Check Collective??

Next: Limitations are established for normal flight operations. They are not (contrary to apparent popular belief) in the manual to restrict what a pilot can do in an emergency. In an emergency a pilot can (and should) do WHATEVER he needs to do to SUCCESSFULLY land the aircraft. Successfully DOES NOT mean safely, it means a landing that everybody can walk away from. The aircraft might be on it's side in several pieces, but if everybody walks away it was successful. I will be the first person to say that the ideal situation would be landing with no damage to the aircraft or persons, but that is not always an option.

IMHO...I would agree. Do whatever you need to do to meet the needs of the emergency. All you need to do is to be able to justify your actions to the NTSB/FAA. The procedures, FAR's, POH etc.. are to keep us in the middle of the road. They no longer apply (except for emergency procedures) once you declare the emergency and having to deal with it. Some times equipment failures aren't even in the book! That's when experience kicks in.

Everyone stay safe and please read my Signature Quote at the bottom!

Cheers

Rotorrodent

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, the confusion is that you can do whatever you want to do in an emergency. You should to whatever you HAVE to do to meet the emergency. If you do not HAVE to overtorque or overspeed,

you shouldn't do it. No one expects you to crash and then say "but look on the bright side, I didn't

overtorque it!" Same as when if you successfully put it on the ground but you have to explain why everything from

the blades to the engine have to be replaced because you needlessly oversped it. "But boss, there

are a million reasons why I oversped it. None of them happened, but they could have, and I was ready

for every one of them! Good job. You're fired." I do not define a forced landing as "successful" if you crash, yet everyone walks away, unless you have nowhere to go. You screwed up!

That's the way your employer will look at it. That's the way your passengers will look at it and

that's how you will look at it. If I smack one in the Gulf because of a botched auto, yet we all

get rescued with no major injuries, will I get fired? Probably not. But you sure ain't gonna have

anyone telling you it was successful!

Edited by helonorth