Warrant Officer

Hey guys lately I have been considering flying for the army. I am a new CFI and have 170 hours in the r22. I plan to talk to a recruiter on Tuesday but was hoping I could get some info here first.

First off I have read you can apply as a civilian and get accepted strait into flight and warrant officer school. Is this truly the case or are most people prior enlisted?

Do you need college credits?

How long is the commitment?

Will the army payback Sallie Mae private loans like they payback college loans?

That is all I can think of right now but I am sure I will have more questions later. If anyone could explain the process of getting in that would be great. Thanks!

Edited by slick1537

Yes you can go direct.

Check the USAREC website for college credit, but I didn't have any when I went through.

6 Years after Flight School Grad

You can check into loan repayment programs as a part of your contract, altough I don't know how much it pays.

WO Recruiting

As far as the loan repayment goes, when I signed up (about 5 years ago), I got the loan repayment. It wasn't available for pilots but I joined enlisted. I had a good deal of loans and thought they would all be paid for. I didn't find out until the day I left for basic training that the Sallie Mae loan did not count because it was a signature loan, even though it was a signature STUDENT loan. Things may have changed since then though. Good luck.

Blake

As far as the loan repayment goes, when I signed up (about 5 years ago), I got the loan repayment. It wasn't available for pilots but I joined enlisted. I had a good deal of loans and thought they would all be paid for. I didn't find out until the day I left for basic training that the Sallie Mae loan did not count because it was a signature loan, even though it was a signature STUDENT loan. Things may have changed since then though. Good luck.

Blake

I've heard mention of the loan repayment program as well.

Although I know the Post 9/11 GI BIll is out there now too so I'm not sure if we'd have to take either or?!

Hey guys lately I have been considering flying for the army. I am a new CFI and have 170 hours in the r22. I plan to talk to a recruiter on Tuesday but was hoping I could get some info here first.

First off I have read you can apply as a civilian and get accepted strait into flight and warrant officer school. Is this truly the case or are most people prior enlisted?

Do you need college credits?

How long is the commitment?

Will the army payback Sallie Mae private loans like they payback college loans?

That is all I can think of right now but I am sure I will have more questions later. If anyone could explain the process of getting in that would be great. Thanks!

I posted a link to an article recently that states that the ratio for accepted Prior Service to WOFT Applicants is 60/40.

College credits are not "required" but the majority of folks being selected have a 4 year degree.

The commitment is 6 years after completion of all intitial training, which could take up to 18months.

I have heared first hand of Sallie Mae loans being payed off in lieu of using the GI Bill. Ask the liason at MEPS to be sure your loan will be payed before you ever sign.