Are these headsets any good

spubar44

what do you think of the lightspeed zulu's?

I bought a Bose from Sporty's (30 day no-questions return policy) and My instructor had a Zulu. To be honest, I wasn't thrilled with the Bose to begin with and was wondering how it could be worth $1,000. My instructor and I switched headsets half way through a flight and 30 minutes with the Zulu was enough to send the Bose back. Needless to say, my instructor was also not thrilled with the Bose. The Zulu is cleaner sounding, fits better and doesn't squish my ears. The Bose has very small ear cups and you have to sort of cram your ear inside of it to get it fit properly, I just didn't like it. On the up-side, it does say "Bose" on the side, that's cool, right?

To be completely honest, if I could go back I would get a different headset just for the cost. It is nice, but still not sure if it worth the cost. I'd look around the $400-$500 range and you will be happy especially if you are considering a helmet for commercial work, why have such an expensive headset sit around not getting used?

There is a very long headset thread somewhere out there, but I can't even find the search button...

Edited by Sparker

cool. sparker, I appreciate the info. What do you think about the Telex Stratus Heli-XT ANR Aviation Headset. I wanted to hear that info from someone that had experienced the bose and zulu, and if you had to do it again, go for a cheaper pair. I hate to spend alot of money onsomething i have not experienced and then try a half as much pair later and end up being better. I would not be happy. I could use the excess money for training. As a matter of fact i would use the extra money saved for training.

cool. sparker, I appreciate the info. What do you think about the Telex Stratus Heli-XT ANR Aviation Headset. I wanted to hear that info from someone that had experienced the bose and zulu, and if you had to do it again, go for a cheaper pair. I hate to spend alot of money onsomething i have not experienced and then try a half as much pair later and end up being better. I would not be happy. I could use the excess money for training. As a matter of fact i would use the extra money saved for training.

I have used the Telex ANR 4000 for many years. Almost 20 in fact and have been quite pleased with it. The difference between it and the Bose is almost indistinguishable. Earlier this month I decided to make this headset my backup unit and got a Heli-XT. I have not used it much yet, but so far I have been happy with it. Initially, I was not too happy with the fact that it needed a power supply considering that other Telex ANR units are powered by the avionics line power. However, it appears that the need for the power supply is because you can also plug your cell phone or ipod into the headset. I like the ipod feature, especially on long flights. The earmuffs and headband appear to be made of tougher material than what is used in the ANR 4000. Also the alternate power sources are handy. The batteries are rechargeable by electrical outlet (with adapters for different counties), cigar lighter power source and AA batteries.

I am looking at purchasing a headset and came across the Telex Stratus Heli-XT ANR Aviation Headset. Does anyone know if these are any good or not? I can 't push myself to spend 1,000 on the bose or lightspeed Zulu's. Any input is appreciated. thanks

This has been recited on previous threads.

FWIW- I use David Clark H10-13H. Bought them new on eBay for less than $250 and they work most excellent. Why spend $1000 when you can get very satisfactory results with $250?

Save your money and use it for something else (like flying lessons!).

Cheers

Rotorrodent

rick1128, thanks for the input. glad to hear from someone that has used these heli-xt's. I have come to the conclusion that all anr's use batteries now, so no problem. So it says that it is 30db noise reduction, is that total or passive, how do they compare to the bose, since you said you cannot tell the difference in the other pair you have. And are the new heli-xt pair you have better than your old anr 4000's,? thanks for your input

rotorrodent,

Yea i know this question is asked time after time, but i see new headsets and technology coming out all the time and like to hear from someone that has taken one for the team and bought the latest and greatest and got their input on them first hand, you know. The companies, no matter who they are will make them sound like the next best thing since sliced bread.

I'd look around the $400-$500 range and you will be happy especially if you are considering a helmet for commercial work, why have such an expensive headset sit around not getting used?

Exactly...you might use the expensive headset for 700-1000hrs then have to buy a $1500 helmet to use for the rest of your career...just by a cheap headset and a good helmet and have some fun in the air :D

adam 32, makes sense. I did the same thing, but with all muy guns. Have tons of them, but they just sit in my safe looking pretty, not really doing anything. But i guess, with guns, they are money in the bank and will increase in value, so i might hold onto them, unless i need the money for training to reach my goal. OH by the way anyone want to buy a 2004 Nissan titan Crewcab 4x4 LE. Need the money for my flight training, i'll just drive the wifes car for now. I am willing to sell the truck before my guns. If anyone is interested here is a link to some pictures of the truck you can buy to help me out, think of it as buying for charity. Thanks guys, i know you know times are tough, HUH.

http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/spu...Nissan%20Titan/

By the way, i'd like 15,000, has 87,000 miles.

rick1128, thanks for the input. glad to hear from someone that has used these heli-xt's. I have come to the conclusion that all anr's use batteries now, so no problem. So it says that it is 30db noise reduction, is that total or passive, how do they compare to the bose, since you said you cannot tell the difference in the other pair you have. And are the new heli-xt pair you have better than your old anr 4000's,? thanks for your input

So far I have found them equivalent to the ANR4000. They fit a little different than the 4000's, but so far I have no complaint. If you shop around you should be able to find them for about $550. While, if you go into utility work you will need a helmet, that will be aways down the road. Get a good headset, your hearing is important.

