R22 or Enstrom

ftbl74

My school closed a couple of months ago and we were flying 300c. The only schools in my area now fly R22/44 or Enstroms. I was wondering what schools would be better for my career? I do have 45 hours in a R44. The school that has the Enstrom also flies a R22. I don't know of many Enstrom schools out there. Are there many and would it help me to have Enstrom time or stick to the R22 and R44?

Both have very possibilies but neither would say for sure. I guess I am wondering is if I have Enstrom time along with 300c, R22, and R44 time would help me out? Either school that I choose has an R22 and I will do the 50 hours in that. I already have 45 hours in an R44. I wanted to see what people who have been in this industry for awhile think and what you guys would do.

• 3 weeks later...

Get all the training in the R22. 99% of the schools out there train in the R22. Most likely you will get on with a school that you will instruct in the Robinsons so the more time you have in the R22 and the R44 the better you will look to those schools to instruct. I wouldn't worry about the enstrom look for a school that has options to train in a turbine. The school I go to has that option I am in Northern utah and train at Mountain Ridge Helicopters give them a try they have been awesome. PM me with any questions and good luck

Can you provide us with an accurate number?

I looked on line for a bit, no joy. That being said I am prepared to bet money that 99% is a BS number. I am willing to say that because about half the schools I looked at before I started training use the 22 and none of the schools in my area use them.

I looked on line for a bit, no joy. That being said I am prepared to bet money that 99% is a BS number. I am willing to say that because about half the schools I looked at before I started training use the 22 and none of the schools in my area use them.

When I looked in the Colorado area I thought 99% of flights schools used 300's... here at sea level in the cool central coast, 99% of flight schools use R22's. I still think the majority of flight schools use the R22. Anyone willing to argue that R22 time is not required for the clear majority of beginning instructor jobs? Anyone willing to argue that the R22 is not the most used civilian training helicopter?

With the job market the way it is, every CFI should try to make themselves as marketable as possible. Not being able to teach in an R22 immediately eliminates (Insert exaggerated-made-up-statistic here, probably the majority)% of jobs.

That being said, there are other things worth considering, but if you are borrowing to pay for flight time you might wanna get rated to teach in the R22 so you can grab the first job available.

Not to say they don't exist, but I haven't yet heard of flight school's not hiring people for having R22 time. I have heard of a lot of flight schools that can't hire people with no or too little R22 time.

For what the Schweizer/Enstrom crowd lack in numbers, they make up for in passion. The first flight school I went to tried to sell me on 300's with warnings of the R22 deathtraps' low rotor inertia and mast bumping. The second flight school I went to sold me with industry dominance, improved safety training and awareness, job availability and cost.

It is clear that the 22 is the most used civilian training helicopter (but 99%, really?) and I have no particular passion for the 300 or Enstrom. I have nothing against the 22 I picked the school I did because paying more per hour is balanced by not moving, and I stay there because of my instructor. and safety awareness training is just that, a matter of training. The op has asked a serious question and I think that it is a disservice to them to make up numbers to prove a point about a helicopter out of some sense of loyalty to it. The best advice that I have seen in the many re-hashings of this argument is to get the most number of hours in the greatest number of aircraft you can.

Edited by beckwith