MD500e Question - 2 Bladed or 4 Bladed Tail Rotor System

HeloJunkie

Here is a question to all of you 500 drivers out there - one of the things I am looking at is changing out my 2 bladed T/R for the 4 bladed T/R system. I wanted to get some input before I considered it.

From what I have heard the 4 bladed T/R is MUCH, MUCH quieter, the new T/R blades will have 10,000 hours before replacement, many of the other components are "on condition" as opposed to life limited.

I have also heard you lose some tail rotor authority especially at higher altitudes.

I did not buy the 500 to do any powerline or longline work. Most of the helicopter flying that I do is with 3 or 4 people on board, sometimes at max gross weight, but for the most part at about 80% max weight. I do go to Big Bear (6.5K MSL), out to Arizona and the desert a lot, along the Pacific shoreline a LOT.

I do a lot of giving rides to kids and friends, do some S&R stuff, but basically just fly around and show people what things look like from the air. Having a quiet ship would allow me to be a much more friendly neighbor both at the airport and during all around flying. The cost does not seem too bad considering everything they are putting back there, but I would hate to find out after the fact that my ship no longer performs.

Any input anyone has would be greatly appreciated!!

Many Thanks

we had a 4 bladed on a ship I worked on.... we traded it for a 2 blade system.

pros: quiet

cons: twice as many parts

twice as much maintenance headaches

balancing issues

for the flying you do you wouldn't notice any performance issues.

did I mention we seemed to have alot of maintenance issues compared to the simple 2 blade system.....notice they don't sell alot of the 4 blade systems...

More blades means you can either turn the rotor slower, or make it smaller, either way it will be quieter. Much of the noise from any helicopter comes from the tail rotor, fenestron, or whatever is back there. Most tail rotors turn pretty fast, and the tips are near the speed of sound. That makes for a lot of noise.

More blades means more parts, thus more money up front and on maintenance.

TANSTAAFL.

More blades means you can either turn the rotor slower, or make it smaller, either way it will be quieter. Much of the noise from any helicopter comes from the tail rotor, fenestron, or whatever is back there. Most tail rotors turn pretty fast, and the tips are near the speed of sound. That makes for a lot of noise.

More blades means more parts, thus more money up front and on maintenance.

TANSTAAFL.

Thanks Gomer -

I think after researching it and talking to other 500 pilots that I will stick with the 2 bladed TR system. Does not seem like the fact that its a bit quieter pays for everything else that you have to deal with in the process.

Thanks for the input.