MD500E makes it to its new home

HeloJunkie

Just thought I would share with everyone that I finally purchased an MD500e (N52550) and flew it from Miami Florida to Carlsbad California in two days (20.1 flight hours) used 547.57 gallons of Jet-A in the process. The lowest I paid for Jet A was $2.99 and the highest was $4.99/gallon.

Myself and Chin Tu of Civic Helicopters in Carlsbad California made the trip. I flew all but about two hours of the total flight time.

It was a fantastic flight, no mechanical problems, no weather problems other than a few rain showers and everyone along the entire was fantastic to us.

The ship runs like a dream and will eventually get new paint, new interior and a reworking of the panel and radios.

For those interested, my route of flight was:

DAY ONE

Opa Locka (KOPF) to Cross City (KCTY) (2.6 Hours - 71.57 Gallons Jet-A) (50 Ft. MSL)

KCTY - Mobile AL (KBFM) (2.6 Hobbs & 75 Gallons)

KBFM - Alexndria, LA (KAEX) (2.3 Hobbs & 69 Gallons)

KAEX - Waxahache, TX (KJWY) (2.2 Hobbs & 63 Gallons)

DAY TWO

KJWY - Lubbock, TX (KLUB) (2.6 Hobbs & 70 Gallons)

KLUB - Belen, MN (E80) (2.3 Hobbs & 64 Gallons) (5200 Ft. MSL)

E80 - Deer Valley (Phoenix) AZ (DVT) (2.7 Hobbs & 67 Gallons)

DVT - Carlsbad CA (KCRQ) (2.8 Hobbs & 68 Gallons)

The highest altitude we hit was just over 10,000' going over mountains going into Belen, NM.

START

3876689772_56e8307100.jpg

FINISH

3876710018_6c8e35e5f0.jpg

You can view all the pictures of the trip here.

Just thought I would share with everyone that I finally purchased an MD500e (N52550) and flew it from Miami Florida to Carlsbad California in two days (20.1 flight hours) used 547.57 gallons of Jet-A in the process. The lowest I paid for Jet A was $2.99 and the highest was $4.99/gallon.

Myself and Chin Tu of Civic Helicopters in Carlsbad California made the trip. I flew all but about two hours of the total flight time.

It was a fantastic flight, no mechanical problems, no weather problems other than a few rain showers and everyone along the entire was fantastic to us.

The ship runs like a dream and will eventually get new paint, new interior and a reworking of the panel and radios.

Very nice indeed! However, where are all of the bugs on the plexiglass??

All the best with your new toy!

Cheers

Rotorrodent

Congratulations on the new ship. I've always loved the MD500, and I've heard they're great flying helicopters. I enjoyed the pictures, and noticed you flew right by my workplace at the Destin airport. Maybe you can give us an update in the future if you get the new paint/interior.

HeloJunkie:

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

When I grow up I want to be just like you!!!!!!!!!!!

Outstanding! One good looking ship and I'm sure you will make it "one great looking and flying ship" too.

As always, keep us posted on all of "personal" upgrades.

"STOP Smiling" so much. Oh, never mind.....

Be safe,

edspilot

Congratulations on the new ship. I've always loved the MD500, and I've heard they're great flying helicopters. I enjoyed the pictures, and noticed you flew right by my workplace at the Destin airport. Maybe you can give us an update in the future if you get the new paint/interior.

Will Do! I have a guy working on several paint designs now so we will see what he comes up with !

Nice looking ship, thanks for the photos... yep, guess i'm pretty jealous as well!! Thanks for sharing... wish i would have known you were coming by we would have flown down for lunch!!

aloha,

dp

Yea, we were moving pretty fast - trying to make it home in two days!!

My goodness. I wish I could fly for two hours and use only 60 gallons of fuel. Makes me miss training, and a 25 GPH fuel flow. Now I'm at 850 lbs/hr.

She's a nice little helicopter. I'm more than slightly jealous.

Geeze..what are you flying..?

I went from 14 GPH in my R44 to 190 lbs per hour in the 500 and was a little surprised even though I knew it was coming.

:lol:

HeloJunkie:

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

When I grow up I want to be just like you!!!!!!!!!!!

Outstanding! One good looking ship and I'm sure you will make it "one great looking and flying ship" too.

As always, keep us posted on all of "personal" upgrades.

"STOP Smiling" so much. Oh, never mind.....

Be safe,

edspilot

Thanks edspilot !! I have a lot of plans for this one and I think I could see myself flying her in 20 years so there are some modifications I want to do. I will keep everyone posted !

That's one awsome looking bird! Congrats on the new purchase! That looks like an amazing flight too. I would also like to point out that you have the EXACT same shoes I do. haha.

Thanks !! And great choice on the shoes !! Too Funny. :D

That picture of the houses built around the "lake", is called SunLakes. I fly over it maybe 4 times a week for 2 years now and I never paid attention to it till I saw the photo. Great album, and looked like a great trip! Never seen anyone snoozing in a heli cockpit before! Thanks for sharing.

Congrats Richard!

You should fly it up to TOA and meet up with Jon, who has a 500E. Let me know if you ever do cause I'll fly the 44 down and say hi!

BTW- What's gonna happen to the sweet 44 you built up ?

Goldy

Congrats Richard!

You should fly it up to TOA and meet up with Jon, who has a 500E. Let me know if you ever do cause I'll fly the 44 down and say hi!

BTW- What's gonna happen to the sweet 44 you built up ?

Goldy

Hey Goldy -

That sounds like a good idea...we will have to put that together.

My goal will be to sell the R44 eventually but for now I am going to keep it. While the ship I purchased is in fantastic shape, there are a slew of mods and STCs I want to put on it along with new panel, new interior and new paint. So I figure I have a project helicopter for at least 6 months!!

After that I will start to market the R44.

That picture of the houses built around the "lake", is called SunLakes. I fly over it maybe 4 times a week for 2 years now and I never paid attention to it till I saw the photo. Great album, and looked like a great trip! Never seen anyone snoozing in a heli cockpit before! Thanks for sharing.

121.todd -

It was an amazing area. I have tons of high-def video as well that will eventually make it onto my YouTube site. I'll post a link once I start putting them up!

Richard, THATS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!

What a sweet machine, nice choice.

I'll have to join you sometime and buzz that baby around. Very sweet.

Thanks Sebastian -

It was the next (and hopefully final) logical step for me in the helicopter world. The folks I talk to with 500s never want to leave them.