woohoo, went on my first intro flight

Well, it was a nice day, amazingly like the weatherman said it would be and i just got my first .7 hours of flight logged in my fancy little log book. It was great, Nick the pilot at ChicagoHeli was great and down to earth and the business partner Ryan was just as cool. He sat me down, went over safety and common items as required and then we did a walk through of the Nice R22 beta II they have. After that, he fired it up and off we went. Having never been in a helicopter like that, we taxied down the runway and then he took off and about crapped my pants. Had a quick thought of what the heck am i doing, then calm set in. Great flight, showed me tons of stuff and let me fly ALOT. Of course i tried to study and watch alot of flight videos to understand all the controls, and operating procedures that i can possibly understand and retain. But, it was a great experience and can't wait to continue with building my hours and learning to fly as good as nick was, of course, some day. If you live near the western part of chicago, or whatever, give them a try. They will be more than happy to help you and in the meanwhile you will be helping them with building their business in these tough times. Anyway, I was just so hyped up and excited and had to talk about it. Thanks for listening.

I had the same grin on my face for a month after my demo flight in the Enstrom.... As a matter of fact i have a picture of me sitting in it that my wife took on my blackberry. great wallpaper!! Some day i'll do it again... The dream will never fade......

67 I can only imagine what it was like to actually fly a Huey. I would love that opportunity one day...

I did my intro a few days ago...with no door on my side. Very awesome. My training doesn't start till the 21st but I couldn't wait till then. I just had to head up to the flight school to do a flight to hold me over till then. Feels great to be back in helos again. 67november is right..it's an addiction.

Well, it was a nice day, amazingly like the weatherman said it would be and i just got my first .7 hours of flight logged in my fancy little log book. It was great, Nick the pilot at ChicagoHeli was great and down to earth and the business partner Ryan was just as cool. He sat me down, went over safety and common items as required and then we did a walk through of the Nice R22 beta II they have. After that, he fired it up and off we went. Having never been in a helicopter like that, we taxied down the runway and then he took off and about crapped my pants. Had a quick thought of what the heck am i doing, then calm set in. Great flight, showed me tons of stuff and let me fly ALOT. Of course i tried to study and watch alot of flight videos to understand all the controls, and operating procedures that i can possibly understand and retain. But, it was a great experience and can't wait to continue with building my hours and learning to fly as good as nick was, of course, some day. If you live near the western part of chicago, or whatever, give them a try. They will be more than happy to help you and in the meanwhile you will be helping them with building their business in these tough times. Anyway, I was just so hyped up and excited and had to talk about it. Thanks for listening.

It sounds like you're addicted. If you want I will send you the address of the nearest chapter of Helicopter Pilots Anonymous.

hey guys, also. They have a headset for me to use for now, but when and what kind of headset is good for me to get during this time of my training. My plan is to get my PPL, then move on to the commercial then my CFI and then on from there. I have noticed that the good headsets with the nice noise cancelation are insane expensive. I am going to have to sell a gun out of my collection to afford a pair of the those, which i don't mind. I don't shoot them, i just take them out, look at them and put them back, so i guess i can justify selling one for something that i could use alot more. By the way anyone looking to get rid of some headphones for a new toy? thanks By the way did i metion i love the helicopter

Ive got the lightspeed zulus and love them, I used an old pair of david clarks for my PPL then got the zulus while getting my IR/CPL....I use the bose as well in a 206 I fly and the zulus are just as nice as the bose, if not more comfortable and they're cheaper with more features (bluetooth, ipod input)...so my vote is for the zulu, but bose does have the reputation.

you'll need a kneeboard, I use and recommend this one

http://wings-aviation.com/catalog/product_...adb5a0bde3610e0

As for the Zulu headsets

http://www.skygeek.com/00732.html

Unless your doing all your training in a 44 or another ship with a powered panel plug, get the one in the link..just get some rechargeable batteries...mine last ~40-50 hours without using the bluetooth.

Also, whats in your flying kit? And where'd ya get it??

Edited by nikon858

Do not go cheap on headsets. Get a good one. Your hearing is one thing they check on medicals. Protect it. I use a Telex ANR 4000, I have had it for almost 20 years and it still works well. Check Ebay for bargains. If there is a pilot shop nearby, go there and try headsets on. An uncomfortable headset is a pain. They call David Clark's head vises for a reason.

