R-22 GT Glass Cockpit

I just got a chance yesterday to fly the R-22GT glass cockpit. Wow! The amount of information it makes available to you is amazing. Even more impressive is that it does it all in a way that is easy to understand and is very user friendly. Better yet, it flies like a normal VFR ship. No weight and balance problems. If I had to have a complaint its that it is a bit heavy overall. If the pilots are a bit on the heavy side (me and another pilot = 370 lbs.) you can't carry much fuel. But I guess that just means planning on a fuel stop on those cross country flights.

I know this sounds a bit like an ad, but this is my honest impression. I hope it works as well as it sounds. I'm a bit jealous of the students who will be flying this, I would have loved to have saved a couple thousand dollars on my training by spending less time in a 44!

I can't seem to find any information regarding that helicopter. Not having to fly the R44 would save a whole bunch of money! Where did you find this R-22 GT?

[EDIT] Never mind, found a school and lots of info. Looks interesting!

Edited by Miles

I can't seem to find any information regarding that helicopter. Not having to fly the R44 would save a whole bunch of money! Where did you find this R-22 GT?

[EDIT] Never mind, found a school and lots of info. Looks interesting!

You dont have to fly the 44 or the 22GT for instrument training. There are plenty of IFR R22's out there, in fact one is for sale on EBay right now.

I dont like the rotor RPM on the GT model, bit too small for me to see, maybe its 50 year old eyes!

Just found out we have a video of the glass cockpit up on youtube. I'll post the link when I get a chance but you can look for it under R22-GT or Specialized Helicopters.

As far as the RPM its actually about the same size as the old analog if you keep it on the MFD and you have the advantage of a number read-out as well as color changes if you get out of the green.

Found it!

Edited by horsefly

The music in that video is awesome!!!

I'm really looking forward to getting my instrument in this helicopter, but I may need to be a little more strict on my diet, as weight may be an issue. Something they mentioned, but didn't really explain in-depth is that in a normal R22 with IFR setup all of the instrumentation is forward, causing a nose-low feel. With the GT the actual instrument panel is comparatively light, all of the brains and weight of the system are under the seats so it balances quite well.

Edited by Sparker

It is a bit heavier than a VFR equipped ship. I don't have the numbers handy but if I remember correctly I was able to fly with a combined weight of instructor & student weight of around 360 lbs. and carry an hour worth of fuel plus reserve and stay within CG limits. Obviously cross country flights will require fuel stops but with the money saved vs. the -44 I would be willing to put up with that inconvenience.

I don't have the comps but I am pretty sure it is lighter than the standard IFR R-22 but of course it will be heavier than the VFR equiped one. The CG won't be as far forward like it is in the standard IFR equiped R-22.

JD

I'm just wondering why they would waste that much time and money doing a glass cockpit R22...a 300 or Enstrom would have been MUCH better imo...

And much more expensive... Considering every helicopter at this school is Robinson it would make sense that they do it with a R-22. They are a Robinson authorized maintenance shop and dealer, as I understand it they are one of a handful of places authorized to do the 2,200 hour overhaul. The point was to try to save money for the students, while drawing in new students. I am guessing the R22 GT will cost about the same rate per hour as a VFR 300. Saying its a waste of money is :lol: .

$315/hr, $14,074 for a rating. But thats not the point, the R22 isn't a stable platform compared to the others for IFR training... and for the most part spending money on any Robbie is a waste of money...imo.

Edited by adam32

I'd like to know why you think the r22 is a waste of money.

As for the OT, I saw the glass r22 at Heli Expo this year. It was amazing. The guys displaying it from specialized helicopters in watsonville were very knowledgeable and great to talk to.

$315/hr, $14,074 for a rating. But thats not the point, the R22 isn't a stable platform compared to the others for IFR training... and for the most part spending money on any Robbie is a waste of money...imo.

I'd like to know why you think the r22 is a waste of money.

Rotor system is a horrible design, cyclic is lame, unstable, low max seat weight, not a good platform for IFR training, tight fit for two full size adults (especially with knee boards). I would just rather go under the hood in something more stable and forgiving...again just my opinion...but what do I know, I have a Hiller <_<

I've just never jumped on the Robbie bandwagon is all.

