Are there really that many helo jobs out there?

spubar44

I have currently started flight training. I have been in the military for 15.5 years now and looking at retiring in 4.5 years. I will have 20 years active service and be 38 years old. I do not have any flying experience in the military but hope to have my CFII and alot of hours on the books. My question is, Will my military service give me one up when applying for jobs as a helo pilot or will they frown upon a military background?

Edited by spubar44

Not to hijack, but something came up this past weekend at the air show that i need input/clarification on. One of the other local flight schools is telling their new prospective VA students that if you go thru their program you will be "fast tracked" to Warrant Officer Status. A recruiter that got the pitch from them said that it was totally untrue, that there are so many people in line for that position already that it's almost impossible to get..

What is reality? We have had people asking us this question and don't know what to tell them.

also, this school has one price for the VA and one price for the person walking in off the street... the price for the the VA is about 40% higher than the cash price, this just doesn't seem right to us and some vets that fly/train with us. Is this ok, to bill the VA more than civilians? The owner of that school has said; "that's the way it's done in this business!" Is that true? One example is that they have a huge management/scheduling fee for the VA, but if you pay cash you don't have to pay that fee.. and the prices for their "solo insurance" is almost double for the VA students.

just wondering how to answer the questions we're getting on this subject, any help would be appreciated.

dp

Not to hijack, but something came up this past weekend at the air show that i need input/clarification on. One of the other local flight schools is telling their new prospective VA students that if you go thru their program you will be "fast tracked" to Warrant Officer Status. A recruiter that got the pitch from them said that it was totally untrue, that there are so many people in line for that position already that it's almost impossible to get..

What is reality? We have had people asking us this question and don't know what to tell them.

also, this school has one price for the VA and one price for the person walking in off the street... the price for the the VA is about 40% higher than the cash price, this just doesn't seem right to us and some vets that fly/train with us. Is this ok, to bill the VA more than civilians? The owner of that school has said; "that's the way it's done in this business!" Is that true? One example is that they have a huge management/scheduling fee for the VA, but if you pay cash you don't have to pay that fee.. and the prices for their "solo insurance" is almost double for the VA students.

just wondering how to answer the questions we're getting on this subject, any help would be appreciated.

dp

Wow..thats a new one on me..what flight school is this? Let me know in a PM?

dp

Just like anything else. When someone or a company sees that a government agency is paying for something, They see it as an advantage to get extra money from an agency that has it and can pay it. Just like any kind of purchasing the government makes. We have to go through GSA to buy equipment and supplies first. For example, if we wanted a tv, we have to see if GSA offers it and if they do we can only by it through them even if the same tv a mile down the road at walmart is 300 dollars cheaper, we still have to buy it through gsa. It is these companies that get contracts with the government and jack the prices up. Another one for you. When we travel and book reservations at hotels, when we ask for the government or military rate, it is usually higher than the regular room price. It makes no sense to me and i always wonder why? I always thought that military members, or retirees would get discounts, cheaper rates or charged less for things for what they do, but that is not the case. It don't matter to people anymore. All they see is a chance to make more money off a government agency through a member that is just trying to live their life. It sucks, but that is what i have seen and experienced through my years.

Edited by spubar44

Wow, yeah that is complete crap as far as charging different prices. I did my training 141/VA and looked at a lot of schools, and that is the first time I have ever heard of a school charging exaggerated prices for the VA.

I can see somewhat if the charge for the 141 course is more due to the strict ground school and flight requirements, but to charge a VA member more for doing the 141 course than charging anybody else for the same 141 course is a big no-no imo.

I wonder if the VA would be very forgiving of a flight school screwing over the VA and the vets. I would be very interested to see this schools website and price list.

dp

I have never heard that civilian RW experience gives a 'Fast Track' to IERW. It may help out a bit on a resume. I think this school is being 'creative' in a tough market. Also, IERW slots are NOT impossible either. I have always heard that BS line. This is true for people that don't fight for it, but it's disingenuous to tell people that IERW is impossible. Talk to the people who have gone that route, not a recruiter.

With respect to the 40% over charge on vets, can you verify this? Can you send me proof so that I can get that changed? If true that school needs to lose it's VA approval. Period.

VA benefits are one of the ways that service members are recruited and compensated for their service. By raising the price 40% on vets, the owner is negating these vets' benefits and I can assure you that the VA would very much like to hear about it.

Can you PM me a link or some other proof of this?

Vets deserve better than this and I'd like to make sure the crooks in aviation aren't benfitting on the backs of those who served.

Thanks