I got by just fine with the cheapest sigtronics headset (under 200 bucks) for my PPL. Never had any discomfort or complaints. I'll probly just get an adapter for it and continue using it for my helicopter training as well. I don't see any sense in spending several hundred dollars on a headset just starting out in training...unless you have that kind of money.

nikon858, i got a standard kit. I had my instructor look at a few different ones and he said this one was fine and he had anything else that i might need. Here is the link to the kit i got. It is a really good website.

http://www.helicoptersonly.com/index1.html

It is going to be here today, can't wait to dive into the books, in the meantime, i have been all kinds of books, manuals, and video's as well as the microsoft flight simulator that i have had for years. I was also looking at the

Zuluworks Mini-Z Pilot Kneeboard and the

Fly Boys VFR/IFR Kneeboard

on the same website, what do you think about either one of those? I am only 5'4" so i an short and don't need a kneeboard that is the length of my leg, you know? So i am trying to find one kind of small.

and Crashed_05: I sure don't have that kind of cash just to throw around on expensive headsets, I am in the military, we don't get paid that good. Sure i would love them, but i just want to find a good pair that is good enough to start off and last a while until i get more hours, then i can move up. the cost of the training and the supplies is tapping my current funds, so I'm just trying to shop smart for now, of course unless you just want to donate a pair to a good cause. HUH? HUH?

The vfr/ifr kneeboard looks pretty close to the one I posted....just never used it...I know when I was in school, we all had the same kneeboard, either it's a really good one, or thats just what the school told us all to buy

I know the thing I like about mine is it's pretty small.....just don't spend too much money on one...I haven't touched mine since I finished my training, a 496 and a chart in a pocket is all I need.

And as far as the headsets, if your gonna spend money on a half way decent one now, then get a better one later, why not just get the good one now and not waste your money? when you think of it the cost of the headsets is only 2 flight hours....in comparison it's really not that much money, might as well just go for the good one right off the bat.

and Crashed_05: I sure don't have that kind of cash just to throw around on expensive headsets, I am in the military, we don't get paid that good. Sure i would love them, but i just want to find a good pair that is good enough to start off and last a while until i get more hours, then i can move up. the cost of the training and the supplies is tapping my current funds, so I'm just trying to shop smart for now, of course unless you just want to donate a pair to a good cause. HUH? HUH?

Do you plan on getting out of the military soon? If so, there are several schools approved for the Post 9/11 GI Bill to cover 100% of your flight training (must be a flight school/college combo). Plus you get E-5 w/dependents BAH and up to $1000 per term for books.

I had a regular old ENORMOUS $12 aluminum VFR kneeboard and then someone gave me this one b/c it was too small for his leg. I lucked out, it's a great little kneeboard and fits my 5'5" 125# frame perfectly...doesn't stick into the cyclic or jam into my guts if I lean forward like the old one.

http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/721

I used a borrowed DC headset for about the first 10 hours of my flight training then found a practically new BOSE X on ebay for $600 and have used it every day since. I have never been poorer than as a CFII, so don't plan on the upgrade coming anytime soon if you go the cheaper route first! :P

That said, it would be nice to have a spare headset these days as many new students do not have their own right away and I am constantly borrowing which is tiresome. An old DC out of the closet would be great right about now!

all i can say is heck yea. Just finished my second lesson and got everything down. The trainer is amazed how fast i picked it up. Of course i am the type of person that can pick anything hands on up very fast, but the book stuff will be tough for me. The flying lessons are great, only time he touched the sticks today was when we took off from his house away from the hanger, that was pretty much it, except one time he took it from me to give me a break cause he saw that i started having a death grip on the controls. Other than that, i had it all day and brought it back to the hanger for shut down. Now i just have to work on understanding and talking on the radio. He had me talk on it today, but it is still running through my head on what everyone says and what i need to say on the radio. this is great and i am not sure if i will be able to hold out until the next one on tuesday for all week lessons. I guess i will have to jump on the microsoft flight sim to hold me over. I think i am addicted. My wife even says i have a glow since i have started. this is sick. I love it.