting your warrant packet in.

But one thing is for sure : You can't go wrong with aviation in the Army. We it have it GOOD! You'll really enjoy it :) GL with your journey!

Fly Army!

Hi LFGuard10,

Why would you want to wait? If you have the scores from your entrance exams, then I would spend the time getting the paperwork, physicals and interviews needed to be accepted to flight school.

I went into the Army at the tail end of Vietnam, and they were not taking anyone for flight school. I was persestiant, and finally went 4 1/2 years later. But I gotta tell you, you will tend to get a bit of a run around, once your in trying to get into flight school (at least I did, and I have a son who's been in the Army now for 8 years, and he has been expieriencing the same type of run around problems). Point here is, do it now!

If you like the maintenance field, after you have completed flight training, then you can later track the maintenance field and apply to attend the Army's Maintenance Test Pilot School.

In either case, good luck with your endeavors.