Ahh, gotya. Everyones entitled to their own opinions. I did my IFR training in a 22. It wasn't perfect, but it was a good experience. I guess it all comes down to what you know. I did all my training in Robbies, so i have an undying love for them. When a local pilot got a hiller, i took one look at it and vowed never to get in one :P

To me the 22 is the miata of the heli world. Its not the best looking ship, and you don't really want to be seen in it, but it sure is fun to fly.

Rotor system is a horrible design, cyclic is lame, unstable, low max seat weight, not a good platform for IFR training, tight fit for two full size adults (especially with knee boards). I would just rather go under the hood in something more stable and forgiving...again just my opinion...but what do I know, I have a Hiller <_>

and for the most part spending money on any Robbie is a waste of money...imo.

Ooh no, so Robbie time doesn't count as helicopter hours? Damn it all to hell!! Time to go back to the drawing board! <_>

not a good platform for IFR training, tight fit for two full size adults (especially with knee boards).

You're right, I'm sure a fully autopilot Dauphin is much more stable, or the new D-model S76 with it's Anti-icing blades is much more suitable for IFR training. I ain't no Robbie fanboy, but the bottom line is the bottom line at the end of the day!

You should try the Flyboys kneeboard, it's perfect for a small cockpit. ;)

Ooh no, so Robbie time doesn't count as helicopter hours? Damn it all to hell!! Time to go back to the drawing board! <_<

Nooo, not what I meant. Heli time is heli time...Robbie, Brantly, Hiller, 300, anything counts in the ol' log book. I meant spending the money on R&D, testing, approval etc. for a glass cockpit in an R22...

Nooo, not what I meant. Heli time is heli time...Robbie, Brantly, Hiller, 300, anything counts in the ol' log book. I meant spending the money on R&D, testing, approval etc. for a glass cockpit in an R22...

Ok gotcha. I picked it up the wrong way. But I kinda disagree with even the above statement. If you're gonna develop a training platform, wouldn't it be the best business strategy to develop for the most commonly used aircraft first. When you sell enough units to recover the R&D, testing, and approval costs, then branch out into the lesser used aircraft.

I do agree though that the R22 isn't the best platform for IFR training from a practical-in-the-air standpoint. But it is the cheapest, which trumps all.

I would just rather go under the hood in something more stable and forgiving...again just my opinion...but what do I know, I have a Hiller <_<

You might try a C-182, much more stable and forgiving...not as much fun either.

Jerry

Ok gotcha. I picked it up the wrong way. But I kinda disagree with even the above statement. If you're gonna develop a training platform, wouldn't it be the best business strategy to develop for the most commonly used aircraft first. When you sell enough units to recover the R&D, testing, and approval costs, then branch out into the lesser used aircraft.

I do agree though that the R22 isn't the best platform for IFR training from a practical-in-the-air standpoint. But it is the cheapest, which trumps all.

Your right, from a straight business standpoint it makes sense. I hope they do well with it and make lots of money with/from it.

Someone just needs to make a glass panel Hiller or 47, then I'll be happy :P

It is a bit heavier than a VFR equipped ship. I don't have the numbers handy but if I remember correctly I was able to fly with a combined weight of instructor & student weight of around 360 lbs. and carry an hour worth of fuel plus reserve and stay within CG limits. Obviously cross country flights will require fuel stops but with the money saved vs. the -44 I would be willing to put up with that inconvenience.

Its only 10 pounds more than a VFR ship and we put half of the weight under the left seat and the panel is about the same as a 7 hole panel. We have a all of this info and more at www.r22r44.com.

2 people at 175 lbs can fly for 2.5 hours and remain in weight and balance the whole time.

• 1 year later...

I just started my training at Palm Beach Helicopters, and the r22 i have trained in this whole time is the r22-GT. It is hard for me to compare it to a normal r22 seeing that i have never flown a ship without the glass cockpit lol. but i completely agree. being i have ZERO flight backround, hopping in this ship i was easily able to read work and understand the gauges.

I in fact have my first solo flight today !!! Wish me luck guys !

At our school in Massachusetts we use a newly overhauled Robinson R-22 instrument trainer. It's a great, affordable way to get your instrument rating. It's not glass cockpit (that sounds fun), but it's $290/hr dual. Combine it with the Part 141 instrument rating and you save thousands of dollars.

If you have any questions about using the R22 as an instrument trainer, give us a call.

Thanks!

Edited by 67november
content