I bought a Bose from Sporty's (30 day no-questions return policy) and My instructor had a Zulu. To be honest, I wasn't thrilled with the Bose to begin with and was wondering how it could be worth $1,000. My instructor and I switched headsets half way through a flight and 30 minutes with the Zulu was enough to send the Bose back. Needless to say, my instructor was also not thrilled with the Bose. The Zulu is cleaner sounding, fits better and doesn't squish my ears. The Bose has very small ear cups and you have to sort of cram your ear inside of it to get it fit properly, I just didn't like it. On the up-side, it does say "Bose" on the side, that's cool, right?

To be completely honest, if I could go back I would get a different headset just for the cost. It is nice, but still not sure if it worth the cost. I'd look around the $400-$500 range and you will be happy especially if you are considering a helmet for commercial work, why have such an expensive headset sit around not getting used?

There is a very long headset thread somewhere out there, but I can't even find the search button...

+1

just ordered my first headset, wow, what a stress reliever! I just wanted to make sure i made the right choice and you guys helped me. I appreciate everything. now back to the books.

spubar44,

Let me know how the new headset works. I was thinking about buying a Bose but since reading your post I've done some research and the Heli-XT seems like it might be the better choice.

I currently have a David Clark H10-13H. The H10-13H is a very good headset for the money, but I am looking for the best hearing protection and best sound quality.

NCAV8R

NCAV8R,

I sure will let you kow how they turn out. I expect them to ship out today and it shouldn't take long to get them since i ordered from a place in michigan and i am across the lake in illinois, UPS is pretty good around here. Yea, I also did a lot of thinking and research prior to making a decision. And yes you only have good hearing once and it goes down from there so prolonging the hearing is a big thing. One thing i really didn't like about the bose wasof course the price, but the other big factor was alot of reviews state that the anr on them is great, but without the anr if your batteries were to die in mid flight, they are pretty much worthless. So with the decent cost, good rep, and the info that i have found, the Heli-xt's turned out to have the most cons than pros for me at least, But others may have their own opinoin, so anyone reading this, remember, I am not saying bose are bad, so don't flip out, just stating my findings on my search for good headphones that suit me at this point in time. Thanks

I have 2 sets of DC's and a Bose. The Bose with the ANR off (flew a couple of flights forgeting to turn it on) is clearer than either DC headset and only marginally louder. I keep the DC's for passengers.

Jerry

I'll take any ANR headset over passive anyday.

If you want the best hearing protection and best sound quality, get an in-the-ear headset, either the Quiet Technologies or Clarity Aloft. The NRR is better than any ANR headset, and the speaker is in your ear, making it very high quality. IMO, the Bose is a ripoff, far too expensive. David Clark makes very durable headsets, the best customer service in the industry, but not the quietest or the best sound quality. Personally, I won't buy another headset that uses domes for sound suppression. In truth, I almost certainly won't buy another headset, period, but if I did, it would be an in-the-ear model. Lightspeed also makes one of those, but I tried it and didn't like it. That may be a subjective decision, so you may want to look at the Mach 1 also. Most reputable sellers will offer a trial period with free return, and those that won't will not get my business.

I am with GP.

Use the Mach 1 with custom moulds all the time know, used Pilot ANR but the ears got to hot and with doors off when you turned your head the wind got in and spoilt the seal

I bought myself a Bose immediately after I started training. Love it. I can rely on the batteries lasting 40 hours or more to my logbook! After awhile I learned about other headsets, prices, etc. After 200 hours with my Bose, I went with a friend to an aviation shop which had a testing center where you can try on every model. While I was super jealous of my CFI's Zulu, after I tried it on, it was NOT comfortable. (He complained the Bose was uncomfortable).

I tried on EVERY model, listened to every ANR....and the Bose was the best...FOR ME.

My recommendation, do NOT buy until you try. What your friends love may not suit you. Everyone's head is shaped a bit different. So I cannot recommend any brand. You need to find that out yourself. Just remember, you get what you pay for, and don't skimp on your "ear health", especially if you plan to fly turbines.

I bought myself a Bose immediately after I started training. Love it. I can rely on the batteries lasting 40 hours or more to my logbook! After awhile I learned about other headsets, prices, etc. After 200 hours with my Bose, I went with a friend to an aviation shop which had a testing center where you can try on every model. While I was super jealous of my CFI's Zulu, after I tried it on, it was NOT comfortable. (He complained the Bose was uncomfortable).

I tried on EVERY model, listened to every ANR....and the Bose was the best...FOR ME.

My recommendation, do NOT buy until you try. What your friends love may not suit you. Everyone's head is shaped a bit different. So I cannot recommend any brand. You need to find that out yourself. Just remember, you get what you pay for, and don't skimp on your "ear health", especially if you plan to fly turbines.

Agreed. I will not buy anything else but a BOSE. It has been the best one yet.

NCAV8R

Got the headphones, everything looks great. Very solid and well built. Ear muff material is very soft and seals great. Simple control for the anr and includes all cords for connecting to a phone and mp3 player.

Used them in the r22 yesterday and they worked great. earseals stay sealed when you turn your head and while wearing sunglasses. You can really tell when the ANR is activated and without they are still better than any passives i have tried. My instructor looked at them and tried them on and said that he likes the quality of them and he tried them on and says that he liked them better than his bose although a few ounces heavier, they seem to be more comfortable than his bose. So in all, very good quality, ANR works great, seals stay sealed and the weight is not a factor. The cost for all of this if very reasonable. I give them two thumbs up.