HeloJunkie

MD500E makes it to its new home

Nice looking E model, you should take it around to Marsh and big John and see if you can swap it for their 530F and then you will know about fuel useage :lol:

Nice looking E model, you should take it around to Marsh and big John and see if you can swap it for their 530F and then you will know about fuel useage :lol:

Ah..but Big John sold his F model about a week ago. Nice looking machine....maybe in a few years when Jet A drops in price B)

So he finally sold it, good on him. I know Marsh is getting another Explorer so at least BJ will have something to fly.

I will be in your neck of the woods next week so might have to come down and have a look at it. Congrats again on the purchase. MD500 series are best helos made.

Ned

So he finally sold it, good on him. I know Marsh is getting another Explorer so at least BJ will have something to fly.

I will be in your neck of the woods next week so might have to come down and have a look at it. Congrats again on the purchase. MD500 series are best helos made.

Ned

Yea, I know he was happy to sell it so he could get something else. Let me know when you are going to be down, I may be around. If not, its sitting at Civic.

"The folks I talk to with 500s never want to leave them". Not found many owners who would. tried the rest got the best :ph34r:

Great machine I like the paint, any stick stir or vibes, what blades Boeing or HTC?.

We would like to change the consul on our 500 keep thinking as to design but as in UK with an N reg not so easy.

Fancy something like a banana on a stick type of design

Congrats Richard!

I still want to convince my boss to get a 500E to replace the R44. I only have 2 hours in a 500 (d model) so I may PM you with some questions comparing ownership between the two ships (if there is even a comparison!).

gotta echo everyone... it's a ferrarri of the skies... and looks great!! congrats!!! B)

Twinne, good to see you south of the border, stop in more often bud.

Congrats Richard!

I still want to convince my boss to get a 500E to replace the R44. I only have 2 hours in a 500 (d model) so I may PM you with some questions comparing ownership between the two ships (if there is even a comparison!).

No problem Brian...only have about 25 hours in her though so I minght not be the best source of information :lol:

"The folks I talk to with 500s never want to leave them". Not found many owners who would. tried the rest got the best :ph34r:

Great machine I like the paint, any stick stir or vibes, what blades Boeing or HTC?.

We would like to change the consul on our 500 keep thinking as to design but as in UK with an N reg not so easy.

Fancy something like a banana on a stick type of design

Hi 500e -

The blades are brand new HTC, the engine now has 50 hours since Dallas Airmotive rebuilt it. No stir or vibes that I can tell...my instructor (Chin Tu) says its one of the nicest flying 500s he has flown and I guess he has flown a bunch of them...so I guess its good to go!!

That is a nice ship. I can't wait to see the upgrades you have planned. As for the paint, I won't complain if you go old school.

28a2s7b.jpg

Outstanding!

Classic.

How many of you had the theme song start playing in your head as soon as you looked at that pic?

Congratulations. Those are some pretty cool pictures.

Thanks - it was a great rtrip !!

Hello Richard- We spoke when you were exploring the Jetranger purchase vs R44,and it seemed that maintenance and insurance were your biggest concerns,followed by resale value.Your new ship is beautiful and I wish you all the luck in the world with it. I'm assuming you'll be flying with a turbine rated CFI until you meet the insurance man's requirements-Very anxious to see your plans for the 500. Regards,Jim

Hello Richard- We spoke when you were exploring the Jetranger purchase vs R44,and it seemed that maintenance and insurance were your biggest concerns,followed by resale value.Your new ship is beautiful and I wish you all the luck in the world with it. I'm assuming you'll be flying with a turbine rated CFI until you meet the insurance man's requirements-Very anxious to see your plans for the 500. Regards,Jim

Hi Jim -

Thanks for the kind words. You are correct, maintenance and insurance are important but after almost 500 hours in my R44, it was time to move on to something different. After a LOT of research, the 500 really ended up being the ship for me. With a zero time engine and new blades, hopefully the maintenance will not be too bad for a few years!

I have already completed my required insurance checkout with Chin Tu, owner of Civic Helicopters in Carlsbad, California. Chin is an amazing pilot, teacher and former test pilot for MD. Now that I am "checked out", I feel like I am learning the R44 all over again. I have a ton of practice to do to be as comfortable in the 500 as I am in my R44 and I am looking forward to the learning process as I progress from my checkout and learn as much about the 500 as I can. The more I know, I feel the safer I will be as a 500 pilot. I spend a lot of time just flying for practice and I am going to start working towards my rotor commercial in the 500. That should help me learn more about it.

I do have plans to restore it from the frame up and that should be a lot of fun so I will be keeping my R44 until I get the 500 completely restored and it comes back to me ready to fly!

:)

Richard,

Chin is indeed an amazing pilot, especially in the 500. I did a turbine transition class with him back in '96 in 268ST, the 500D. First and only time that I got real close to being air sick, we did the helicopter equivalent of a hammer head stall immediately followed by a high-G (5? what's the POH say the limit is?) 360 deg turn right after. Really strange looking out the window and seeing the horizon at a right angle after spending so much time flying a Robbie!

Nice looking 500E. When my Raven II gets to around 600 hrs, I may go with a 500 also, nice aircraft.

Mike

Richard,

Chin is indeed an amazing pilot, especially in the 500. I did a turbine transition class with him back in '96 in 268ST, the 500D. First and only time that I got real close to being air sick, we did the helicopter equivalent of a hammer head stall immediately followed by a high-G (5? what's the POH say the limit is?) 360 deg turn right after. Really strange looking out the window and seeing the horizon at a right angle after spending so much time flying a Robbie!

Nice looking 500E. When my Raven II gets to around 600 hrs, I may go with a 500 also, nice aircraft.

Mike

Mike - I did my initial training with Chin in the 300 when I decided to move to helicopters, he is a lot of fun to fly with and has an amazing amount of knowledge in his head about all different types of helicopters.

I love the 500 so far but still have the R44 as I am sending the 500 into the shop to get it restored!

Hi Richard

Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Are there any MD500 specific forums or message boards that you know of?

Thanks also for the info on Civic. They might get some work from me because of you.

Ciao

Stuart