R-22 GT Glass Cockpit

I in fact have my first solo flight today !!! Wish me luck guys !

Hey good luck today on that solo. There is a whole debate about knowing when your first solo is....but let us know how it goes.

Goldy

I just started my training at Palm Beach Helicopters, and the r22 i have trained in this whole time is the r22-GT. It is hard for me to compare it to a normal r22 seeing that i have never flown a ship without the glass cockpit lol. but i completely agree. being i have ZERO flight backround, hopping in this ship i was easily able to read work and understand the gauges...

Is there any problem with glare from the Sun? How about difficulty seeing the screen with shades on, like with a portable GPS?

If the electricity goes out, what guages are left?

:huh:

Is there any problem with glare from the Sun? How about difficulty seeing the screen with shades on, like with a portable GPS?

If the electricity goes out, what guages are left?

:huh:

actually you can turn the brightness up and down so glare to me has not been an issue and im in south florida lol. if the power goes out im pretty sure you lose everything but the air speed and altimeter. they deem that a land as soon as practical i believe, also with shapdes on its still not as problem seeing the display, i use shades everytime i fly and have had not one problem with seeing the display. i love it, and all the things you can do with it is just amazing, plus like i said before its very user friendly. super fast to switch between modes, you can also customize the gauges and place them where you want, for instance when im practicing autos i move the airspeed and rpm gauges next to each other, which im sure you remember the "Airspeed, RPM Outside" deal, so it really helps having those right next to eachother :)

Specialized- Two years ago at Heli Expo I recommended that anytime the MP drops below 10 or so, you should enlarge the Rotor RPM and Airspeed gauges. If I'm in an auto, that's all I want to see.

At that point, fuel gauges, oil pressure, etc...don't mean much.

• 2 weeks later...

In case you guys wanted too see and know more about the glass cockpit, I just ran across this video. should answer all your questions for the most part. and as you can see, there really is no problem with glare or brightness of it. This is the SAME GT I'm getting to use at Palm Beach Helicopters.