Economy bad--> EMS operators expanding/hiring !?!?

Falko

Even with the economy in the tank things still happen. People still have heart attacks, strokes and car accidents along with other stupid things.

Insurance companies still pay a bulk of the flights. EMS is proably the most stable sector of the helicopter industry. It's not with out problems but not nearly like other sectors. My company is hiring.

JD

The "M" in "EMS" is medical and less directly affected by economic conditions than some other parts of the industry. As pointed out, accidents and illness still need to be dealt with and sometimes that means a helicopter ride.

The effect of non-revenue expense (no pay patient transports) is less obvious in EMS than in some industries as they are planned for. It takes time for that effect change from the planned burden and cull marginal operations. Those aircraft and jobs are usually moved into better markets.

There are also markets that are not being served, they're developed as assets become available. At some point, markets become saturated and are thinned out to return to profitability. Atlanta went from 13-14 EMS helos to 7 practically overnight...

Hey Wally, similar problem in PHX as well. Each airport in PHX has an EMS bird some had several. Some of those have been closed or relocated.

It is the "stability" of EMS as one reason for me getting into this sector of flying. I did tours and charters and saw companies I used to work for hit hard. I made the move into EMS at just the right time.

JD