2 killed in helicopter crash near Forest Grove, OREGON

Very sad day here. I thought it would be nice to share with the community that there was a very large and very nice gathering of the local pilots, students and instructors that knew them. Teary eyes, stories shared.

I knew the CFI. I had never met the student.

RIP.

Very sad day here. I thought it would be nice to share with the community that there was a very large and very nice gathering of the local pilots, students and instructors that knew them. Teary eyes, stories shared.

I knew the CFI. I had never met the student.

RIP.

Wow, so sorry to hear of this tragedy.

Edited by Goldy

The KOIN 6 local news tonight reported that witnesses stated they saw "pieces falling off the helicopter" and from their website reported "Witnesses say the aircraft developed some kind of problem, started spinning around in the air...".

Sounds to me like catastrophic tail rotor failure/separation. That's one of my worst fears. Never met either of them but I'm familiar with the ship and am sure we crossed paths in this area. Very very sorry for them, and their families/friends/coworkers. Damn.

I heard about this a few hours after it happened. It is always so much harder when it is someone you know.

He was a great guy and a great pilot, I flew with him in 07-08 working on his IFR/II, and worked with him at Hillsboro for some time.

He will be missed by many, my thoughts go out his wife and his 1-year old...

RIP my friend.

I am so numb from this. Doug was a great guy....funny, always happy and positive, always made me laugh.

I am also a bit "disturbed", not sure why I felt I need to share this, but I have my polaroid here from my 1st solo....same tail number. Very sickening to me to see a picture of me, all smiling and proud standing beside 956SH, and looking at the news pictures of the same ship.

My heart pours out to his family.

Prayers to all.

Please, everyone, fly safely and remember how quickly we can loose friends an family.

Thanks, D, for posting that.

Gives me chills.

Fly safe everyone. There have been enough accidents recently. I can't bear to hear another just yet.

Sadly, I'm off soon to attend Doug's funeral. Excited to see friends, many from out of town in to attend...I just wish it was under better circumstances.

Hugs to all of us that knew Doug and Hagner.

~S